The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Heath Ledger's Death Mocked

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

John Gibson Mocks ‘Weirdo’ Heath Ledger’s Death: ‘He Found Out How To Quit You’

johngibson1.jpgOpening his radio show with funeral music yesterday, Fox News host John Gibson callously mocked the death of actor Heath Ledger, calling him a “weirdo” with a “serious drug problem.”

Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, “I wish I knew how to quit you” from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, “Well, he found out how to quit you.” Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, “We’re dead,” followed by his own, mocking “We’re dead” before playing the clip again.

Listen to it:

Throughout the course of the show, Gibson continued to bring up Ledger’s death while discussing current events, jokingly claiming that current events may have caused him to commit suicide.

On yesterday’s drop in the stock market:

GIBSON: Maybe he had a serious position in the market.

TOM SULLIVAN: And possibly today, he looked at the window and said…

GIBSON: “Oh my God.”

SULLIVAN: His name’s not Keith Bledger, right?

GIBSON: He was depressed about yesterday’s downturn in the world stock markets.

On the Democratic debate in South Carolina:

GIBSON: Apparently Heath Ledger was suicidal and his friends saw it coming. I think he watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant.

In reality, New York City Police spokesman Paul J. Browne told the New York Times that there was “no obvious indication of suicide.”

You stay classy, John Gibson.

UPDATE: In 2006, when Brokeback Mountain was released, Gibson repeatedly made fun of the film, calling it “a gay agenda movie.”

UPDATE II: Newshounds is encouraging readers to complain to Fox News about Gibson’s comments.

UPDATE III: GLAAD has started a petition asking Fox News “why they continue to provide a platform for John Gibson’s cruel and tasteless comments.”

Also, here's the Fred Phelps angle:

Westboro Baptists To Protest Heath Ledger’s Funeral

Ew...

And we thought the cretinous, vulturous paparazzi were bad!

Fred Phelps and his brood of Westboro Baptist bigots have announced plans to picket at late actor Heath Ledger’s funeral. Why? Because his role in Brokeback Mountain made him a fag enabler, of course!

Heath Ledger thought it was great fun defying God Almighty and his plain word; to wit: God Hates Fags! & Fag Enablers! Ergo, God hates the sordid tacky, bucket of slime seasoned with vomit known as ‘Brokeback Mountain’ - and He hates all persons having anything whatsoever to do with it.

Heath Ledger is now in Hell, and has begun serving his eternal sentence there - beside which, nothing else about Heath Ledger is relevant or consequential.

Christ almighty these people are insane!

We wonder whether Phelps and company will be traveling to Ledger’s homeland of Australia for the funeral. If, in fact, that’s where he’ll be laid to rest. Regardless, these people are vile, disgusting and, most of all, press whores.

If hell is somewhere that people like Fred Phelps and John Gibson aren't going, then I can't wait to get there.

Well, unless there are also flames and eternal torment, then I'll just take a nice quiet grave.

Brokeback Mountain made him a fag enabler

God Hates Fags! & Fag Enablers!

Heath Ledger is now in Hell

Some people have some serious maturing to do... This idiot shouldnt have any influence on the minds of the public. Its amazing that living in such an advanced world and society and yet we are still so densely populated with dead-set fucktards. The word of 'God' is nothing but hatred for something that has absolutely no effect on this guy, and yet he will sit there and make utterly disgusting comments about someone else's choices. If I heard a guy say something like that with true resentment, I'd have to kick him so hard in the balls that he would have a second and third adam's apple...

If I heard a guy say something like that with true resentment, I'd have to kick him so hard in the balls that he would have a second and third adam's apple...

Meh.. leave homophobes be, they're in enough terror thinking every male is trying to penetrate them. Really when I hear any kind of hate it's laughable really, definitely not offensive. If anybody becomes offended they are willing victims of the darkside, ie: ignorance, prejudice and fear. Cheers for the heads up Illegal Brain, still such hate-filled talk is common, especially on talk-back radio, he doesn't really influence the masses only those who think like that anyway.

Edited by The Dude

Really when I hear any kind of hate it's laughable really,

i hate people who speed up when u r trying to merge

i hate people who speed up when u r trying to merge

:lol:

Acceptance of everything, like jesus turning the other cheek makes you happier.. duh. I mean don't be a bitch about it, but if theres nothing you can do, hate or anger is pretty ineffective and still pretty funny really.

But the darkside has such cool Force powers!

Guest Øskorei

Whilst I couldn't give a toss about Heath Ledger's death (apart from the almost-coolness of a famous person dying young from a drug OD a'la Hendrix, Cobain, Buckley, etc), I was shocked to hear that fundamentalist christian groups in the US were geared up to protest at his family's funeral because of the gay cowpoke role he played. For fuck's sake, he's an actor, not a bloody spokesperson for the gay movement. These picketting wankers are no doubt the same fuckwits that stand outside abortion clinics and harangue couples who make the difficult personal choice to terminate (who have also, in the past, taken shotguns to doctors, successfully killing them. Pro-Life be damned!)

In a recent discussion, I was told that Tom Hanks also copped a lot of grief from fundamentalists after he played his role in "Philadelphia" all those years ago.

Most hollywood movies shit me and I am personally opposed to the message that is portrayed in them, so I wonder if these same fundamentalist groups would consider it OK if I were to take up arms and waste the pretty people that whore themselves on the silver screen in the name of brainwashing the masses with their eeeeeeeevillllllll attempts at societal reprogramming.

I'd spare Kirsten Dunst though, for Ive heard that she like the odd doobie :)

But the darkside has such cool Force powers!

Ah yes but didn't starwars teach that the dark side is ultimately self destructive, think of Anakin and how he manifested his own tragic destiny through fear of loss and all that darkside crap. This conversation really has taken quite a tangent.

re: Heath Ledger, good actor, I really liked two hands. I don't like the idea that celebrity deaths are more important than everyone else. At least his high profile brings attention to the safety of legally prescribed medications. Seriously if he used kava to get zonked instead I really wonder if that too would interact in such a fatal way with his illness.

My condolences to anybody reading this that somehow felt close to Heath through his acting or whatever. Like people weeping over Princess Diana, if this death is close to you, you have my sympathy. Otherwise I quickly got over the media tear-jerking marathon and don't wish to continue it here.

I'd spare Kirsten Dunst though, for Ive heard that she like the odd doobie :)

well yeah, "mary jane" ?

i was worried about heath's death for two reasons

1) i didn't know the new batman was finished, but it is.

2) i thought he was the voice of jasper morello. but don't worry that's joel edgerton.

though he was a cool guy because he didnt like all that hollywood celebrity shit, and he was in a few good movies.

i can't wait till fred phelps dies to see what becomes of his funeral.

Up with fag enablers!

asdasd

Edited by Teljkon

Well, I'm not exactly one to dive into a media frenzy, but personally I am usually upset by the death of anyone who I know in whatever capacity - and let's face it, the knowledge of a celebrity's personality and life that can be obtained instantly online by some Centrelink-sponsored fat old hag who has never met him is much greater than the knowledge many of us have of people we call friends and family, and yet their death would affect us to some degree, so why not be moved by the death of a likeable young Australian actor who's life was cut short before its prime? Also, he is from Perth and was around town just before he died, so it seemed even closer to home for me...

Overall though, I thought it warranted special mention because he is a famous young Australian who seemingly had a substance abuse problem and died from what looks like an OD, and I think that, apart from the fame, a lot of people on this forum can relate to that. I know it's not cool to mourn someone's death these days, let alone express disgust at the behavior of belligerent, bigoted fucktards, but I say fuck that. I'm as into funniness and free speech as the next guy but people like that commentator are just empty parasitic shells of human beings that thrive on the misery of others... there's enough fucked up shit in the world without this muck-raking media whore and these fanatical animals spewing their bad taste and vitriol into the already foetid, frothing ponds of human muck.

Anyway enough human drama, we now return you to your usual programming...

Anyway enough human drama, we now return you to your usual programming...

exactly, why get sucked in originally? There won't be any more heath ledger movies, i know him as well as any other actor, I'm not especially sad that ... Marlon Brando is dead.. is he dead? I'm pretty sure. Point is it's silly to be sad over family deaths let alone total strangers, these things happen, life goes on... no more Heath Ledge movies, that's all he meant to me, his movies.

Again My condolences to anybody that was affected, I'm just saying that I'm not. It's like a what if situation, what if he still lived? there might be some more random movies I probably won't ever see. Everything in life was meant to be and everybody's day is marked.

*impending doom music*

I think that it is pretty low to bag on somebody just after their death considering that is just after they can't retaliate. Although that is the case with anybody in the media, I liked how they made the joke of making a joke of steve irwin too early after his death on southpark... but everything is a southpark reference, if not simpsons.

Still, making an outrages joke for the sake of provoking peoples sensibilities of right / wrong is something. Being an outright abusive unsensitive unfunny fucktard with no 'humour substance'.. is another thing. If you must be offensive at least be funny is all I ask.

Point is it's silly to be sad over family deaths let alone total strangers, these things happen, life goes on...

Unfortunately, most people have not reached that stage of callous indifference to the death of their loved ones... when will they learn?

Edited by IllegalBrain

yeah dude you have to admit.... not everybody has beliefs like yours. to people who could roughly be described as atheists, the death of a loved one is a tragic loss. not everyone has the philosophy of living in the moment. ultimately i agree with you, but... eh you see my point.

i would say this though, while you should fully express your emotions in the moment if that is what needs doing, ultimately you can't hang on to things forever and to some degree you must live in the present. i think even an atheist has to agree with that.

i would say this though, while you should fully express your emotions in the moment if that is what needs doing, ultimately you can't hang on to things forever and to some degree you must live in the present. i think even an atheist has to agree with that.

I would have thought atheists more than anyone else would make the most of the present. It's part of the experience of being human to feel attachment to other living things and be saddened at their departure/loss... whether this impulse is due to evolutionary traits or something else, I genuinely feel sorry for anyone in whom this emotion is dead.

I'm pretty sure even The Dude will be upset when his parents/siblings/children/friends die.

I would have thought atheists more than anyone else would make the most of the present.

not really. atheists can be very materialistic because for some there is no need for values, ideals etc. non-atheists can have values/ideals which are counter to materialism ie forsaking material pleasure.

as a materialist, the present moment is easy to forsake in seeking a better material future for yourself, or in mourning a past hurt which you believe can't be healed.

I agree with most points here.

re: Atheism it is hard to commit to some kind of altruistic ideals without the gnowledge of community or 'god' as the totality of all existence. For a short while i dabbled in atheism and then agnosticism and now I also believe in gnosis so all those beleifs are thrown out. I will say that even as an atheist I believed in my own personal moral code as being pretty alright. I thought everyone should have morals and that.. everyone more or less thinks like me, and that my morality is somewhere close to this 'absolute' morality and that it is more like 'common sense' to act with compassion and good will.

At the same time it hasn't been until I shattered my ego on psychedelics that I saw myself from an 'outer' perspective and realised what acting selflessly means and that although I had my own ideas of altruism and community I never connected in any real sense and all actions prior had still been fueled by ego-centric desires masquerading as being a 'good person'.

I think that even without a belief in 'god' atheists can become aware of the power of community and of selfless sacrifice for the whole as essentially giving to the self anyway.

...so, higher ideals / atheism side-tangent aside...

I cannot say I have fully overcome my animal emotional instincts. And I can't help but feel an emptiness when somebody/something i love is lost. At the same time... dwelling on this feeling of loss, wallowing in the pity, is never something I recommend. So ultimately mourning somebody's death although a natural emotional reaction is an unhealthy state of mind to maintain, as Thunder has mentioned the passing of life should be greeted with a celebration of that life not continued crying about its cessation.

It's good to get it all out, the joy of crying is it's cathartic. I think anger might work better who knows? "Depression is like anger without the enthusiasm" ... point is, cry if you must but don't go over reminding yourself of how sad it all is.

...My gist of meditation is its about being aware of your thoughts, and trying to keep a still mind, when something emerges be aware of it and let it pass but do not reject it and struggle with it.

Let the emotion of sadness arise and let it pass, do not struggle with suppressing it, but also do not struggle with forgetting it, just let it be and let it pass...

all good in theory i suppose.

...woah man... I think this must be a sure sign of addiction to these forums. It's like I couldn't find any buds so I scraped my pipe and smoked that dirty resin.. wtf am I doing investing any sort of thought into a discussion that is essentially celebrity gossip? ffs

...woah man... I think this must be a sure sign of addiction to these forums. It's like I couldn't find any buds so I scraped my pipe and smoked that dirty resin.. wtf am I doing investing any sort of thought into a discussion that is essentially celebrity gossip? ffs

Ironic, because that is probably the only post of yours I can remember reading that made any sense to me.

Ah the irony...

I think we should face it, the corporate controlled mass media market is the only thing that seems can connect our totally disparate worldviews. It is the only global entity that could foster an understanding between IB and myself. It must be proof of the transcendental power inherent in Hollywood.

Edited by The Dude