The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderIdeal

mouldy bud

no old threads on this

what can you do with mouldy bud?

obviously the best solution is not to buy wet gear, or if you do, dry it out straight away.

what would you suggest for mouldy gear though? i'm pretty sure you can get sick from it. would ingestion be safer? would a vaporiser be safer? using a jet lighter and making sure you burn the motherfuck out of it before pulling?

oil or hash are the answer to that, if you can make water hash, the mold will float while the trichs will sink, or oil is the other answer, although with oil depending the solvent you can extract what is in the mold as well, while this shouldnt be a problem I have heard some peolpe say you shouldnt make oil from mouldy stuff for that exact reason but i know others who have and have had no problems with it.

Basically, the problem with Botrytis sp. (bud mold, grape mold etc.) is the spores. They can cause an asthma-like condition called 'Winegrowers Lung.' If the extraction process used involves sufficent filtering to get the spores out (doubtful) it would be fine, but how can one confirm the presence or absence of spores? Also, while water hash may separate some of the spores off, I highly doubt it does it sufficiently to have no health risk. Don't put mold spores in your lungs, it isn't worth it :unsure:

Edited by FM.

while i agree that mouldy any thing is not cool, if you make oil there should be no spores in the end product, if you can run it through a good filter like a very fine grade of activated carbon then there shoud be no spores at all, like i said above the only issue there is you can extract what is in the mould as well, any how i think i do more filtering than most people even if there is no mould so with the methods most people use you are probally correct, and with the water one, if you are using bubble bags once you get down to the 73, 45, 25, micron screens there shoud be very little mould left in there, esp not if you have been filtering it off the top evey run. what we have done before is done a bubble run then made oil out of the product that was in the 160, 120, 90, micron bags and kept the bottom bags as were as they seemed nice and clean. basically if you fell like putting in a lot of effort and making sure things are clean there are things you can do with it, but as said above mould is best avoided and kept away from the lungs.

thanks very much for the replies.

would it be safe just to eat it instead?

while i agree that mouldy any thing is not cool, if you make oil there should be no spores in the end product, if you can run it through a good filter like a very fine grade of activated carbon then there shoud be no spores at all, like i said above the only issue there is you can extract what is in the mould as well, any how i think i do more filtering than most people even if there is no mould so with the methods most people use you are probally correct, and with the water one, if you are using bubble bags once you get down to the 73, 45, 25, micron screens there shoud be very little mould left in there, esp not if you have been filtering it off the top evey run. what we have done before is done a bubble run then made oil out of the product that was in the 160, 120, 90, micron bags and kept the bottom bags as were as they seemed nice and clean. basically if you fell like putting in a lot of effort and making sure things are clean there are things you can do with it, but as said above mould is best avoided and kept away from the lungs.

Well, if you could filter down to 10-15 microns (Botrytis sp. spore size) you'd be fine. And regarding 'what's in the mold'; that's not the issue. It's the inhalation of the extremely small spore particles that cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis, not any chems in them. Aspergillus molds, on the other hand, are quite carcinogenic and are probably what you are thinking of.

would it be safe just to eat it instead?

Yup. If you've ever had late harvest wine, you already have consumed Botrytis cinerea orally.

about eating it, before we go on what type of mold are we talking about, you can get quite a few types on bud, is it on the inside or the out, long or short haired, black or white or grey, not that i know a lot about them but i know some are worse than others

I never could get high from eating bud, despite many attempts... does that [not] happen to anyone else?

The mildew n mould was half the reason I stopped getting hold of the shit... for a while there was a nice lil crossover period where just about any indoor gear of reasonably potency was juuust beginning to mold up, so after a while a lot of people took to thinking that the "mold smell" was the same as the "kind smell" and couldnt tell fuzzy hairs and fruiting bodies from actual trichos n resin... tools... so the cycle kept going. Now I see mates with bags of hydro esp where its probably 30 percent mold by weight once you start breaking the shit up and they cant even see it "nah mate you must be seeing things" yeah ok right.

That was kinda ok as I could usually source passable bush bud but then it started getting the same thing , whether during the cure/store phase or the grow itself i dont know...guess the spores hang out on seeds then people use em again, etc, bit of a cycle.

I'd take the gear back to whatever under-a-rock-dweller sold it in the first place,demand a refund whilst pointing out that theyd have to pay more than 50 bucks to clean you off their living room floor and walls, and ask em if theyd buy a bottle of rum with petrol in it or a box of cornflakes full of old dirty bandaids... then refuse to buy anymore... thats the problem with the whole trade, its "oh well yknow mate its all he had, bla bla, better than nothing..." no its not. Nothing at least means you have another 50 bucks in your pocket, and a much reduced chance of carcenoma in your lungs.

For me , the mould got too much when after a couple days on even slightly dodgy gear id get these weird all over cramps but not quite cramps, shivering and feeling freezing and boiling all at the same time, shaking, sore lungs... all for an overpriced bag of crap that smelt good but seemed to not contain much in the way of activity.

But nah mate...it'll chop up! Wankers. Half the problem is that most people with the brains to sell the shit properly, has the brains not to sell it at all haha, leaving nothing but perennial teenagers and the various speed-goit-scratching "old mates" around the place.

Better luck next time Thunder, somewhere on Erowid is a doc about just what moulds have been found growing in test samples and what they do to you, etc... maybe try n find that!

VM

VERT it's pretty disappointing hey.

i don't think it's got much to do with spores on the bud. it just happens to wet gear when you've had it for a little while, i know because there has been lots of wet gear lately. so the problem is that it's not cured properly. why is that? because the scumbag grower or high-up dealer wants to sell bags of fucking moisture with some bud in them, and nowhere along the supply chain is anybody willing to cop it in the wallet by drying it and losing weight.

people like their weed. it's very hard for them to say 'no this is shit, i'll just quit man fuck you'. i quit reasonably often and supply problems is basically why i quit last year, that and the fact that it's a habit i can kick but i CANNOT keep it under control, it's all or nothing (nicotine probably the reason for this anyway).

anyway pot as a habit is pointless except for relaxing a bit and social reasons, the memory loss and energy loss negates any positive effects. i'm in favour of using pot only occasionally. when you actually get stoned for the first time in weeks it can be quite an enlightening experience.

BRAIN that's the first time i've heard anybody say that, i can get way mashed from eating.

TASSI it's on the outside. will try to get more info.

ok so some had a light, whitish powdery stuff (short hair) but the worst stuff was like bread mould with some blue green stuff too.. they've already been tossed but i might eat the light white stuff hey

about eating it, before we go on what type of mold are we talking about, you can get quite a few types on bud, is it on the inside or the out, long or short haired, black or white or grey, not that i know a lot about them but i know some are worse than others

Of course, any number of fungi imperfecti can attack bagged, moist flowers, but the one that is most common and begins it's attack on pre-harvest material is Botrytis cinerea. This is what is known commonly as "Bud Mold." There are even several proprietary products to specifically combat this fungus. Do a google search on [botrytis bud mold *favorite flower*] and you'll find lot's of good info from the usual places and more.

VERT it's pretty disappointing hey.

i don't think it's got much to do with spores on the bud. it just happens to wet gear when you've had it for a little while,

Where do you think it comes from then? Fungi come from spores. Spores are on the surface of literally everything. If improperly cared for or stored, things like plant material will then be good growing grounds for the spores to germinate. My point isn't the residual spores inherent to plant material. It is the huge quantities produced by the mold growing on the material. Because molds like this are fungi imperfecti, they need no fruiting bodies and are sporulating almost constantly as they grow. If you see mold on the flowers, you've already got heavy spore loads on the flowers. Read the link I posted above on hypersensitivity pneumonitis to see what this means for your health. I'm not trying to be an argumentative dick; I'm just trying to help folks make informed decisions about their health based on factual, scientific information.

Ok, spores are made of chitin and inhaling mold can't be too good for you, but I never met a chitin anything that could withstand being sucked through a conepiece while exposed to yellow (or hotter) flame through water and still have germination chance?.

Anyway, I generally won't smoke it if it looks even slightly sus. Best bet is to eat it via standard procedure TI.

... and i appreciate it FM. i'm glad i started this thread.

Spores are on the surface of literally everything.

that's exactly the point i was trying to make where you quoted me. the presence of spores on bud isn't the problem, it's the fact that the buds weren't dried properly, allowing those spores to become mould which will create an unhealthy quantity of new spores.

apoth it's good to hear that a lighter destroys those fuckers, nevertheless, i would expect some to fall through before being incinerated so it's far from ideal in my books. you wouldn't have that problem with a vaporiser, but then there is no water filter to grab the spores that might have just filled the chamber when you plonked the bud down.

got a bag of raw cocoa beans ,many of the skins appear to have a blue mold on them,the taste is so strong,red wine flavour, that i find them inedible.

what can i do with them?

i wonder if this is the reason chocolate products are more common than beans or nibs?

remmember that disclaimer from the chocamine pack!

t s t .

Maybe you could irradiate it :P

I smoked mouldy stuff in my younger days. Fortunately (based on what I have read above!) it tasted like shit so I never smoked it much.

I had a bag of coffee beans (whole) do the same thing TST, they germed ok but had a massive susceptibility to damping off afterwards... but yeah it had a kind of goony bag smell about it, I guess its workin on the sugars held in the husk, or something. Kind of powdery blue stuff.

i have seen ppl irradiate mouldy gear , via the microwave, also seen people plunge whole chunks into steaming hot water then force dry em... heard about various essential oils etc too.

bastards.

VM

If ruined or the shake just grind up and put in regular rubbing alcohol.

In a tall necked container, 1/2 full.

And then add vitamin E which will dissolve. Not much as that going to be the good stuff to draw off.

Shake as if a genie was in the wine bottle.

Let rest 1/2 hour.

Next is just add water so the water/alcohol mixture so it comes into the neck of the bottle so its easy draw off .

Addition of the water dilutes the alcohol.

And oils floats on water.

So can't lose anything just so long as the oil is in a narrow place to emerge and be drawn off.

A small very tall necked wine bottle is best for drawing the floating oil thats on top.

Can use 200 vodka I suppose.

If its complete shit theres the dilure sulfuric acid isomerization which I never tried.