The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
holymountain

attack of the scales?

so i bought those big pachanois in my last post and after having them a few days they have developed a nasty grey something or other on their skins. using the search engine i figured they could be scales so i tried to scrub them off with a toothbrush but could not get them off. i'm wondering if it's just scarring caused by the spines of the other cacti as i'm sure when i transported them they might have got knocked around and stabbed each other. either way i'm rather concerned especially because it spread in a couple of days and turned these very healthy cacti in serioulsy damaged looking ones. i also gave them a light spray of very watered down 'natural plant and soil nutrient' the other day it is 100% organic and contains seaweed extract and humate. methinks this may not have been a good idea and thats what might have caused the nastiness. is it common for pedros to react this way after spraying? definitley not going to do it again then.

also my little bridgesii has recently got himself a few tiny black spots that appear very similar to the dreaded black death. they are mainly at the top but there are a few down the bottom as well. just wondering if i should leave them alone or at what point i need to take action... cheers..

SL371386.jpgSL371375.jpgSL371382.jpg

Your pedros (which I might add look deceptively scop-like, or at least in the first 2 pics) look to have copped some transport damage... Probably just rubbing against each other and roughing up the epidermis a bit. Keep them wounds bone dry for the next week or two and they'll heal fine. Well, they'll never disappear into green flesh, they'll always remain, but at least they wont rot.

Actually, upon a second glance, they appear to be more 'patchy' than 'scratchy'... Scale could definately be a culprit. Perhaps let them dry out a little more before giving them another hit with an old toothbrush or a trusty finger nail. If you can get it off clean, it may heal into fairly normal looking flesh, but I have a feeling it will be a permanent thing. Either way, in a couple seasons they'll have plenty of new healthy growth that will look much nicer :)

looks like some old scale scabs.. give the rest of the plant a couple of good rub downs every week or so, especially in the cracks of the ribs, the scale insects look like little 1-3mm circles that rub off quite easily.

It definitely looks like a scar/scab rather than something alive.

If it really did turn up in just a couple of days where there was none before, my guess is sunburn.

good idea and thats what might have caused the nastiness. is it common for pedros to react this way after spraying? definitley not going to do it again then.

also my little bridgesii has recently got himself a few tiny black spots that appear very similar to the dreaded black death. they are mainly at the top but there are a few down the bottom as well. just wondering if i should leave them alone or at what point i need to take action... cheers..

depends... i have gotten black spots on scops during summer... they tend to just dry and scab over to no detriment. If they look like the shit in a recent post, then that may be more serious.

Edited by XipeTotec

yeh exscale damage Id say, they dont drop of when they die have close look make sure its not infected...

I thought growing environment or growing medium were main factor's ( only 2 factor's ) that could lead to any sort of health issue when dealing with trich or echinop, Black rot affected one of my pach's too-

Ithink humidity and air flow could be cause of the black spoting

Sina's got a good point, things can burn in two days,

Cacti get stressed if left in hot cars for too long as well, (2 hours) i found this out by accident!

thanks everyone. they all seem to be in a stable condition..if things get worse you'll hear about it trust me (as i'll be asking for more help :) i've only posted a couple of times here but i've been cruising the archives and i dig this place very much. we are very lucky to have such a site. once you encounter the great plant teachers there really is no going back so it's a real treat to find a site like this where such subjects can be discussed...without anyone cautiously backing away....peace.