The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
The Dude

Loph and Trich seed propagation mixes.

Ok so here's a question, whats a good prop mix? Here's what data I've come by UTFSE.

YT suggests, 70% coir 30% cheap soil and 10% Organic poo mix.

I was thinking maybe some coarse sand?

and have it as 50%coir 20%potting mix 20%sand 10%compost

something like that, I suppose Apothecary will tell me I'm crazy for using too much stuff. And I guess I am, so what's the Optimal prop mix in your guys experience? also how long to microwave? can u over-nuke something? 30seconds on high should do yeah?

Any difference for lophs/trichs?

After that I keep em in those plastic containers with plastic baggie over it with some air holes maybe, and keep that well humid for... fiik how long, once they look big enough to enter the big wide world, I think it might be a bit late to plant seeds, but why not?

Aight I already got me some coir i got me some compost i got me some potting mix, 2:1:1 TOO EASY!

I just use plain old potting mix (my fav brunnings australian gardener... i get paid every time i spruik that shit) with the top layer sifted, so it is fine. I dont use baggy, just a takeaway container (with lid) out of the sun(inside for me) humidity varies... some say 6-12 months, apoth says one month. i havnt found any difference with this method between the lophs and trichs. The truth of the matter is that cacti seeds are one of the easiest seeds to germ. Just dont mix up your weed killers and pyretherums :)

Edited by XipeTotec

I dont really like coco coir for any use - I find that it is a pain to work with due to the long strands which dry quickly and shrink and expand when watered (more as a collective mass than each strand/clump). For an alround cacti seed raising mix, I'd go with quality 'premium' potting mix (or seed raising mix), course sharp sand and maybe a little perlite in a ratio of ~ 4:2:1. Just filter out the larger particles as well as the dust. You want small particles with lots of room for air movement, but not so much that roots cannot form between particles. Large particles maximise air pockets (can be hard to form a good root system) and dust clogs air pockets (no air to the roots = death by rot).

I dont think you can really 'over-nuke' potting mix, but be careful if you have lots of rocks/gravel in your mix - I'm sure that it could pose a potential danger when heated in a microwave. Just put the moist soil mix in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Maybe puncture the wrap with a fork for steam release. 5 mins on a high setting should be plenty.

As for difference between trich and loph soils - I dont think it matters too much, as both are fairly tolerant. Perhaps add a tiny bit of lime to your loph pots to mimic native soils. Just keep trichs under humidity a little longer than lophs. And when potting and sealing in a bag - dont put holes in the bag until you want to start acclimitising the seedlings to regular humidity levels.

It's never too late to plant seeds - just do it under a cheap fluoro light. You will get year round germination that way, and weather wont knock them about.

Just propagation sand by itself with a weak nute added has worked well for me, just don't let it dry out, and keep in a humid enviroment.

Edited by ReclusE

the coco thing might vary by brand n grade... my cac prop mix is probably 50 percent coco and 50 percent medium-coarse sand with a touch of soil n kelp added. I nuke for as long as it takes to smell cooking dirt, then leave em almost sealed to cool down (otherwise theres the vacuum thing). And i water before nuking, help disperse moisture evenly and cleans up any nasties living in the water too. I've had lops germ in 48 hours, the longest anything has taken has been around a week, and with less than a year in their tubs (crazy clarks cheapie tupperware works for me) theres a shitload of trich hybrids begging me to get around to potting em up.

then again the coco I use is strictly "fines", no strings really, I squeeze mine out in shadecloth and mainly use the stuff that makes it thru the mesh for prop mixes. Most coco gets a bit grumpy if you let it dry right out though, can be hard to really re-wet properly despite claims.

Also used reasonably "dead" cac potting blends, few kinds, and never had any real dramas.

I think a lot of the "preciousness" of cac germing has to do with the limited amount of seed around onceuponatime, and people assuming that because a plant fucks you up it is somehow trickier to grow than something you merely intend to eat for tea, or look at the flowers, etc. I find most plants respond well to a healthy dose of being left the fuck alone to sort themselves out :lol:

What has be stuffed is why half my loph beans popped as little green globes and the other half just rocketed up to half an inch tall like lil trichs, but with the typical nobbly loph head on em, when the surface of the mix was evenly lit and everything was planted to the same depth... weird shit.

I started most of my beans in the middle of winter, last year, and had no real hassles... meant I could leave em on the windowsill and not worry about em baking in 10 mins flat, too. Was probably getting down to about 10 deg c overnight, no higher than 25 during the day. Other batches were started at the start of summer, or al ittle into it, and germed quicker by a couple days but aren't growing any faster than the winter jobs.

These things self sow in the deserts of some of the toughest parts of the world... I really dont think they need back rubs with organic cocoa butter to be at their best, just the right amount of water and somewhere they can grow without cooking seems to do it.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Vert said it all in the last paragraph.

I don't deny the possibility of having to create a soil mix due to climatic conditions, but hell if xipe can grow cacti seedlings in Tasmania using the same soil mix as me (i.e. NONE!), then you should be right duder :wink:

When I first started growing from seed i tried all different mixes, now I use one that was reccomenned by teo. Searles cati and succulent mixes, nothing comes close in my opinion. It's what I use for all my cacti seeds now.

i use a mix of cacti mix and sand. works fine.

except for bloody aztekiums (though it could be due to old seeds?)

has anyone found that they have had to modify conditions for specific types of cacti?

having said all that, the idea has occured to me lately that some kind of icecube tray with the odd added hole, etc, would be handy as far as minimising root damage during TPing etc. Just a thought. You can use it if ya like.

VM

yes, different cacti sometimes need different conditions. for lophs/trichs i always just use straight sand ad keep them humid for a few months (and fertilize). astros and ariocarpus, for me anyway, don't do well as long in a super humid environment so i take them out earlier.

i think one reason we see everyone claiming their mix is AMAZING and it may BLOW for someone else, is their climate. the local climate can make certain mixes complete crap. for example, using larger % of coco here is HORRIBLE cause it is so humid it just soaks up the air moisture and actually keeps the substrate semi moist all the time....which leads to rot. but in drier climates it probably works great!