The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Growing "Peyote" and "False Peyotes" from Seed

could it be that perhaps diffusa/fricii/koehresii parted ways form williamsii and they are all in fact different species? or perhaps all lophophora were like this and williamsii parted ways with the fricii/koehresii group?

any williamsii/diffusa crosses i have tried have failed, no matter who was the pollen donor/receiver......but my "koehresii" sure does love my "fricii" pollen!!!!

just so you know i am using these plants...you can look at the flowers and draw your own conclusions on ID, but i believe them to be koehresii and fricii.

in fact one of my koehresii has 3 fat fruits ripening now...should be interesting to see how the babies look.

fricii.jpg

lophophoradiffusa1.jpg

teotz. good luck on your cacti, they look great!!!!

in 10-20 years your ariocarpus may look like this beast!

ar8.jpg

quite a few of these false peyotes contain hordenine as the main alkaloid.

hordenine seems to have some stimulant effects and is a mao inhibitor.

combining false peyotes and true peyotes would give increased effects.

this may have been done when they could not find enough true peyotes.

t s t .

wow, that ariocarpus.....didnt dream they grew that big

what is the hight of that plant?......pics can distort scale

t s t .

you can look at the flowers and draw your own conclusions on ID, but i believe them to be koehresii and fricii.

Yep, I'd deam your IDs to be spot on. The kaktusy booklet on the lophophorae indicate that there are indeed the 4 sub species, L williamsii, fricii, koehresii and diffusa, with williamsii looking somewhat unique from the others which fall under a possible 'diffusae' classification. I can see where this might be very well true - williamsii indeed does have a unique alkaloid profile and a very distinct appearance. The others, fricii, koehresii and diffusa are all somewhat similar in appearance, perticularly in rib structures. Diffusa tend to have a much brighter skin (epidermis) and I believe that it was via environmental and breeding changes between williamsii and diffusa that the others, fricii and koehresii came to be. No real basis for this other than localities, appearance, flower structure, etc. Would be interesting to see how the cross breeding/sterility/fertility comes into my thoughts.

I wonder why it is that some crosses can only work one way and not both (i.e. mother to father, not father to mother, etc)? Michael, do you have any suggestions for this?

teotz, can you edit post 69 to include the ids of the cactii please?

thanx

t s t .

I'd agree with four different "species," but I probably wouldn't so quickly put L. fricii over towards L. diffusa even if L. koehresii will accept L. fricii pollen while L. williamsii seemingly will not.

Anderson infers from rib structure that L. williamsii has more "evolutionary divergence and specialization." Should both L. diffusa (and by extention L. koehresii) and L. fricii lack such "divergence and specialization" due to being more "primative" forms of Lophophora maybe the possibiliy exists that L. fricii and L. diffusa (L. koehresii) can cross easily both ways due to their being less "specialized" while neither can cross readily into the more "evolved" L. williamsii.

kadakuda, though I would agree with the ID of your plants, I am always weary of how "pure" most of the L. fricii in cultivation is. I have more faith in L. koehresii due to it being in cultivation for a much shorter time.

Ace, I would strongly disagree that L. fricii is "somewhat similar in appearance, particularly in rib structures," to either L. diffusa or L. koehresii, particularly when the plants are fully mature.

~Michael~

Ace, I would strongly disagree that L. fricii is "somewhat similar in appearance, particularly in rib structures," to either L. diffusa or L. koehresii, particularly when the plants are fully mature.

No doubt that there are quite obvious differences, but in general I think that they are rather similar and can be somewhat difficult to ID without a flower (at least IME, if no one elses). The pics in the loph ID thread show the differences and similarities, mostly that williamsii is the one that tends to stand out the most (when observing rib structure only). The others within the so-called 'diffusae' (diffusa, fricii, koehresii) all tend to have a somewhat 'pinecone-like' type of patterning in the ribs, whereas williamsii tend to have very distinct vertical or occasionally spiraling ribs.

That said, diffusa is also very easy to pick due to its bright yellow-green skin and 'dumpling' look. Fricii is easy to spot due to the 'pinecone' pattern and greyish skin and finally Koehresii can be slightly harder to spot due to its similarities with the others, only truly standing out due to its long and pointed flowers. The flowers are always the easiest way to tell the 4 subspecies apart, but without them, things can be hard especially for those without too much experience.

Post #69-

1st pic- C. compacta

2nd pic- A. fissuratus

3rd pic- M. craigii

4th pic- M. craigii

5th pic- Astrophytum asterias

More pics soon!

I am always weary of how "pure" most of the L. fricii in cultivation is. I have more faith in L. koehresii due to it being in cultivation for a much shorter time.

yes there is always doubt with cultivated plants, no question. guess teh only way is to get wild collected seeds, but then there is doubt they were ID'd correctly...

EDIT: just a thought that crossed my mind. I have tried giving my fricii pollen from koehresii, williamsii and regular diffusa (3 different fricii) and have never once gotten seeds from them except when crossed with other "fricii". i have also only gotten it to produce with its pollen in koehresii. this makes me wonder how much it could have been hybridized in cultivation. surely it is possible, but i can see other forms which are much more receptive to other "species/subspecies" being more dirty in their genes.....jsut a thought....i totally agree they are possibly mutts of some kind.

jsut a thought.

the above ariocarpus is about 15x20 cm...roughly.

Edited by kadakuda

This has turned out to be quite a thread...

Tho you guys are a little off topic...

O well....all my threads seem to turn out like this. :lol:

hehe sorry dude, at least this time we are learning something instead of...you know what...

on a aside note i have forgotten to water my astro's for over a month, which made them begin flowering...how nice :)

for your things like astros (many cv's have harder skin than other cacti) i would suggest you use slow release fertilizer and don't over do it. they can split fairly easily if over fed/watered...a way bigger threat in my opinion than rot.

It's interesting that a dry spell made it flower.

Any discussion is welcome in my thread...

I'm just glad the drama has past.

Edited by Teotz'

It's interesting that a dry spell made it flower.

You'd be suprised at how the thought of death instantly pushes a plant to flower. Often recently cut trichs will set out buds, and usually even bloom due to the fact that they might die in the near future. Same goes with cannabis when the light cycle is cut back (simulating the end of the growing season). It's quite amazing how the survival mechanism for a species can be seen so commonly throught all of nature.

tis amazing. in general the more you water your astros the less they flower. very general terms...but they like dry conditions to flower.

If ANYONE knows ANYBODY who has eaten psychoactive cacti BESIDES Lophophora and Trichocereus PLEASE tell me EVERYTHING you POSSIBLY can tell me about it!

If ANYONE knows ANYBODY who has eaten psychoactive cacti BESIDES Lophophora and Trichocereus PLEASE tell me EVERYTHING you POSSIBLY can tell me about it!

Ummmm yeah right!!!! :rolleyes:

Sooooo Teotz how are those 'false peyote' seedlings coming along? I would presume you have atleast 100 seedlings of Ariocarpus spp. and others growing along nicely by now?

Just opening a fresh packet of Astrophytum asterias and Astrophytum capricorne between sentences. Ready to start germinating them tommorow.

Ummmm yeah right!!!!

I know....I know...

Keep you fingers crossed....

I posted on every single entheogenic forum I could think of....

Hopefully SOMEBODY out there has eaten one....

I kinda doubt it tho...

I'm starting from seed in the spring.

I do have some new adult plants tho.

what exactly are you looking to find out, if i may ask? if these cacti get you high? sick? how long they take to grow. if you state your specific goal then maybe it will be easier to discuss the topic ;)

Keep you fingers crossed....

What for?

If I did that my fingers would get sore and also I would probably develop arthritis and then I couldn't come on here and type out snide remarks in your general direction?

I posted on every single entheogenic forum I could think of....

Hopefully SOMEBODY out there has eaten one....

I kinda doubt it tho...

Did you consider that possibly your aproach leaves a little to be desired? Well quite alot actually... Maybe a less pushy approach might yield more positive results. Have you actually tried talking one on one to people within the ethnobotany community? Or better yet indigenous people from Mexico? Or maybe even starting a well constructed and well thought out poll?

I'm starting from seed in the spring.

SPRING!!! That means you will be down a couple of months these mexican miniatures take a long time to grow you know, every second counts.

I do have some new adult plants tho.

As a matter of fact so have I. What did you pick up for the your collection Teotz? Would be keen to see pics, always keen to see cacti pics. I have recently picked up 3 new Ariocarpus spp. of varying ages, a small one, a quite old one and a very old one. Pics will end up in the Ariocarpus thread that I started when I get my camera happening.

As a matter of fact so have I. What did you pick up for the your collection Teotz? Would be keen to see pics, always keen to see cacti pics.

oh no.

I am sick of seeing that same seirra blue and astrophytum and ariocarpus.

what exactly are you looking to find out, if i may ask? if these cacti get you high? sick? how long they take to grow. if you state your specific goal then maybe it will be easier to discuss the topic ;)

If any of these cacti are truely psychoactive drugs.

I am sick of seeing that same seirra blue and astrophytum and ariocarpus.

Me and my lovely girlfriend of two years broke up, So I no longer have access to a camera.

Just got another ario and put in some Ario seeds this morning, come on Teotz'. You're lagging behind now. Think you are going to have to set up a proper grow room as I have suggested to you before. I can't see how you hope to have decent results if you don't.

Oh well not my problem.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

I still got like 70 years if I live to be 88...

Chill out!

I told you, this spring is when I'm ordering all my stuff!

I don't have the money to build a freaking grow room!

if the goal is simply to find out if they are "magical" you wont need to buy very expensive plants. you can pick up pretty old seed grown astros for like $20 from nurseries cause they are not good breeding quality...but for your questions, they will answer them just fine. dont want some fancy $900 cactus to try to eat lol. if you are interested in some cheaper species that are mature, pm me. if you are actually interested. i am mostly ito breeding, but have odds and sods around that are no good for breeding attempts so i can make you a deal :)

Germanitating Aztekium, Ariocarpus, Turbinicarpus, Strombocactus and many others!

I also obtained some adult specimens of Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele

turbinicarpus_pseudomacrochele.jpg

(Note- The above is not mine)

Edited by Teotz'