The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

cacti tissue culture

WTF?! :blink:

Is that cactus growing off agar? looks pretty cool anyway. Can you grow dro cactus, with hanging roots that are exposed and misted annat? <-- that would look pretty cool and Also be a headfuck to do.

that would have to be the greatest thing i've seen since those glow in the dark cats(although i personally do not agree with it)

that would have to be the greatest thing i've seen since those glow in the dark cats(although i personally do not agree with it)

glow in the dark cats????

that guy bunkenberg has a tonne of cactus photos, make sure you check them out. wonder if he's related to backeberg.

yeh glow in the dark cats, didnt you see it on the news??? google it.

(rubs cicada pee and spittle into my 3rd eye and goes into lotus position) Ohmmmmm....Darklight appear before us now, oh great one of the testtube and agar,Ohmmmm.... come enlighten us with ur enduring wisdom of all things tissue culture Ohmmmmmm let us know know, how to further our cacti collection utilising ur unfathomable knowledge oh great and Ouzoie master!! Ohmmmmmm....

(lays out an offering of ouzo and a pack of b&h smooths)

Title: In vitro propagation of Notocactus magnificus

Author(s): de Medeiros LA, de Ribeiro RCS, Gallo LA, de Oliveira ET, Dematte MESP

Source: PLANT CELL TISSUE AND ORGAN CULTURE 84 (2): 165-169 FEB 2006

Document Type: Article

Language: English

Cited References: 14 Times Cited: 0

Abstract: Most commercially grown cacti can be easily propagated by seed and/or cuttings. A group of rare and endangered species does not fit into this category and is therefore a good candidate for in vitro propagation productions as a tool to overcome habitat and plant-destruction. The number of rare and endangered species of Cacti goes into about 100. Many show a low production and germination of seeds and plantlets are prone to damping-off, making the in vitro propagation a feasible alternative for the multiplication and conservation of their germplasm. The aim of the present investigation is to establish a protocol for the in vitro culture and plant regeneration of Notocactus magnificus, the blue cactus, a highly ornamental species, native to Brazil. The surface sterilization of the explants was achieved with immersion for 10 min in sodium hypochlorite solution for either seeds (0.25% v/v) or ribs segments (1% v/v). Callus formation was observed when explants were cultured on MS medium supplemented with sucrose at 2% (w/v), 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid 0.5µM, benzylaminopurine 4.4µM, thiamine HCl 0.4 mg l(-1) and i-inositol 100 mg l(-1). The regeneration of shoots was carried out on MS medium supplemented with either different concentrations of benzylaminopurine and l-naphthaleneacetic acid, or kinetin and indole-3-acetic acid. The highest number of shoots occurred when MS medium was supplemented with benzylaminopurine 22.2µM, sucrose 3% (w/v) and agar 0,6% (w/v). In vitro spontaneous rooting of shoots was observed after eight months under culture on MS medium. Only in vitro rooted shoots developed into normal plants under glasshouse culture conditions. This in vitro protocol should be useful for the conservation as well as mass propagation of Notocactus magnificus.

Author Keywords: Cactaceae; callus proliferation; Eriocactus magnificus; Notocactus magnificus; organogenesis; plant regeneration; plant tissue culture

KeyWords Plus: INVITRO-PROPAGATION; MICROPROPAGATION; CACTACEAE

Addresses: Gallo LA (reprint author), Univ Sao Paulo, Escola Super Agr, Piracicaba, SP Brazil

Univ Sao Paulo, Escola Super Agr, Piracicaba, SP Brazil

Hi Watertrade,

'Plants from test tubes- an introduction to micropropagation' Kyte, Lydiane & John Kleyn (1996) Timber press. 240pp.

A great book to start you off.

There are the growing guidelines for two genera of cacti in this book.

- Epiphyllum and Mammillaria

I'm guessing the Mammillaria medium would be the one most useful to you.

It's based on MS salts with a few organics added ( lots of sugar, amino acids, vitamins and growth regulators).

Explants used are tubercles.

I can send you a copy of the details if you like.

:)

mmmmmm fissuratus

Hi Watertrade,

'Plants from test tubes- an introduction to micropropagation' Kyte, Lydiane & John Kleyn (1996) Timber press. 240pp.

A great book to start you off.

There are the growing guidelines for two genera of cacti in this book.

- Epiphyllum and Mammillaria

I'm guessing the Mammillaria medium would be the one most useful to you.

It's based on MS salts with a few organics added ( lots of sugar, amino acids, vitamins and growth regulators).

Explants used are tubercles.

I can send you a copy of the details if you like.

:)

thanks mate - I can actualy get a copy of that from my library - I will pick it up when I fix up my fine ;)

cheers :)

ive got an article specific to the propagation of lophs by tissue culture, im passing it onto darklight.

Hey Watertrade, how are your tissue culturing experiments going ? 

Personally my journey into tissue culturing cactus has been one problem after another, but things are very slowly starting to come together :)

Here are some 9 month old Astrophytum callus that are almost ready to be split up and transferred, next steps going to be working out how to trick the callus tissue into puping

Fun times ahead :lol: 

tc%20pics.png

• Like 7