The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tonic

URGENT!!

as much as i agree, i wouldn't go guaranteeing that to people.

now that i know they only go 11k/h, i think i will continue my habit of running my ass and not stopping.

i found this wrapped around a tbm pot this afternoon.

I hope it doesnt eat all the frogs and lizards that live here.

snake%20skin.png

• Like 3

Spies sent by our reptile overlords.

• Like 1

Will a brown snake hunt at night ?

has anyone been attacked by a brown snake after dark ?

Change yes they can hunt at night when it is warm enough. I have never been attacked by one during the day or night but have been around plenty of them. Just give them some space and they will leave you alone :)

Living out in brown country for most of my life, yep they are active at night. Only difference is you probably won't see them and they'll be long gone before your around.

Id rather come by a brown than a red belly anyday! Browns seem a lot more relaxed and willing to part ways, even when startled.

looks like a tree snake skin change.

I'm not sure about what i see here about the speed of some snakes. I have seen red-bellies almost flying. I know i can in no way move that fast, on my legs at least. I'm rather fast runner too. This on flat clear land, let alone bushes it just shoots through =)

I cant relate to the red-belly being aggressive either. Always seen moving away from me, often some distance away. They have good eyesight. If you move it will see you. I think they are pleasant snakes.

King brown is rather placid too. if left alone. eastern i have had slither between my feet too many times to mention. I've also almost stood on them without them caring too much =) Never any problems. Pythons cant seem to get close enough to me. they seem to be very curious about me.

wonderful, sometimes intimidating animals :wink:

I'd leave the snake there, and try to ID it better. Looks as though it's there to help you. though the reasons may not become clear unless you remove it. Who knows, the two of you might become good friends.

I'm no snake expert but it looks like a tree snake skin to me too.

That being said a few people have found brown snakes in my street over the last few months, so they'd be in your district too.

You know what they say, where's snakes there's rats or mice. Either that or someone nearby has chickens laying eggs.

Rats and mice seek high ground or dry places like houses and sheds before a change in the weather - when there's rain coming, and the snakes follow their scent.

Ill be happy if it turns out to be a tree snake, Ive never seen a tree snake in my area before so that would be cool.

I know for certain, brown snakes have been spotted in the area recently, since the winter flooding we had a few months back the frog population has exploded.

I guess its safe to assume, more frogs is going to mean more snakes, ill keep working on trying to get a better ID

id be happy to makes friends with the snake but i know ill get upset if it eats the frogs or the dove thats nesting in the cappi vine.

Why cant animals get along...... because they are animals

(sad but true)

(assuming its a brown)

i could kill it

or it could kill me or my beloved frog friends

The Lion King made the circle of life look so much more appealing, "Hakuna matata" is a Swahili phrase; translated, it roughly means "No worries".

No worries mate, its not the circle of life, its the circle of death, enjoy the ride while it lasts.

"

(sad but true)"

No, it isnt.

"Spade the fucker and make a belt."

Sick of this immature mentality.

Spider eats the fly.. .. its just the way it is, embrace it, not fight it.

If you are legit scared of venomous snakes bitting Your children or something get a foxxy.. ..

• Like 1

"

(sad but true)"

No, it isnt.

"Spade the fucker and make a belt."

Sick of this immature mentality.

Sorry, let me rephrase. Get that fucker before he gets you or your family, then make a belt.

• Like 1

what are you on about? I have been round browns hundreds of times. standing within 20cm or less of them.. without any issue. Perhaps they are only a problem for some types of people?

so err, no need to be such an adam :wink:

Hey Change, a closer shot of the head on that skin might help with an ID, at least to the elapid or not level. I'm not even sure if you can make that determination just from shed skins, but I've been told that head shape is one of the best features for an ID (doesn't look right for a brown snake to me, but I'm not sure). It's probably gonna eat some of your little animal friends whichever it is (assuming that it's still hanging around & didn't just pop in to change its clothes), but even a partial ID might help you decide whether you need to be concerned about your own skin.

Why were you guessing eastern brown snake? Have you seen this fella around? Or are you just going on the skin?

• Like 1

Anodyne I am pretty sure you can tell if it's a colubrid, elapid or python by counting the scales in a particular pattern on the shed skin. I can't remember exactly how to though

Hey, Good find Coolname. Thanks.

• Like 1

Why were you guessing eastern brown snake? Have you seen this fella around? Or are you just going on the skin?

My assumption is based on the color of the skin i found, and 2 weeks ago a brown snake was spotted 2 houses up from me, apparently there dog chased it inside there house.

i guess i cant be certain that my neighbors can correctly identify it though, as far as im aware they are not snake experts

i know that brown snakes are in my areas, which is close to farm lands and a creek, but i haven't seen one for over 5 years now.

If it was a red belly i wouldn't be concerned. but alot of people tell me about how aggressive the brown snake can be

I hope your right and it just popped in to change clothes, but i fear the worse

the skin was found next to a hole that lizards live in, so it would be the perfect spot for a snake to live, and i am the only one in the street without a dog

so there isn't much to scare it away, just plenty of tasty frogs and lizards which makes it a perfect home for a snake.

the lizard hole is next to where my cactus live, down a narrow pathway, so im concerned that it could feel threatened by my presence without me realizing it is there.

ghosty - Making friends with a brown snake feels like a tiger making friends with a rabbit, sooner or later its going to end badly. But if it turns out to be a tree snake ill be friendly :)

here are some better pictures

snake%201.png

snake%202.png

hmm, might be wrong about this one. I'm going for possible red-belly.