The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

More Byron Bay MDMA busts

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=225791

Olympic kayaker arrested on drugs charge

Wednesday Nov 21 23:26 AEDT

Former world champion and Olympic kayaker Nathan Baggaley has been charged with several drug offences after his arrest on the NSW far north coast.

Baggaley and his brother were taken into custody on Wednesday afternoon as part of an ongoing police investigation into the manufacture and supply of MDMA in the Byron Bay-Tweed Heads area, media reported.

But police have refused to confirm Baggaley and his brother were the two men arrested in the operation, a 31-year-old at a Byron Bay apartment block and a 25-year-old at an oyster lease at Brunswick Heads.

The 31-year-old Byron Bay man has been charged with manufacturing a commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, two counts of supplying a commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, possessing a tablet press, and supplying a prohibited drug.

The 25-year-old Suffolk Park man has been charged with seven counts of supplying a large commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, dealing with property suspected of being the proceeds of crime, possessing a tablet press, manufacturing a large commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, the ongoing supply of a prohibited drug, supplying a commercial quantity of a prohibited drug, and possessing a prohibited drug (deem supply).

Both have been refused bail to appear at Lismore Local Court on Thursday.

Police said the arrests followed raids on 10 residential and factory premises in the area.

A pill press, and quantities of cash, have been seized, they said.

The arrests are part of police efforts to dismantle a large criminal syndicate in which the two men are allegedly involved.

During the four month covert operation, 28,500 MDMA tablets have allegedly been seized, with a street value of $1.4 million.

Police said more than one kg of MDMA powder was also seized, which could potentially be made into tens of thousands of tablets worth about $1.1 million.

Police have also charged a third man and are questioning a fourth.

A 25-year-old man from Newrybar in NSW will appear at Byron Bay Local Court on December 7 charged with possessing prohibited drugs, possessing equipment for administering prohibited drugs and having goods in custody.

A 23-year-old man from Suffolk Park was arrested at his home and is being interviewed at Byron Bay Police Station.

The charges are the latest controversy to engulf Baggaley, who already faces drugs charges in Queensland, and has just seen out a two-year suspension for steroid use.

On his website earlier this month, Baggaley wrote in a blog entry that he had experienced his "fair share of ordeals" in the past two years.

"It was a difficult two years which left me with a lot of time on my hands and unfortunately led me to making some bad decisions and probably to (sic) much partying also," he wrote.

"I could go on with a lot more stories but I will finish up by stating that although there is a lot of speculation and rumour (sic) circulating about my troubles with the law, I am confident that they will be resolved in the very near future and that it will turn out favourably (sic) for me and more importantly, that I will be back racing at an elite level very soon."

Australian Canoeing last month rejected an application from Baggaley to be reinstated to the sport, despite the Olympic silver medallist completing a two-year ban for taking steroids in September.

In July, the three-time world champion was committed to stand trial in Brisbane Supreme Court on drug charges after police allegedly found 762 ecstasy tablets in a car he was driving on the Gold Coast in February.

©AAP 2007

During the four month covert operation, 28,500 MDMA tablets have allegedly been seized, with a street value of $1.4 million.

Police said more than one kg of MDMA powder was also seized, which could potentially be made into tens of thousands of tablets worth about $1.1 million.

I'm always curious about official stats reporting street value of seized drugs, they seem to make a bigger deal than it is. I mean this is a big deal but not $2.5 million big. I hope my maths is right. For the first proposed value of 1.4 million...

28,500 pills sold at an average price of lets say $35 - pretty fucking high average but nevermind. that is $997,000 ... this is at a pretty high price mind you, and it still doesnt match up to what they say.

Now for 1kg of MDMA... lets say 100mg is an average dose, I got NFI what you get in pills, but 100-150mg is meant to be a good dose.

so 1kg = 1000 grams = 1,000,000 mg

divide that by 100mg doses and we have 10,000 pills, at $35 that equates to $350,000

so where the fuck do they get figures like 1.4 and 1.1 million or 2.5million total for what combined equates to only 1.347 million... only 1.153 million off.

If my assumption of 100mg doses is way off then even at 50mg doses it only equates to $700,000, a bit short of 1.1 million..

We all know that the five-oh ridiculously exaggerate every bust they make. Cannibis is weighed stems, roots, soil, leaves and all. I'm just cut that theres a couple less kg's of sherbet for us to munch :ana:

one of the perks of being a copper is i get to file the evidence ill be stocking up and bringing it all to the next playtime you guys thought ega was good try having a crack at our christmas confiscated drugs bonfire with helicopter above to blow smoke along the ground

one of the perks of being a copper is i get to file the evidence ill be stocking up and bringing it all to the next playtime you guys thought ega was good try having a crack at our christmas confiscated drugs bonfire with helicopter above to blow smoke along the ground

I agree with you there Yowie but you must split the sherbet 50/50 with me first then share it all out :) sniff sniff

It's the ages old problem with making or selling illegal drugs isnt it... your life, lifestyle and livelihood rely on basically everyone knowing who you are, where you are, and what you do, without ONE SINGLE WRONG PERSON EVER FINDING OUT. Yeeeeerright. What a fanfuckintabulous idea that is. Least they picked somewhere known for its forgiving local coppers and complete lack of local competitors to make your life a touch more difficult...oh... wait...

The only people I know with the right kind of smarts to sell or create just about anything like that, properly,are also smart enough not to bother in the first place... does unfortunately mean ya left having to buy scabby bags of whatever from some loser that mentally counts your cds n dvds n triples the number for the hockshop price though, haha.

Yet another in the ever growing line of lackwitted sporty types that slowly realised as they aged that hey... this line of work has a really shitty retirement plan... better diversify. even better, I'll get right down n dirty with the noname druggies but make sure they all know who I AM... then expect em not to tell everyone they meet for the next two weeks "hey do you know some olympian cunt...whatsisname... nathan something?" or "hey you follow the footy, guess who I got on for the other night?!"

Ningnongs on all sides of that fence, from where I sit anyway. Still, the local prison population would be looking forward to some quality getting-to-know-u time with that tanned toned athletic behind of his.Bet he feels REALLY clever now :rolleyes:

Give me a small fair slice of pie every week and I'm happy enough, only boneheads want the whole bloody bakery.

VM

Sentencing was yesterday....

----------------------------------

Olympian Baggaley jailed for drug dealing

Former kayaker Nathan Baggaley's fall from grace is complete, with a New South Wales court jailing the Olympian for at least five years for dealing ecstasy.

Baggaley, a triple K1 500m world champion, won two silver medals at the Athens Olympics in 2004.

But the District Court in Lismore on Friday was told his life began unravelling after he was slapped with a two-year ban from his sport in 2005 for steroid use.

"It's been a hard comedown from being a world champion, a revered person in his home town, internationally and nationally, to someone who has been completely vilified," his lawyer John Weller told the court.

The 32-year-old was sentenced to a maximum of nine years in jail with a non-parole period of five years after pleading guilty in February to manufacturing ecstasy and supplying more than 1,500 tablets.

His brother Dru Baggaley, 27, appeared in the same court and was sentenced to a maximum of 12 years' jail for pleading guilty to the manufacture and supply of a large quantity of the drug.

The younger Baggaley will be eligible for parole after serving a minimum of eight years.

The brothers were arrested on the New South Wales north coast in November 2007 in a joint operation between Queensland and New South Wales police.

Police seized at least 13,500 pills, $62,520 of drug money and a quantity of powder capable of producing more than 160,000 tablets.

Mr Weller told the court in his final submission that his client never recovered from his sporting suspension.

"From becoming a world champion, becoming an award winner ... he'd done nothing else," Mr Weller said.

"Suddenly his world was gone and he didn't address the issues."

Mr Weller said Baggaley used alcohol and drugs as a crutch after being banned from the sport.

"He was pure because he had to be, but in his system, suddenly, he's drinking and suddenly, he's partaking in the use of ecstasy (because) it made him feel good," he said.

Mr Weller said Baggaley was a minor player in a cross-border drug operation, having "stepped into the shoes" of his brother Dru.

Nathan admitted to "helping out" with two drug deals while his younger brother was out of town.

He said Baggaley was unlikely to reoffend and had a very good chance of being rehabilitated.

With time already served, Baggaley will be eligible for parole on November 20, 2012.

Dru will be eligible on November 20, 2015.

-AAP

160, 000 tablets from just over 1 kg, in all seriousness the police PR dept is working overtime. Even they must wip out the calculator and do the math. Its laughable! a general rule of thumb is take police estimates and half it, then half it again and then again repeat till believable figure is obtained!

b

With time already served, Baggaley will be eligible for parole on November 20, 2012.

Well if a small minority of the world are correct Baggaley will be able to enjoy about a month of freedom before the world ends 21st December 2012 :lol:

160, 000 tablets from just over 1 kg, in all seriousness the police PR dept is working overtime. Even they must wip out the calculator and do the math. Its laughable! a general rule of thumb is take police estimates and half it, then half it again and then again repeat till believable figure is obtained!

b

yeah well they have to somehow justify the millions in taxpayer funds that are going to the fucking futile war on drugs instead of our failing health care system personally i wouldn't give a fuck if MDMA was everywhere but our hospital actually functioned properly but no the priority for the pecies of shit who run the country is entirely the opposite