The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Andrew Johns: I've always taken drugs

From HERE

I've always taken drugs - Johns

By BRAD WALTER - SMH | Friday, 31 August 2007

CONFESSIONS: Johns admitted to a history of illicit drug use to cope with the pressures of fame and depression on Channel Nine's The Footy Show.

In a confession after he was arrested in London for possessing an ecstasy tablet, Johns said he had regularly used illegal substances to help battle depression and "ran the gauntlet" with drugs testers.

Johns, 33, maintained that an unknown person had put an ecstasy tablet in his pocket during a drinking session at a notorious London club, The Church. "I 'll put my hand up, I was going to take it," he told The Footy Show.

The incident has raised doubts about his roles in the media and as a coaching consultant.

"For probably 10 years on and off I have taken it. It was usually during the off season but there were times during the season I have played Russian roulette with the drugs testers," said Johns, who admitted some officials and players at the Newcastle Knights knew of his drug taking. "I was about 19, 20, 21 when I first started taking it, and to be honest I sort of used it to escape all the pressure."

Johns, spent six hours in a jail cell after his arrest in London.

The Australian Rugby Union immediately ruled out any possibility of Johns working with the Wallabies at the World Cup in France. His position as a presenter at the Dally M awards next Tuesday is also in jeopardy.

News Limited, for which Johns works as a columnist, and Channel Nine want to discuss the incident with him. "We are awaiting the details and a chance to talk to him before forming a view as to what impact it has on his current arrangements with News Limited," a spokesman for the company said.

Nine was understood to have been looking to expand Johns's role as a commentator before the ecstasy tablet incident in London. But in a statement issued before his appearance on The Footy Show last night, it said: "Nine will consider the situation, and have discussions with Andrew and his management over the next few days."

Even the Newcastle Knights - who Johns led to two premierships and in 249 top-grade matches before he was forced to retire in April because of a second serious neck injury in three years - expressed their disappointment with him. The Knights said they wanted to speak to Johns about the incident.

Newcastle's chief executive, Steve Burraston, said: "Since retiring in April Andrew's agreement with the club isn't a playing contract; he does, however, work for the Knights and is on leave. Andrew is an important member of the club, and we will obviously discuss the matter with him as soon as is practical."

Johns, who had been touted as league's next "immortal" before his indiscretion, apologised for his actions and admitted he had been foolish.

However, the explanation by John Fordham, Johns's agent, about how Johns was issued with a caution by British Transport Police conducting a routine search at Underground railway stations after the Notting Hill Carnival, raised as many eyebrows as the arrest.

Fordham said Johns "recalled an unknown person pushing a tablet into his jeans at a crowded entertainment venue last Sunday", his last day in Britain after a six-week overseas holiday.

Johns added: "I was having such a good time, seeing it was the last day before I flew home. I stupidly forget about the tablet and instead of getting rid of it I left myself in a situation I soon deeply regretted."

"I have been a very foolish person and realise I have brought great disappointment to my family, friends and many people, including lots of youngsters who have looked up to me over the years. "

The NRL chief executive, David Gallop, said while Johns was no longer a player, he remained a role model.

"That is what is disappointing."

A very interesting story. I managed to see most of his 'confession' on The Footy Show last night - he claimed he had been using ecstasy since his late teens/early 20s even during the footy season (having a couple very close encounters with regular drug tests). Whilst a person in such a position of influence on kids, I believe he should have shown more responsibility, but then again, he never hurt anyone other than himself and now his family and friends (since the bust). His main excuse for his recreational drug use was that the pressures of being one of the NRLs finest players of all time took its toll, as well as a continual struggle with depression (of which he had been diagnosed some 5 years ago). High on the cards is now going around to schools and footy clubs to educate kids on the effects and dangers of recreational drug use.

What are your thoughts on the situation? Should people in such a position be more responsible for their actions, or are they just as entitled to a good time? I am actually a little suprised that this hasnt already been posted as it is one of the biggest headlines in the news at the moment.

LMAO!

he left out cocaine? Long story short Newcastle is a small place and you often run into people in town. LOL hes cheated on his wife too, or was it his brother.... but long story short ive run into them in town back in the day, they enjoy a party ;)

personally i think he should be able to be a normal person. this country worships sport players way too much, puts them on a pedistal and when they act like a normal human it makes the press. its a stupid situation. we treat football players as gods with full page spreads while doctors and scientists get a tiny blurb on page 45. the ability to toss/kick/catch a ball is more important to this culture than education or creativity.

sportplayers are not gods like this country treats them. and the sooner this culture learns that the less of an issue, what sports players do in their own time should not be front page news, even on a slow news day.

In short, if this cultre didnt idolise sportsplayers then we wouldnt have to worry about their acts influencing our children.

Sports stars using drugs...comeon?

admititng to drug use...now there is something else...wonder what made him choose to confess

during the interview on tv last night johns was asked why he would take drugs knowing the risks if he got caught. (interestingly not 'the risks of using this dangerous drug' :P) He replied something like "i drink 6 or 8 beers then i didnt care."

So beer is the gateway drug. Who would have guessed. :P

If they deem it as a performance enhancing drug, that would mean the ozzy footy team would be drug cheats. :lol:

That was another point - a lot of his life he has turned to alcohol (like 90+% of Aussie sports 'idols'). He mentioned that this was one of his biggest problems and recreational drugs never were put down as 'problematic' (other than the fact that THESE will ruin many people's idolistic view of him). I thought it was just pathetic that in fact it was clearly alcohol that has been one of the biggest problems in his life (going off his story last night), but the interviewer (his old coach) wouldnt dare bring that fact into the spotlight as The Footy Show is so heavily sponsered by companies such as Bundaburg Rum and Tooheys, etc.

Funny, it was almost like he was trying to show that side of it (the alcohol being the real dangerous part of his drug taking lifestyle), and that the ecstasy (and likely many other rec's, as Amulte mentioned) was purely a fun thing (albeit an escape from his otherwise 'tough' lifestyle). While it was a reasonably good interview, it would be good to see someone who shows a lot more of the real story (like Andrew Denton) interview Johns to see his real POV.

Like CT mentioned - the way he faced up to it and admitted the 'problem' was quite ballsy (and would have probably brought on a lot more negativity from his former fans [of which he is bound to have a few now...]), but he never mentioned the fact that he clearly enjoyed the partaking of rec's and his true view on the situation. But I guess when you are so glorified it is truly difficult to sit there and say that you enjoyed such a lifestyle - being one of the finest players in the game as well as quite an active social life. You have to feel sorry for his family (mainly his kiddy) because of all the crap they will cop because of the bust, but really, if it wasnt for the bust, he'd still be held in high esteem with none the wiser and still enjoying that 'dark' side of his life.

Agreed Amulte - the way sports are held so highly in the Aussie media (and most of Western civilisation for that matter) is quite ridiculous. Who really cares if another average bloke (when there are far more important people out there who have done exactly the same thing, but no, you dont hear about them, nor do you care...) gets busted for posession of a relatively harmless substance that makes them feel great? The backwardness of the media is just absurd, and likely always will be.

Sensationalism sells for sure, but why not sell legitimately important things? Certainly makes you wonder why anyone would want to be part of such a propaganda filled machine that really does brainwash society into a consumer driven and fear-crazed mess (I realise that this does sound sensationalised in itself, but is it really that far from the truth?)... :unsure:

Edited by Ace

I never cared either way for Johns...but I did catch part of the interview. I hold Johns in higher regard now, whether or not the NRL's spindoctors were the reason for the bare all or Johns himself it doesn't matter. I think it takes a huge strength of character to put everything on the table for all to see. He realised he had a responsibility to clarify the situation and not let it get out of hand with the day to day media.

My God! he actually took drugs for enjoyment and admitted this?...good on him!

Least you know where to score some E's in Newcastle now...hahhahahaha :bong:

AJ

dont think he lives in newcastle anymore

'CONFESSIONS: Johns admitted to a history of illicit drug use to cope with the pressures of fame and depression on Channel Nine's The Footy Show.

In a confession after he was arrested in London for possessing an ecstasy tablet, Johns said he had regularly used illegal substances to help battle depression and "ran the gauntlet" with drugs testers.'

---------------------------------------------------------

He has confessed so his punishment will light as far as

The politicals.

I don't hear much about Euoertrash.

i got pissed off that the guy didn't have the balls to say

"Yeah i've been taking E's for the last decade & i don't see it as a problem",

rather than copping out w/the

"I took them because i was depressed" line. :angry:

It's not as if he's a current player w/a prime position to lose....IMHO he came across as a gutless worm, squirming about trying to save face :BANGHEAD2:

i got pissed off that the guy didn't have the balls to say

"Yeah i've been taking E's for the last decade & i don't see it as a problem",

rather than copping out w/the

"I took them because i was depressed" line. :angry:

It's not as if he's a current player w/a prime position to lose....IMHO he came across as a gutless worm, squirming about trying to save face :BANGHEAD2:

This is what I was going to say... he is being a weak cunt and leaning towards the 'drugs are bad, let my fuckups be a lesson to you kids' copout instead of just taking it on the chin and saying 'yeah, I take drugs... fuck you' Then again, he is a football coach or something, so what would you expect?

Edited by IllegalBrain

This is what I was going to say... he is being a weak cunt and leaning towards the 'drugs are bad, let my fuckups be a lesson to you kids' copout instead of just taking it on the chin and saying 'yeah, I take drugs... fuck you' Then again, he is a football coach or something, so what would you expect?

What else could he say? He is in a situation where there is only one right thing to say. He could have taken the 'yeah, I take drugs... fuck you' line but I think it’s a question between protecting himself and his family or standing up for 'the drugs'. What kind of person puts drugs before their family?

Later on this afternoon I'm actually going to a football game with 2 of the local Constabulary. I look forward to hearing what they have to say! ;)