The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Grafting Comp- Oct 2007

wow sorry guys :D hahaha well I reckon shruman is the winner though the others are wickid too :D so all the guys who posted there pics (Shruman, diiv, bob-bob and rahli, gilligan any others I missed let me know) send me an email with your addy and Ill send you some prizes :)

Watertrade hows those trophies going?

wow sorry guys :D hahaha well I reckon shruman is the winner though the others are wickid too :D so all the guys who posted there pics (Shruman, diiv, bob-bob and rahli, gilligan any others I missed let me know) send me an email with your addy and Ill send you some prizes :)

Watertrade hows those trophies going?

well, the trophies are finished. we just need the bases now - I will email the generous member making the bases. you know who you are base man. !

I know it's too late to post my comp photo but just thought I'd put it uppost-1315-1224857615_thumb.jpg since this photo was taken it's flowered 6 times and I've had 2 fruits and grown close to 2 cms (more likely 1.5 cm at the most but if you want a more recent pic I can post it). 6 seeds in the first cause I crossed it with my caespitosa and only 2 seeds in the 2nd cause I assume it was self fertilised (uni made me significantly less attentive!!!)

Anyway, when is the next competition? I'd say I've endured quite a learning curve since this last competition so I'm looking forward to the next!

If you see Ed's free seed give away, the diffusa grafts I did have all been done well and truely after this comp ended and it's my best success yet (2/3 as opposed to 1/65).

I say we start either mid november or 1st december for the next comp. with as much help to any grafting noobies as possible! That being free seeds/grafting stock or technique support where needed.

What I also think would be most appropriate is Loph. (where still legal) and ariocarpus for all other states...

So essentially a simultaneous competition for the different states in AUS and everywhere else loph is now stupidly illegal.

post-1315-1224857615_thumb.jpg

post-1315-1224857615_thumb.jpg

The Trophy for the last comp is ready - I just need a base. I think the base guy is a bit busy so i will look into getting some others made.

ok - finally finished. this one is going to the EGA raffle so - comp winner might need to wait another 12 months :P

the bases are a little dodgy as I did it myself... but it does stay upright. will try and get another finished. :)

post-903-1227614354_thumb.jpg

post-903-1227614367_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the seeds teo, got them today - you rock :)

Thanks to Teo for the seeds, muchly appreciated! :)

Thanks to Auxin WOW that medalion is spectacular, craftsmanship knocked my socks off, Cheers mate :)

Bloody nice looking trophies watertrade, work of art, let us know when its ready & I'll pay for postage. Lot of hardwork there.

:):):wub::wub:B)B)

This competition seems very interesting. Would be keen for any help. ie methods of graft, suggested diameter of graft host species, etc etc would be greatly appreciated

Oh yeah and mad jealousy regarding the trophies. Pretty

re you silently suggesting another comp or is my mind simply fixed upon all these reptyles?

Wow Watertrade thats some nice work on the trophies!!! Excellent effort!

Hi everyone,

I wanted to be a part of the comp but I’m still waiting on the seeds to arrive… anyway, that’s another story.

But instead I thought I could make a trophy for the comp. the following pics are from the test pieces. The real ones will be made over the next few months before the comp finishes.

1: I contacted Teo who got a grafted plant in mail ASAP.

The following lovely plant arrived - I could have just abandoned the idea of a trophy at this stage and kept the plant but he chucked in a 2nd plant for me to keep so I continued. :wink:

post-903-1193741065_thumb.jpg

2: the Loph is painted in a two part silicone rubber to create the following rubber mold. – The loph was cut out of the rubber leaving it in a pretty bad way. (I think it will survive) a mold was made of the peres stock.

post-903-1193741127_thumb.jpg

3: ‘Victory brown’ wax is poured into the silicone mold to make a wax

post-903-1193741189_thumb.jpg

4: the wax is worked by hand and details are hidden, made, changed... or whatever.

5: The wax is invested in a series of plaster molds

6: the Wax is burnt out of the plaster in a kiln at 600 degrees C for 72 hours.

post-903-1193741232_thumb.jpg

7: a furnace is setup to heat/melt bronze to approximately 1200 degrees C

post-903-1193741275_thumb.jpg

post-903-1193741301_thumb.jpg

8: the crucible is carefully carried into place

post-903-1193741327_thumb.jpg

9: the molten bronze if poured into the plaster mold!

post-903-1193741357_thumb.jpg

This is where I left it today- tomorrow I will chip away the plaster and have some bronze cast Lophs and a peres stock.

When I see how these turn out I will remake a series of waxes and do the final ones for the trophy and some smaller 2nd and 3rd prize.

the final trophy will be a limited edition/ and editioned bronze cast with a black/brown patena burnished and 'grafted' onto a Peres stock on a wooden base with your name engraved on a plate. :lol: Someone has also offered to make the base so thanks to them :)

and thanks to Teo for the original plant donation on which the bronze is cast. there will be 2nd and 3rd places but we are still working on these. :)

cheers

WT

that was a great read mun.

:wub:

wow 2007! there is rumour of another ( different ) cast for EGA 2011. ;)