The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Monk

New Avatar

Curious about how some of the site features work. Anyway, watcha think? Too obvious? Good times.

This might sound stupid (lol, I have a tendancy to sound that way :P), but I cant make out what the pic is of - do you mind giving a bit of detail on its origins/meanings?

Looks like the old blue flame trick.......lol

Strange, now all I see is my former avatar....hmmm. But yes, cisumevil, it is me doing the gas-in-hand-flame-trick one night while particularly far out. It was the biggest, longest lasting one ever and the glass table reflected it to make the pic come out quite interesting. But at that size, it doesn't look that great.

Um, in 'My Controls,' I see my new avatar. But in all the threads, it's the old one. :scratchhead:

EDIT: Including in this post, which came after a second attempt to update.

Edited by FeloniousMonk

i don't like it when people change there avatar. we associate a certain personalety with the avatar and if you change it this connection gets lost, or at least greatly reduced. worse happens if one changes the member name, than my connection with this individual gets even disconnected more. in other words, similar like only my subconsious personalety knows wher the right letters are located on the keyboard, i "know" of most members after a while a thing or two, which basicly constitutes of familiarity, feelings of trust and friendship, and individual personell knowledge, all this helps me/us to reply in a fashion which suits the individual, but get's a bit lost for a while, if you change your avatar or membername.

i liked your old avatar far better as i could asociate the mead master you are with it, the little face was a monk for me who got stuck into his homebrew.

Edited by planthelper

Wow, I guess I never thought of it that way. So I guess it would be better to keep the flowering monk head. I guess that works out because it appears to still be there. Can you see the new one planthelper? I guess if T or any mods read this and can rectify the issue, I'd like to keep the old avatar.

p.s. Hahaha, yes I'm very much a monk stuck in his brewery (though I'm not celibate and scarcely solemn)! I'm getting deeper and deeper into the extra layer of alchemy it provides. Thanks for the thoughtful response, ph.

i actually cant remember how to change the little "member" status under av, i always find it, but i search for ages, where is it?

Xipe, 'My Controls' then 'Edit Profile Info.'

Weird, now I'm home from work and I see the new avatar....am I loosing it or what?

proxy servers and caches.....

I found my old one! It's back and better than ever :lol:

i don't like it when people change there avatar. we associate a certain personalety with the avatar and if you change it this connection gets lost, or at least greatly reduced. worse happens if one changes the member name, than my connection with this individual gets even disconnected more. in other words, similar like only my subconsious personalety knows wher the right letters are located on the keyboard, i "know" of most members after a while a thing or two, which basicly constitutes of familiarity, feelings of trust and friendship, and individual personell knowledge, all this helps me/us to reply in a fashion which suits the individual, but get's a bit lost for a while, if you change your avatar or membername.

i liked your old avatar far better as i could asociate the mead master you are with it, the little face was a monk for me who got stuck into his homebrew.

Yeah, I have changed my avatar about as often as my undies lately... so once a months or so!

I have heard people say this before, and thought it is probably a good thing if people forget their past associations with me!

It's funny, when Felonious first posted this thread, his name was familiar but I didn't fully remember who he was until I saw his old avatar back... guess I will stick with this avatar for a while, at least until I piss a whole bunch of people off again.

Well, IllegalBrain, you better go ahead and change it 'cuz you just pissed me off by hijacking my thread. :wave-finger:

Just kidding, IB, I don't take myself or anything that seriously :lol: I thought you might enjoy some sarcasm, though - considering your personality :wink:

Anyway, you had a good point about my avatar looking even cooler when enlarged. If you notice there are some ethnobotanicals growing out of this 'monks' head including Ipomea sp. and what looks like a Nuphar sp. If anyone else recognizes some of the other plants, please post the info. Here's the bigger image:

flowerhd.jpg

Here:Visions of Rural China

The artist is unknown, as you'll see, and the only name it has is 'Flowerhead,' but I imagine it to be a taoist monk that is particularly gifted with and wrapped up in his plants. Either that, a rural shaman/medicine man of sorts, or perhaps Shen Nung himself. Who knows, but I liked it a lot and I'm glad planthelper inspired me to find it and put it back.

yeh it highly appropriate, as well as being a great image, I was sad to see it go, glad its back :)