The Corroboree
Francois le Danque

zornia actives

hey y'all, i was just "boning up" on zornia before possibly ordering some from herbalistics, (along with some last minute kava...) and i decided to find out what the active constituents are. seems noone knows! i tried searching on here, google, and in the (noticeably outdated) psychoactive plants encyclopedia (which only briefly mentions the use of zornia as a cannabis substitute).

so does anyone know?

from the pictures it looks to be related to broom... i remember thinking that gorse looked like broom, and upon looking it up found them to be related, with both containing cytisine (known as ulexine in gorse). zornia having cytisine or other nicotine agonists would pretty much be a waste of time... interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

Hi frank, Zornia spp. are related to gorse & broom as they are all in the FABACEAE [pea flowers] family, as to the alkaloid profile I am unsure, just wanted to confirm they are all related. Sorry I could not have been more helpful, but it is a starting point to your research. If you find out anything interesting be sure to post it here.

yes i knew i forgot something...i was going to check what family it was in under the taxonomy section (right under my nose... :rolleyes: ) so i guess .... yeah. damn i bought some after all. oh well. lol.

I've heard it's not a bad smoke. Am sure there were some reports around here a while ago about it.

Here is a few of the threads I remember reading:

Zornia, report

Zornia diphylla, Maconha Brava

I guess apoth's words of wisdom were wise indeed [uTSE], or abbreviation as the case be :lol: I knew that thing was there for something :rolleyes:

Let us know how you go.

This stuff has to be the biggest gimick out there. There arent any reputable studies on its active constituents because I seriously doubt it has any. When smoked it tastes very similar to weed and I think this is perhaps why it is smoked - there arent any other reasons I can fathom.

Have you ever tried an extract? I havnt tried the raw form or extract, but Iv been interested in it for a while. Its a weed here and literally blankets the roadsides around my area at times (at least im pretty sure its zornia).

A great part of zornia's popularity is because when the cannabinoid agonist product 'spice' first hit the market everyone went through the fake ingredients list and zornia was the only one that had enough of a reputation to potentially be the 'all natural all herbal' active ingredient. I am no saying it is not active, because obviously it is a popular smoke in mexico, but so is damiana.

It smokes a lot like weed - taste and flavour seem quite similar.

Aren't taste and flavour the same things? What do you mean?

LOl ah yeah, normally. I meant the taste of the smoke and the flavour of it in your mouth (maybe aftertaste?)

Snu's "Garden of Eden" page 353-

"Zornia diphylla aerial parts have yielded 2H-1-benzopyran-2-one (International... 1994) and saponins (Allen & Allen 1981). The chemical compositions of Z. latifolia and Z. gibbosa are still unknown.

I hope that helps.

Im starting to change my tune on this a little. The aftertaste is identical to weed when you swallow after a toke. The smoke looks and exhales the same as real weed. And I swear tonight my muscles were not this relaxed before I burned two of Zornia. If I d pulled these out in public im quite sure people would assume it was actual weed although the smell was obviously quite different.

I think this would be ideal for someone quitting weed - phasing this in and phasing out the smoke. If it does have activity and im starting to think it might, its pretty mild and more your sedating relaxant vibe.