The Corroboree
Legba

Three million days 'lost to alcohol'

Three million days 'lost to alcohol'

Three million working days a year are lost through alcohol and drugs, the Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia says.

The council says alcohol and drug related issues cost Australian business more than $500 million a year.

"Research has shown that absenteeism resulting from hangovers or alcohol and drug related injuries cost Australian businesses more than $500 million every year," the council's chief executive officer Donna Bull said.

"Although many people are concerned about illicit drug use in the workplace, alcohol is actually the bigger issue.

"A third of the Australian workforce regularly drinks at risky levels and one in every 16 works under the influence of alcohol."

Ms Bull said the statistics, from the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare's 2006 alcohol and work report, revealed the extent of the problem.

"We know that alcohol and drug use poses considerable risks, including loss of productivity and occupational health and safety issues," she said.

"It goes without saying that more needs to be done to address the problem."

Source

I'm sorry, how do they work this one out?

I mean, who rings up work and says " Sorry guys, can't come in today I have a killer hangover"?

:BANGHEAD2:

And how many precious days are ¨lost to work¨ where people could actually be out enjoying their lives rather than chained to a desk earning tax dollars?

three million days? thats a bloody let down, you workin types out there... I want to see that at 6 million by this time next financial year! hop to it...

Work is a Sin against Us Almighty.

VM

I guess they work it out thus ..... 6 million employed > half drink > of these a survey indicated that each loses on average one day per year = 3 million days.

37% of all statistics are invented without basis in reality. :scratchhead:

37% of all statistics are invented without basis in reality. :scratchhead:

People are 62% more likely to believe you if you use statistics.

Well, I'm not one of those statistics.... I just go to work while I'm still drunk.... I don't value my job.

All soon to change, new job, new exciting challenges

-bumpy

sure you are bumpy, they have you covered:

one in every 16 works under the influence of alcohol

They probably count that as a 'lost' day because you couldnt possibly perform your job drunk, unlike our politicians of course, who are only running the country - Id like to see the cost calculations of some of the fucked up calls made by them :P

good to see people saying "alcohol and OTHER drugs" where most people idiotically fail to think of alcohol AS a drug... you know it's just a chemical that alters consciousness.... must be something different. after all, aren't drugs bad???