The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Cannabis 'disrupts brain centre'

You guys know I don't normally do this, so please forgive me, but I have edited the below article to only display the actual study results, if you want the propaganda, you know where to clicky.

=======================================================================

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6606931.stm

A King's College London team gave healthy volunteers the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

They then recorded reduced activity in an area of the brain which keeps inappropriate thoughts at bay.

A separate study has shown that one of these ingredients - cannabidiol (CBD) - has the potential to dampen down psychotic symptoms, and could form the basis of new treatments.

The research will be discussed at a conference on the impact of cannabis use to be held at the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College this week.

The Institute of Psychiatry study gave THC, CBD or placebo capsules to adult male volunteers who had not abused cannabis.

They then carried out brain scans, and a battery of tests, and found that those who took THC showed reduced activity in an area of the brain called the inferior frontal cortex, which keeps inappropriate thoughts and behaviour, such as swearing and paranoia in check.

The effects were short-lived, but some people appeared more vulnerable than others.

In a second study, a team from Yale University administered THC intravenously.

Even at relatively low doses, they found 50% of healthy volunteers began to show symptoms of psychosis.

Volunteers who already had a history of psychotic symptoms appeared to be particularly vulnerable.

A third study, by the University of Cologne, compared the effect of CBD and a commonly used anti-psychotic medicine, Amisulpride, on 42 patients with a history of schizophrenia.

After four weeks both groups showed a reduction in psychotic symptoms, but the CBD group were less prone to side effects, such as muscle stiffness and weight gain.

The researchers warned that THC and CBD compete with each other biochemically, so a rise in THC levels would blunt any positive impact of CBD.

Professor Robin Murray, a consultant psychiatrist at the Institute of Psychiatry, said the research provided the strongest evidence that cannabis had a significant impact on the brain.

He said proving a long-term effect was extremely difficult, as it was not ethical or feasible to stimulate long-term psychosis in volunteers.

However, he said: "If something has an active effect in inducing the symptoms of psychosis after one dose, then it would not be at all surprising if repeated use induced the chronic condition."

The researchers warned that THC and CBD compete with each other biochemically, so a rise in THC levels would blunt any positive impact of CBD.

So much for the positive [anti psychotic] effect many stoners hailed from that study :P

Maybe we need to bree THC free strains.

That article was posted by me & Tort a while ago here:http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14545

& here:http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14546

The conclusion from my thread was that if u were schitzophrenic or prone to mental illness then the best smoke would b: Indica grown Indoors preferably under natural light or supplemented U.V light than turned to hashish.

But yeah a THC free strain would b excellent medication.

Edited by shruman

They then carried out brain scans, and a battery of tests, and found that those who took THC showed reduced activity in an area of the brain called the inferior frontal cortex, which keeps inappropriate thoughts and behaviour, such as swearing and paranoia in check.
So they proved that it is a mind expanding entheogen that might let people see new concepts by weakening the brains censorship board? Pretty spiffy. The rastas can use that in their legal battle, it supports their use of it in bible study :wink:

The conclusion from my thread was that if u were schitzophrenic or prone to mental illness then the best smoke would b: Indica grown Indoors preferably under natural light or supplemented U.V light than turned to hashish.

The way you put it makes it sound like a prescription :)

Do you mean the best smoke if you are stubborn or deluded enough to keep smoking pot in spite of your schizophrenia?

Pretty interesting about the CBD.

So they proved that it is a mind expanding entheogen that might let people see new concepts by weakening the brains censorship board?

SCHIZOPHRENIA: A Nonexistant Disease

The article basically says Schizophrenia is liberation from groupthink/narrow-mindedness with a lack of mastery over the infinite thoughts/possibilities you are now aware of.

IMO Schizophrenia is a reopening of the right-brain to the source of all creativity. I say reopening because IMO it gets closed off around the time you need to start acting like a grown up.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up"....Picasso

"In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play"....Nietzsche

Do ya want the red pill or the blue pill?

SCHIZOPHRENIA: A Nonexistant Disease[/url]

The article basically says Schizophrenia is liberation from groupthink/narrow-mindedness with a lack of mastery over the infinite thoughts/possibilities you are now aware of.

IMO Schizophrenia is a reopening of the right-brain to the source of all creativity. I say reopening because IMO it gets closed off around the time you need to start acting like a grown up.

This is not only idiotic, its also very disparaging to people suffering with schizophrenia and their families and friends.

Guest Glenn

Edited by Torsten

Paint me a painting of your visions of hell and I'd buy it.

Channel hell into recorded icaro's and I'd buy them.

Write about hell in a book and I'd buy it.

Ask me how I tell the difference between "hell" and consensual reality and I'd try to explain/help you differentiate.

"Do you mean the best smoke if you are stubborn or deluded enough to keep smoking pot in spite of your schizophrenia? "

Yes, not only that but if the THC content is low enough/ CBD content high enough (which using the stated method it hopefully should B ) it would b a powerful tool to combat symptoms of mental illness without the harsh side effects of standard anti-psych drugs, I should point out smoking would not b the only effective manner to medicate one could ingest, vaporize (probly has an added advantage as different cannabinoids vaporize at diff temps) or suppository.

Edited by shruman

This is not only idiotic, its also very disparaging to people suffering with schizophrenia and their families and friends.

Totally agree.

Paint me a painting of your visions of hell and I'd buy it.

While i'm aware that there are some "issues" between Shiva & IB, i think the point that IB makes worthy ov a much less flippant reply.

Many people w/schizophrenia do indeed put themselves & their families through hell, & spending hours having emotionally charged conversations w/a gas heater, interpreting the flickering ov the flames as different responses has crap all to do w/

a reopening of the right-brain to the source of all creativity.