The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

legality of cannabis pollen?

Guest reville

Whats the status on this? Im assuming its illegal to have or trade in but if its not then perhaps the seedring could exchange it?

Im keen to exchange brugmansia pollen this way if Uncle ben's pollen tek works.

Can anyone suggest other species where a pollen exchange would be useful?

I guess it depends on whether the pollen has THC attached to it or not.

In some states where small quantities are decriminalised it would be funny to get done for 0.0005g of cannabis.

not much point trying to disperse cannabis pollen throughout the land, it's not active for very long - according to my research.

Guest reville

How long is not long?

3, 6, 9, 12months?

well i posted one reply to this but it seems to have vanished. now i'll try again and see what happens. the pollen should lose its viability after approx thirty days.

I have kept pollen from 7 different strains and it was still viable after 3 months mixed with a little wheatflour and kept in black film cannisters in the fridge ..just dont put too much in them and make sure there is no moisture in there either. smile.gif

Guest reville

Thanks MOJORISIN and waterdragon. I think this is getting somewhere.

So waterdragon - how did your friend store his pollen? similar to MOJO?

3- 6 months would be ample for exchange and distribution.

it would be funny to get done for 0.0005g of cannabis.

It would be. How much of a fine do you reckon you'd get?

But then again you wouldn't want pollen unless you had other plants to fertilize.

i have never attempted the long term storage of pollen. according to my research it would only be of use if one wanted to cross a very early male with a late female ie the need to put indica pollen over a sativa female - three months from pollen to pistil would mean that one would have to be growing almost pure indicas(in which case they should remain pure) and almost pure sativas, there probably aren't many places in the country that are suitable for both types.

the trade in pollen would be viable if indeed pollen could remain active for up to three months. mojos method of storage is fairly in line with robert connell clarkes recommendations in marijuana botany. okay so the research is a work in progress...mel frank and ed rosenthal favour pollen at three weeks old and make mention of a study indicating different sex ratios in the offspring according to the age of the pollen.

BUT, HERE'S THE GOOD BIT.... mel frank in his later work suggests that if pollen is properly frozen it could maintain it's viabilty for years. by properly frozen he states that the pollen should be dry, free of plant matter and oxygen if possible.

I wouldnt take much of Mels or Ed Rosenthals advice no offence they just arent all there... wink.gif

Hope it all goes good rev.Keep it up smile.gif

mojo

Guest reville

maybe maybe not

The technical field is progressing well...

but legality?

can anyone give me sound legal advice?

Of course if i ws to go into it then id need to source pollen and as i dont grow...

However i think itd be nice if it were legal if i could at least help source pollen for those in desperate need of it.

ever had a choice plant and not a male in sight? i have and it pissed me off cos even a hybrid wuld have been better than losing the whole thing

When i was 16 in SA i had a plant which i believe was of the Hindu Kush type and it died without ever producing seed.

I cant be sure of prices but I will ask around for growers to save a little pollen in case we have an emergency like that..

Im definitel wanting to do the cactus and brug pollen thing though....

but not before exams.

Guest reville
Originally posted by lambo:

As for 'reville' losing his 'Hindu Kush' due to lack of a male plant, this is rediculous, since all Cannabis plants are botanically classified as  'hermaphrodites', meaning the can produce both flower types.

hey hey go easy.My name is Reville and i thought that as a species cannabis was classed as dioecious but within that species there were some instances of hermaphrodite plants.

lets say for argument there are three sex types

M F H and that the frequncy of the H is varaible amongst different races - does anyone know how sex is determined in cannabis on the chromosomal level?

Kind of like in Pawpaw (Carica papaya) where the plant is Dioecious but you do get bisexual plants that will self pollinate.

I dont have a copy of MJ Botany so someone wil ahve to step in and clear this up.

If it is possible to make females turn male then whats the hormone cos itd be hand in inbreeding experiments with dioecious plants.

Hi Rev.

I think one of the hormones you can use is giberellic acid,I have acopy of m.j.botany,I,ll have to dig it out.

Originally posted by reville:

If it is possible to make females turn male then whats the hormone cos itd be hand in inbreeding experiments with dioecious plants.

In Mj Botany it says gibberellic acid encourages stamens and indoleacetic acid, ethrel and kinetin promotes pistils.

Later

I used to use Gibberrellic Acid on my females to promote male flowers on them to get female seed stock.(When I used to grow)

Females have the xx chromosome and the male has the xy chromosome.If you cross xx+xy you get a mix of male and female and if you cross xx(female) with xx(male flower on female plant) the only possible out come will be female seeds.

I have a bottle of it still if any one is interestad in swapping for something of intrest? smile.gif

Guest reville

Thanks lambo and veronica

that was a nice refresher course

my question is the one that was defferred..

veronica you say about X Y. that is true for mammals as we are diploid and sex determonation is usually via the Y chromosome

(female by default - you only ever use 1 x chromosome - in females one is 'turned off' by condensing into a barr body

However i believe in bird the reverse is true

they are male by default and need to be turned female

and in grasshoppers the sex determining factor is the presence or absence of the chromosome ie XX and XO

Animals due to their strict need for develomental perfection and moving parts are sensitive to gene dosing. thats why polyploids (multiple coppies of the genome beyond diploid) are always lethal and most aneuploids (abberrant numbers of one or a few chromosomes are almost always lethal and usually affect growth severly)

my point is...

what is the chromosome number of C sativa and whats its ploidy status

What is the genetic sex determination factor or the chromosome it resides on in cannabis

I do not have acopy of MJ botany but its thick enough that it should be in there

much appreciated

rev

I remember reading a journal article that stated that Cannabis sexuality is determined not by one or two chromosome pairs, but by several. And this is why there is a gradual scale from pure female via hermaphrodite to pure male, with the 'pure' sexes being theoretical. ie, virtually every femle has some genetic tendency for male sexual organs and vice versa.

Also lambo, reville is a scientist and studies at uni. No need to be patronising.

lambo also wrote:

As for legality, law enforcements are only interested in THC, not pollen. I would challenge anyone to produce a document accounting someone who has been arrested for 'pollen posession', it does not exist.

There have been plenty of cases of people getting busted for Cannabis seed, not on th basis of the THC content (ie it was never measured), but on the basis that it is a part of a prohibited plant. A Tasmanian hemp grower even lost his seed import of low THC hemp varieties on this basis. This particular seed would have probably given the same THC readings as the Cannabis pollen discussed here, and still the matter was prosecuted. Admittedly australia is a lot stricter than the USA in such matters.

Sorry Reville I am not 100% shore my self I have a book on it some where that said xx and xy,but thay may have been using layman's terms?I have to dig it out(if I still have it).But the Gibberrellic Acid works fine for female to male and I still have loads of seeds from those days and I have never growen a male from those seeds yet.So it must have something in it?I also heard that growing conditions can have an effect on weather the plant will be male or female? smile.gif

Guest reville

re polyploidy in humans

its invariably lethal.It involves cahnges to the number of sets of chromosomes. aneuploidy involves cahnges to th number of single chromosomes

as are most genetic mutations in humans involving changes to the chromosomes and those that survive may do so briefly or with major problems. sex chromosomes are an exception as we automatically inactivate all but one X anyway and the y chromosome is gene poor.

Downs syndrome is a case of aneuploidy.

Personally id like to make a hybrid between carica papaya and carica petagona or one of the other mountain pawpaws.I thinking of trying colchinine to increase the chromosome number so the pollen/ovules will be interfertile.

any thoughts?

Colchicine is mega toxic matey, at least according to the advice I've had from ppl in the TC field ( well, lets face it, anything that fucks with chromosones isn't likely to be too friendly and if yr planning on having any kids in the future )... There are newer, less toxic substitutes which are apparrantly equally effective around, email me and I'll hunt thru my files for their names and maybe a protocol or two if I can dig them up.

Never tried them myself, would like to one day. And lets face it if yer mucking about with pawpaw you won't exactly be short of genetic material to play with and make a mess of the first few runs as happens with most new methods ( well, for me...)

Normally you know I'd reply right away, but as the ISP's been down the weekend and I've just got back online to a zillion emails I can tell right now I'm likely to forget smile.gif

Originally posted by reville:

[Personally id like to make a hybrid between carica papaya and carica petagona or one of the other mountain pawpaws.I thinking of trying colchinine to increase the chromosome number so the pollen/ovules will be interfertile.

any thoughts?[/b]

I think Carica pentagona is already a hybrid.

Be good to get hold of some of the mountain caricas as they might handle the cold better as well.

Also have some info on a substance that from memory is safer to use and more reliable than colchinine but will have to find it.

Later

[This message has been edited by garret (edited 17 December 2001).]