The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

New process generates hydrogen from aluminum alloy to run engines, fuel cells

A Purdue University engineer has developed a method that uses an aluminum alloy to extract hydrogen from water for running fuel cells or internal combustion engines, and the technique could be used to replace gasoline.

The method makes it unnecessary to store or transport hydrogen - two major challenges in creating a hydrogen economy, said Jerry Woodall, a distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering at Purdue who invented the process.

"The hydrogen is generated on demand, so you only produce as much as you need when you need it," said Woodall, who presented research findings detailing how the system works during a recent energy symposium at Purdue.

The technology could be used to drive small internal combustion engines in various applications, including portable emergency generators, lawn mowers and chain saws. The process could, in theory, also be used to replace gasoline for cars and trucks, he said.

full article:

http://www.physorg.com/news98556080.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70518163146.htm

he gallium is critical to the process because it hinders the formation of a skin normally created on aluminum's surface after oxidation. This skin usually prevents oxygen from reacting with aluminum, acting as a barrier. Preventing the skin's formation allows the reaction to continue until all of the aluminum is used.

The Purdue Research Foundation holds title to the primary patent, which has been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is pending. An Indiana startup company, AlGalCo LLC., has received a license for the exclusive right to commercialize the process.

The research has been supported by the Energy Center at Purdue's Discovery Park, the university's hub for interdisciplinary research.

"This is exactly the kind of project that suits Discovery Park. It's exciting science that has great potential to be commercialized," said Jay Gore, associate dean of engineering for research, the Energy Center's interim director and the Vincent P. Reilly Professor of Mechanical Engineering.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-156.shtml

Diagnostic medical applications include direct injection of gallium during radiological procedures, dosing with chromium in parenteral nutrition mixtures, and the use of lead as a radiation shield around x-ray equipment

-----------------------------------------------

here are 35 metals that concern us because of occupational or residential exposure; 23 of these are the heavy elements or "heavy metals": antimony, arsenic, bismuth, cadmium, cerium, chromium, cobalt, copper, gallium, gold, iron, lead, manganese, mercury, nickel, platinum, silver, tellurium, thallium, tin, uranium, vanadium, and zinc (Glanze 1996). Interestingly, small amounts of these elements are common in our environment and diet and are actually necessary for good health, but large amounts of any of them may cause acute or chronic toxicity (poisoning). Heavy metal toxicity can result in damaged or reduced mental and central nervous function, lower energy levels, and damage to blood composition, lungs, kidneys, liver, and other vital organs. Long-term exposure may result in slowly progressing physical, muscular, and neurological degenerative processes that mimic Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, muscular dystrophy, and multiple sclerosis. Allergies are not uncommon and repeated long-term contact with some metals or their compounds may even cause cancer (International Occupational Safety and Health Information Centre 1999).

For some heavy metals, toxic levels can be just above the background concentrations naturally found in nature. Therefore, it is important for us to inform ourselves about the heavy metals and to take protective measures against excessive exposure. In most parts of the United States, heavy metal toxicity is an uncommon medical condition; however, it is a clinically significant condition when it does occur. If unrecognized or inappropriately treated, toxicity can result in significant illness and reduced quality of life (Ferner 2001). For persons who suspect that they or someone in their household might have heavy metal toxicity, testing is essential. Appropriate conventional and natural medical procedures may need to be pursued (Dupler 2001).

The association of symptoms indicative of acute toxicity is not difficult to recognize because the symptoms are usually severe, rapid in onset, and associated with a known exposure or ingestion (Ferner 2001): cramping, nausea, and vomiting; pain; sweating; headaches; difficulty breathing; impaired cognitive, motor, and language skills; mania; and convulsions. The symptoms of toxicity resulting from chronic exposure (impaired cognitive, motor, and language skills; learning difficulties; nervousness and emotional instability; and insomnia, nausea, lethargy, and feeling ill) are also easily recognized; however, they are much more difficult to associate with their cause. Symptoms of chronic exposure are very similar to symptoms of other health conditions and often develop slowly over months or even years. Sometimes the symptoms of chronic exposure actually abate from time to time, leading the person to postpone seeking treatment, thinking the symptoms are related to something else.

Metal products aren't sustainable either.

the gallium works just like mercury which has been used for a long time in chem to produce hydrogen from aluminium. But gallium is non toxic.

metal production itself may not be sustainable, but metal as a hydrogen vessel certainly is. Hydrogen gas is hugely unpopular [mostly out of ignorance as it is really no worse than petrol], so any hydrogen solution will require hydrogen to be held in a solid state. Using metal seems the obvious way. It is already widely used in metal hydride batteries in your mobile phones etc. But hydrides are expensive and get spent. Plain metal cycling between it's elemental state and its oxidated state is a cheap alternative. It still requires a way to 'charge up' the metal after use, but this could be done from off peak power or from much more efficient central sources. ie, it is much more fuel efficient to burn the carbon fuel at a high tech central source than to do so in millions of small engines. And ultimately the charging can be done by solar processes.

So, the metal is not an energy source, but a clean way to deliver energy to a vehicle. We still have to make the energy elsewhere, but this can be done at 2 to 10 times the carbon efficiency, or eventually by carbon neutral means.

Personally I don't see why we don't just have hydrogen tanks :scratchhead:

"...I don't see why we don't just have hydrogen tanks."

I think it's a combination of the extreme inefficiency of storing it in gas form due to very low density(need to refill constantly) and not wanting little Hindenburgs driving all over the place. Yikes! With the way people drive around here, I'd have an ulcer envisioning all the little bombs folks are cruising around with. The hydride ideas sound like the way to go for greater storage/stability.

I think it's a combination of the extreme inefficiency of storing it in gas form due to very low density(need to refill constantly) and not wanting little Hindenburgs driving all over the place. Yikes! With the way people drive around here, I'd have an ulcer envisioning all the little bombs folks are cruising around with. The hydride ideas sound like the way to go for greater storage/stability.

Good point re the storage. However, the rest is just more hysteria. Imagine what would have happened if the hindenburg was filled with propane, or petroleum vapour. Hydrogen just burns, it doesn't explode unless it is in a certain ratio with air/oxygen. And compressed it won't have any oxygen in it.

If stored in liquid form, however, it is pretty explosive. I guess I should have been more clear about what storage method I was refering to in that case.

is hydrogen actually compressed to liquid stage? I didn't think it was.

Yeah, liquification is currently the only way to store enough to travel for any appreciable distance on a tank. The problems with this method include extreme pressure/low temp. storage and the associated weight of storage equipment as well as the volatile nature of liquid hydrogen. It is MUCH more dangerous than compressed gas and there is a significant amount of loss from evaporation with current technology. The new BMW 750hl uses liquid hydrogen storage and uses high tech insulation to keep it cold enough to be efficient.

edit: On re-reading your question, I realize you may be asking if they compress it to get it to liquid form. I think it is a combination of pressure and temperature that must be met to keep it in liquid form.

Edited by FeloniousMonk

na, you got my question right the first time. I didn't think it was compressed to liquid, but just to .... well, compressed gas.

[and yes, I am aware they use low temps to help with the liquification - at least with other gases]

Sorry if I came across as condescending, Torsten, just trying to understand the question well. If you're interested, I found a paper titled Hydrogen Storage Options: Technologies and Comparisons for Light-Duty Vehicle Applications by googling the first three words in that title. If anyone can enlighten me as to how to post a link, it's a great article on the current technologies of this subject that would be nice to have around. p.s. I'm relatively clueless when it comes to internet technology.

If anyone can enlighten me as to how to post a link

Very easy FM - just copy the address of the page you want linked, then when creating a post, use the 'Insert link' button (a green '+' sign with a shadow behind it - to ensure you have the right one, simply hover the curser over the icons, and it should come up with the names of them). It will prompt you to insert the webpage address - so paste the addy you previously copied. It will then give you another prompt to name the link - this is just what will be displayed on the post. So instead of www.woeufboencwoienc.com or whatever it is, you can have something like HERE is the link, or whatever you'd like :)

Hope that helps :wink:

Well if it works on the same principal as an aluminium/mercury amalgamation then the alloy will need to be stored in a dry inert medium. Not that much of a problem I guess since they have lithium batteries that have similar requirments. However they are sealed units where as this one will be required to produce gas.

How hard is gallium/salts to come by?

I think I figured this out when I was 14. Used to make H2 filled balloons to blow up :).

Hehe, me too. Must be a Perth thing, although I didn't see any mention of NaOH...and somewho I don't think that is what they were talking about.

Great trick for anyone who hasn't tried it. Aluminium filings, caustic soda & water. Condesnse gast thru water to remove steam and fill ballons, condosms, shopping bags. Many fun uses including attaching a wick and and letting them go at night :devil:

C'mon hydrogen! - it is the way of the future.

Edited by Mr Spock

this looks hopeful

I have seen some water welders for sale on ebay here is one that seems to be modified for use on a car but only as a hybrid type setup i think they may have found a slightly more economical electrolysis method to produce hydrogen

Edited by tardistestpilot

harry - gallium metal can sometimes be bought as science novelty on ebay. it is certainly available online.

Guest homoGenius

How is people driving around with a tank of liquid hydrogen any more dangerous than driving around with a tank of LPG or wait for it LIQUID PETROLEUM GAS??

Both are gases right? Both are flammable right? Petroleum gas has more energy per unit mass (more chemical bonds) right?

I've heard of huge explosions from LPG tanks that go up in cars but even with all the accidents around the place LPG tanks don't go up very often? Why would hydrogen be any worse?

Comments?

Ever heard of a hydrogen bomb Homo :) Nasty bit o gear that.

Can't remember exactly but liquid H is a lot colder than LPG meaning that the pressure in a cylinder of H would be heaps higher than LPG. Greater chance of rupture in an accident because of this. All depends on how much R&D is put into containment for use in a car I guess.

Edited by Harry

Actually, Harry, a "hydrogen bomb" typically is refering to a nuclear fusion bomb. Deuterium and Tritium, isotopes of hydrogen, are fused to form helium and a liberated neutron. But that's neither here nor there :lol: Your point that liquid hydrogen is under much more pressure and therefore much more dangerous, is accurate, however. Also, liquified hydrogen is much more reactive and unstable than LPG.

Yeah your right with the H bomb. I was thinking of the fuel air bomb. Still if a H cell went up I think it would have similar effects.

I don't get the hysteria about hydrogen tanks :scratchhead: . Hydrogen is by far safer to have around than petrol or LPG. I've provided reasons in another thread where I put gas tanks on the same level as H tanks. After watching a program tonite that in part dealt with this issue I have changed my mind and now believe H tanks to actually be safer. There were a few things I did not consider before, such as the fact that H2 is 14 times lighter than air and hence any leak disperses upwards so rapidly that no one on the ground get burned. or that the flame of hydrogen isn't even hot enough to cause major burns. The program also made the interesting comparison that the same hysteria dominated the media during the emergence of the petrol tank in the car.

I've worked with hydrogen and felt a lot less threatened by it than by LPG.

Sure, there are a few things that bother me, like the fact you can't smell it, but this was overcome in the case of LPG by adding H2S, so I am sure there is also a solution for H2.

As for the problem of it being stored under higher pressure, this also means it will be stored in an infinitely safer container than petrol has been.

The dangers of hydrogen are easily negated by a few design changes and I think it is stupid and reckless to let uneducated public opinion stand in the way of this technology/ let's not forget that it is media hype and uneducated public opinion that has delayed ethanol in australia by nearly 10 years. Let's not make the same mistake again, because other countries are much smarter and have already moved ahead with these technologies and we will be left behind - once again. Just how far behind are we? Just do a google for HYNOR.

i think the prob with storing is a quantity thing. personally I dont see why it can just be generated in situ from water? A combination of photoanode and battery would do it.

The hynor project intends to produce it directly at fuelling sites in the future.

The main problem with hydrogen is safe storage.

Over time it will leak through steel, so the danger is more a pressure thing rather than an explosive one.

I worked with a bloke who was killed due to not following correct procedures for such a gas. High-pressure where he wasn't expecting it.

We were using gold-plated sensing elements on level and pressure instrumentation to combat this, but even thay were contaminated over time.

ed