The Corroboree
bob-bob

Erythroxylum australe

I have been looking around the net to source info on the plant Erythroxylum australe.

I have read some reports on it saying that chewing proved rather negative but

surely there has to be some positives to this plant..

Does anyone out there have any positive feedback for this plant?

Also since it is legal every where in OZ bar NSW does anyone know of a supply for some seed

or cutting?

Cheers.

it's a very beautyfull plant, i think tort and darcy both reported chewing it on different occasions, with very negative effects. search for older posts about this plant, one or two have been started by dary as far as i remeber.

i might get some seeds one time or another....

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=10638

http://sun.ars-grin.gov:8080/npgspub/xsql/...xsql?taxon=1105

Edited by planthelper

Guest homoGenius

Blechhh. A burning feeling in your throat? Why the heck would you wont that for??

And why bother with trackin down a rare dud one with all than effort when you can put the same effort into the real thang given there both illegal and shit? I dont even think the real thang is worthwhile. From what I've heard you need shitloads of leaves for it to be worthwhile. More than what you can grow in a backyard or so the story goes.

Blechhh. A burning feeling in your throat? Why the heck would you wont that for??

And why bother with trackin down a rare dud one with all than effort when you can put the same effort into the real thang given there both illegal and shit? I dont even think the real thang is worthwhile. From what I've heard you need shitloads of leaves for it to be worthwhile. More than what you can grow in a backyard or so the story goes.

A burning feeling in your throat? Why the heck would you wont that for??

I don't want that and that is why I am searching for people's different experiences and/or thoughts about this plant.

And why bother with trackin down a rare dud one with all than effort when you can put the same effort into the real thang given there both illegal and shit?

I don't think it is actually "rare" it is native to Northern NSW and QLD, and although it is native to NSW all species belonging to the Erythroxylum family are illegal in NSW, the rest of the states must have slightly more commonsense as E. Coca and E. Novogranatense are the only plants from the Erythroxylum family that are classified as illegal.

Also I may be "trackin down a rare dude one" simply cause I have an appreciation for plants in general not simply because they may have the ability to fuck you up!

From what I've heard you need shitloads of leaves for it to be worthwhile. More than what you can grow in a backyard or so the story goes.

Coca leaf chewing was a part of Inca culture for thousands of years and was referred to as a gift from the gods, it has managed to stay in fashion with many cultures in a few countries of South America still to this day chewing Coca leaf on a day to day basis.

Thanks planthelper, it is one month short of a year since your first post on that topic.. :P

Have the plants managed much growth in that time?

Edited by bob-bob

trackin down a rare dude one" simply cause I have an appreciation for plants in general not simply because they may have the ability to fuck you up

haha well said bobbob

Guest homoGenius
Also I may be "trackin down a rare dude one" simply cause I have an appreciation for plants in general not simply because they may have the ability to fuck you up!

Yeah I see where this is coming from but seriously how many people would grow cannabis if it didn't fuck them up? I'd feel like a granny growing remembrance poppies if they didn't smash me.

sorry to say i will not be able to go there this year.

not nice to chew but nice to smoke.very heavy on chest.very nice with opiates.

t s t .

yep, still in the uk...

and kew gardens probably has got many goodies in ther not open to the public glasshouse for economic plants, lol.

on sunday, in london, i spotted a salvia divinorum in a public botanical garden (in a glasshouse), not far from a big caapi vine.

the kew garden cactus house has a plant labeled pachanoi, which i don't think is a pachanoi as it's is very narrow and has dark spines. the other garden has a genuine pachanoi and a specimen that looks excactly like the pachanoi from kew, but calls it intermedite form, which i think is more correct.

haha, the smart kew people don't know how a pachanoi looks like.

heimia salicifolia grows outdoors here, and i have spotted some leonorus nepeatifolia plants aswell in somebodys garden.

a very common tree here is laurus nobilis, and i might start some research with this tree, as i think if the romans liked it, than it's good, our generation just simply forgot about it's benefits.

get ready for planthelpers 100% legal, virgorating, halu (elmicin) made out of laurus nobilis, only kidding, probably don't have the time, and equipment for this...

when i stroll thru the streets, i can see quite a few eucalypts and bottelbrushes (and one banksia!)here, which is very nice, as they remind me, of how beautyfull australian flora is.

Edited by planthelper

Why make a post if you have nothing to contribute? You obviously did not bother reading the original post properly, did not bother considering the posters aims and purpose, nor do you seem to have any appreciation for plants. What are you doing here?

Most threads I have read today have had some noobs posting crap, wasting bandwidth, and making unintelligent speculations. if you don't have a clue, have no experience, and have no understanding then shut up and let others do the talking! :BANGHEAD2:

Ah, shit! I just realized that my Leptospermums, Vanda caeruleas, Holcoglossums, Eugenia unifloras, Epipactis giganteas....will not 'smash me,' no matter what I do with them! That's just the beginning of the list! A ridiculously low percentage of the plants in my garden could potentially intoxicate me! WTF! It's weed killin time around here. (Weed- any unwanted plant. i.e. those that do not fade me.) Ethnobotany- the study of the way people use plants. This is a very broad field touching on medicinal, architectural, textile, food, aesthetic and yes, recreational use of plants. Oftentimes, I grow something just because it makes me smile.

too right, nearly nothing beats seeing a group of multi colored orchids flowering simutaniusly, and they dont send ya to space, they send ya to a happy place.

G'day, I found a big one growing in the Sydney Botanic Gardens back in the late 1980s. The herbarium has collection of pressings with map references, then follow your nose. Look for the little tags under the mulch. I can't tell you how chewing on a leaf made me feel, as I had earlier chewed one duboisia myoporoides leaf, and that really made life difficult for the next 8 hours.

Please be respectful of the trees, I remember the khat tree there was totally stripped of all leaves within reach.

remember if you take enough of anything you will get 'high' :D

And one coca tree is more then capable of suppling enough to chew, only half a dozen leaves are needed.

Guest homoGenius
And one coca tree is more then capable of suppling enough to chew, only half a dozen leaves are needed.

6 leaves? How many leaves does a coca tree have on average? I've always thought of them as coca #BUSHES# so just these petit small things about waist high. Could people seriously grow a #TREE# here? I thought these plants were like very humidity and temperature sensitive to the point where they'd just die let alone ever germinate here if you could ever get the seeds in the first place. What age do they produce seed?

Which species would that be teo? Just out of interest.

he would talk about novogranatense, and btw, seeds are produced by happy plants within halve a year.

Guest homoGenius
he would talk about novogranatense, and btw, seeds are produced by happy plants within halve a year.

Viable seed? Wow thats really quick. Can they tolerate full sun and colder temps like 10 degrees? How big will a plant be in 9 to 12 months?

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback...

Thanks worowa,

G'day, I found a big one growing in the Sydney Botanic Gardens back in the late 1980s.

I am hopefully going to the SBG's tomorrow so I will be sure to have a good look.

I have not been to the gardens since I was very young and had little interest in plants so

it should be a pleasant experience.

I was told the exact location of that shrub by someone who used to live in the gardens many years ago, but when I checked the spot it was no longer there. I may have made a mistake, but unlikely, especially since I had known about the general location of it for years before then and had spent many many days looking for it.

As for the E.australe in BG's, the ones at Jervis bay were removed years ago and of the 3 at Mt Annan two were stolen and the last one nearly died for several years and was stolen just as it finally took off. So, no australe in NSW BGs as far as I can tell.

planthelper isn't nobilis just the bay tree as in bay leaf (used in common household cooking)

Yes, darkhorse. Saffron and nutmeg are also just common spices, but quite pharmacalogically active. To paraphrase Ratch, the ancient Greeks considered laurel sacred and added it to beer and wine. At delphi, it was supposedly used as an incense and smoke for the oracular priestess. The problem is that many plants are refered to as types of "laurel," including oleander, sassafras, Viburnum, camphor tree, Kalmia sp., etc..

Here is a recent pic I took of a Erythroxylum ellipticum.

Found in the NT.

post-3173-1234523283_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahli
  • Like 1