The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Koala (Luke Perth)

Mushroom Extract?

Diffusion of O2 through a solid is much slower then through powder. To reduce oxidative damage just add vit C. One thing you will likely see happen if you extract is the more pure your product gets the quicker it degrades cos your removing the antioxidants and such. Luke your caps sure sound like dried powdered shrooms, unless they extracted with a solvent then added flour to remove goopyness.

Ok, so where would I find methanol? Would it just be in Bunnings or Mitre 10? What kind of brands sell it, if I just go into the hardware store and ask for methanol will they know what i'm talking about. Is isopropyl OK to use? Say I wanted to do an experiment with this extraction, and just did it on one average dose of shrooms, would that still work?

Edited by mardybum

you dont want methanol, you probably wont be able to find it. You want metholated spirits but then you need to distill it to remove the bittering salts they add, the rest is volatile compounds like butanol. IPA might work as might acetone.

ok, how would one got about distilling methylated spirits?

Guest Øskorei

May I ask what the ultimate aim is in extracting psilo? SWIM thinks it's so bloody easy to dose on cubes fresh, powdered, or dried as 'biscuits', and that extracting something for the same results seems to be a bit of a unnesesarry step with this particular allly. Try sticking a whole bunch in a bottle of vodka for three months if you want a liquid ingestion. Chem/solvent extractions can be dangerous to the inexperienced, and if it's not a required part of the consumption process, perhaps one needs to ask why ?

And Mardybum, be careful, eh ? Judging by your last two questions, I'm going to make an assumption that you shouldnt be fucking around with solvents unsupervised without at least a basic understanding. Not hassling, just concerned for your safety (and the potentuial exposure to ethno's, should you burn your house down/asphyxiate on chemical residues.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Shroom on !

I few points that need clearing up here.

Anhydrous methanol is the best solvent for extracting psilocybin, ethanol being the next best. Aqueous ethanol at 70% is the most efficient for extracting psilocin. The more water in your alchohol the less effective it is for extracting psilocybin. Acetone is ineffective at soluting the actives.

Teo what do you mean by bittering salts? As far as I know Methylated spirits contains primarily ethanol with small amounts of other hydrocarbons from production and processing. A bittering agent is also used but it is volatile to make separation by fractional distillation of the bittering agent and the ethanol impossible. I swear this was discussed not to long ago either here or on EBA.

Methanol can be easily obtained if you know where to look. I used to get it in 20L drums to mix my own R/C engine fuel. Cost worked out to $1 a litre if I remember correctly. Prolly not worth the effort to chase methanol down though seeing as metho works fine for the extraction in discushion without any pre treatment as long as the crystals are properly dried that is.

The reason there is a lot of discussion on extractions is because according to reported Bio essays the trip is a lot cleaner, dosage is much more accurate with extract and the majority of people it seems get gastro upsets and nausea to some degree with the ingestion on dried or fresh shrooms. These negative aspects are not present with extract ingestion so for many that suffer these side effects the extraction is a valuable and worth while process.

I agree with Oskorei, don't mess with highly volatile and flamable solvents if you don't have any experience or knowledge of what your dealing with. You also need a proper setup for heating highly volatile solvents. Proper doesn't nessacarily mean expensive but it does mean lots of reasearch and reading to get to the point of understanding what your doing, how and why the process works like it does, what can go wrong and how to minimise the chances of something going wrong.

Mardybum, since what you want to achieve can be obtained through a water extraction I suggest you at least start here before moving on to more volatile solvents. After all you want to be around to enjoy the results of your efforts, yeah? :)

EDIT: Edited to remove mis-information.

Edited by Harry

Øskorei - I want to eat extracted psilocybin so I don't get the nausea from eating whole mushrooms.

I don't have any knowledge about solvents, I've used loads before though, and never had any problems. I thought the extractaction was as simple as - soak/boil in metho, evaporate metho - ? I don't see what trouble I could get from using methylated spirits, but how would one proceed to extract the psilocybin with water?

Edited by mardybum

Øskorei - I want to eat extracted psilocybin so I don't get the nausea from eating whole mushrooms.

I don't have any knowledge about solvents, I've used loads before though, and never had any problems. I thought the extractaction was as simple as - soak/boil in metho, evaporate metho - ? I don't see what trouble I could get from using methylated spirits, but how would one proceed to extract the psilocybin with water?

For what you want it basically is that simple. I have never tried exract but from all I have read regarding this subject, extract is clean and smooth with no negatives. SWIM has 15g of shrooms extracted and is evaping the metho as we speak so I shall have a verified report from SWIM shortly :wink:

As for the volume to extract, I suggest that you start with more than the minimum dosage. You will get loses ad each step, in the filter etc. The more you extract the lower the percentage of loss. If you do a minimum dosage extraction, you won't get a minimum dosage of extract. Understand?

Gluck

Yeah, I gotchya. Well, I'm going to try eating mushrooms first, I just wanted to have a backup plan incase they did give me nausea, because I really hate nausea. So you just used normal metho from the grocery store, no distilling or anything like that? Keen to hear how it goes.

Yeah, I gotchya. Well, I'm going to try eating mushrooms first, I just wanted to have a backup plan incase they did give me nausea, because I really hate nausea. So you just used normal metho from the grocery store, no distilling or anything like that? Keen to hear how it goes.

No not me Someone Who Isn't Me, SWIM :wink:. But yes she did use normal metho.

Will let ya know when I get the low down :lol:

Guest Øskorei

Dude, you mean to say you're putting plans in place for 'if' you get nauseus - so youve not ingested before ? Aw hell, you should know that it's a walk in the park. Sure 'some' tiny % of people may have extremely sensitive stomachs, which would no doubt proclude them from eating all sorts of food (yea, food, not ethnos), but Mardy, be rest assured that shrooms are the easiest to get down. Try it out first without putting on the white lab coat

Try sucking down Sand Pedro goop, drinking a heimeia tea or munching on a salvia leaf, then you'll view the mighty shroom as almost tasteless by comparison. Just powder up nice and fine if you can, and swirl around in some OJ. Better yet, a banana shroom smoothie is a great breakfast treat.

Still, if your heart's set on a metho/other extraction, and you cant be convinved otherwise....If you're going to buy metho, look for the company's MSDS online to find out exactly what they are adding to denature the spirit. You should expect to see about 5% methyl alchohol, any other crap in there and you really need to be wary. An evaporation dish is also a good investment before commencing, so you can glug an amount of 'liquid x' out, wait to evaporate and look for any shit that's been left behind.

Personally, I think the post on page 1 of this thread about the cycling of fresh shrooms through vodka over a few months is a great idea (although Ide go for imported yellow tequila), and something for my FOAF to consider down the track. One of course needs patience and discipline so it's not going to be a tek for everyone

Guest Øskorei
No not me Someone Who Isn't Me, SWIM :wink:.

Ahhhh, I thought that stood for "Some Weed-head In Mexico". :wink:

Why do an extraction? Cos it allows you to see what the pure is compared to the natural.

I cant access the diggers site at the moment, but its msds for metho had a pile of bittering agents and included some salts. Distill in a still.

I forgot about methanol for RC cars :D thanks for reminding me :)

Best bet is methanol then, soak the dried shrooms in some methanol in a dark place, throw in some vit C aswell to slow decomp. Then strain and do it again, once youve done it 3-4 times then allow the solvent to evaporate. The extract your left with could well have residual methanol left in it though. Id probably wash the crude extract with cold ethanol or DCM to remove some of the crap. Psilocybin is supposedly not too soluble in ethanol, its most soluble in water, followed by methanol. IPA or acetone would also probably do a good job of removing crap. Just remember how much vit C you add and subtract that from the final weight, be wary that you will loose some vit C if you wash with ethanol but not if you wash with DCM and also there may be fillers in the vit C tabs.

Dude, you mean to say you're putting plans in place for 'if' you get nauseus - so youve not ingested before ? Aw hell, you should know that it's a walk in the park. Sure 'some' tiny % of people may have extremely sensitive stomachs, which would no doubt proclude them from eating all sorts of food (yea, food, not ethnos), but Mardy, be rest assured that shrooms are the easiest to get down. Try it out first without putting on the white lab coat

Oh, I thought nausea from shrooms was highly common. Nope, i've never ingested psilocybe mushrooms before, but I have tried a few other psychedelics. If nausea isn't a problem I see no need for me to extract, i've never had problems with nausea with normal food or drugs, except when I drink milk way to fast :)

Edited by mardybum

similar info may have been posted already i havn't read the whole thread but there is an article (by adam gottlieb) about growing myc that i just posted in another thread. in that article there is this tec for psilocybin extraction. the article deals with extraction from mycelial material but i don't see why it wouldn't be relevant to mushrooms also:

Crumble and pulverize the dried mycelial material and combine each 100 mg

of this material with 10 ml of methanol. Place the flask in a hot water

bath for four hours. Filter the liquids with suction through a filter paper

in a buchner funnel with Celite to prevent clogging. Collect and save the

filtrate liquids. Heat the slurry (the mush in the filter paper) two more

times in methanol as before, filter, and accumulate the liquids of the three

extractions. To be certain that all of the alkaloids have been extracted do

a small extraction with a portion of the used slurry and test with Keller's

reagent (glacial acetic acid, ferrous chloride, and concentrated sulfuric

acid). If there is a violet indication, alkaloids are still present and

further extraction is in order.

In an open beaker evaporate the liquids to total dryness with a hot water

bath or by applying a hair dryer. Be certain that all traces of methanol

have been removed. The remaining residue should contain 25-50 percent

psilocybin/psilocin mixture. Greater purification can be achieved, but would

require other solvents and chromatography equipment and is hardly necessary.

Each 100 grams of dried mycelium should yield about 2 grams of extracted

material. This should contain at least 500 mg of psilocybin/psilocin mixed

or about fifty 10 mg doses. Theoretically psilocin should have the same

effect upon the user as psilocybin. The only difference between the two is

that the later has a phosphate bond which disappears immediately after

assimilation in the body. In other words, in the body psilocybin turns into

psilocin. Psilocybin is a fairly stable compound, but psilocin is very

susceptible to oxidization. It is best to keep the extracted material in a

dry air tight container under refrigeration. A sack of silica-gel can be

placed in the container to capture any moisture that may enter.

hope it's useful :)smile.gif

Hey guys,

Has anyone ever heard of a magic mushroom extract. I have recently invested in what the sellers call "Zinc" and they say its extract in capsules. I have not yet tried them (waiting for the weekend). But if anyone has had them or heard of them please let me know!

Cheers

Luke

So are there any reports on your 'zinc' experience?

So are there any reports on your 'zinc' experience?

After this weekend mate, my mates have done it they said yeah its just like a shroom trip after 3 caps! :)

Ill let you know how it goes!

Try 4 :wink:

so can someone please clarify, is methanol or ethanol better?

If its ethanol how much wateR?

+another 4 :shroomer:

screw that 4^4

so... 4x4x4x4 = 256 caps :D

addition is for suckers, multiplying exponentially is where its at.

Guest Øskorei
Oh, I thought nausea from shrooms was highly common. Nope, i've never ingested psilocybe mushrooms before, but I have tried a few other psychedelics. If nausea isn't a problem I see no need for me to extract, i've never had problems with nausea with normal food or drugs, except when I drink milk way to fast :)

Watch out there for the white moustache after all that dairy milk, friends might think you've been part of this season snowballing team :wink: Yea look, mardy just give it a go (um, the shrooms, not the snowballing). It's not strawberries & cream (LOL)by any means, but its really not so bad

Try 4 :wink:

Yeah I'll see how I go :)

I feel like I should point out that methanol is pretty nasty stuff to work with (compared to ethanol & acetone) - you don't want to have it near open flame, or have fumes in an enclosed space, and it's especially important that you don't get it on your skin - it can work like DMSO, carrying nasties through your skin, and is pretty toxic itself.

so can someone please clarify, is methanol or ethanol better?

If its ethanol how much wateR?

Did you read Harry's informative post above? Or do you have a more specific question? - better for what?

i once had someone say to me if you could make a smokable extract from p.mushies you could make a fortune selling it