The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
occidentalis

Perth seedring needs a new coordinator

After making a few threats over the years I'm going to officially close down the seedring PO box.

They want $70 to renew the lease for a year, and it really isn't worth it for me. I have only had 5 or 10 orders in the last year, and I am not doing much trading myself, so there is really no justification for me to spend the money.

The person who takes it on will need to be:

A WA resident

A dedicated ethnobotanist

Willing to donate $70 per year to the PO box

Willing to maintain the seed collection and seedring website

Preferably willing to go to more effort than me to promote and improve the seedring and the seed collection

Please PM me if you are interested.

EDIT:

If no one wants to take it on, I will continue distributing all the seeds that have been donated to me, but won't accept any more donations :).

Edited by creach

Hi Creach, if no one's stepped up by the time I move back there at the end of this year, drop me a PM.

I've wondered for a while now, why exactly do they need to be to a PO box?

I've wondered for a while now, why exactly do they need to be to a PO box?

They don't have to - but most people would prefer not to give out their home address to people they haven't met, who may not be members of the forum or known by any other means. Particularly since the seedrings are local. Given that I've been a member here for a few years, it might be seen as likely that I am in possession of some valuable plants and perhaps some less savoury folk might consider it worth paying me a visit if I made my address public.

Ah thats where a well trained dog comes in handy ;)

My dog will let almost any one into my property but try leaving and your in trouble until I get home ;)

Now I just have to train hei not to eat my Cacti! Only takes the ones with mesc in too!!!!

Bugger,

Gee Creach, I really hope you find someone to take over the perth chapter of the seedring mate.

I agree $70 is a fair bit when you only get 5 to 10 orders a year.

Heres hoping someone takes it on.

Cheers, Obtuse

the few orders may simply be due to a lack of awareness about the seedring ?

Damn. If my favorite variety of sage could be propogated by seed I reckon I'd take it on even if I had no prospect of orders :devil:

I see someone has tried to arrange a Perth meet too - and there has been about 3 expressions of interest and you have had 5 or 6 orders in a year :BANGHEAD2: What's wrong with Perth people???

the few orders may simply be due to a lack of awareness about the seedring ?
Lack of stock for the perth ring would be my guess, but your right even some here forget about AFSR and as far as I know its basically unknown outside our group (thats kind of a bittersweet thing, if it was widely known more folks would donate but also a ton of leeches might appear).

Hey creach, did that stuff I sent in a while back ever get listed? Lycium barbarum and withania and whatnot

Lack of stock for the perth ring would be my guess, but your right even some here forget about AFSR and as far as I know its basically unknown outside our group (thats kind of a bittersweet thing, if it was widely known more folks would donate but also a ton of leeches might appear).

Hey creach, did that stuff I sent in a while back ever get listed? Lycium barbarum and withania and whatnot

I must admit to being very lazy with the website - actually I haven't used it for two years or so. I found it quite fiddly and annoying to use and then I lost my login details. So most of the seedring trading has been at face to face meetings among Perth people where I bring the seeds and offer them. Also, when I do personal trades I often slip in a packet of seedring seeds as a bonus. So your seeds have been getting out there, just not on the website.

I am quite aware that I would have received more orders if I maintained the website and made other efforts to advertise, but because of other restraints on my time and energy I can't put that much effort into this at the moment. That's why whoever takes it over needs to be a person who can commit to making the seedring work.

Edited by creach

I haven't had any takers on this, so the running of the seedring is still up for grabs.

I have closed the PO box, so don't send anything their. Those who already have my home address are welcome to use it, those who don't obviously need to get to know me better ;).

If you are after seeds, pm me and I will send them for free.