The Corroboree

Just got this email in my junk folder

Dear Friend,

permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you.

i got your name and contact from the ghanian chamber of commerce and industry.

i prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to it's esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trustworthy person i can do business with and by their recommendations i must not hesistate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

i am mr bennett makumba, the only child of late mr & mrs. fedrick makumba, my father was a very wealthy cocoa merchant based in accra, the economic capital of ghana, before he was poisoned to death by his business associates, my father took me so special because i am motherless child. i lost my mother on 21st october 1984.

further more, because of the love my father had for me, before death on 29th june 2001 in a private hospital here in accra. he secretly called me on his bedside and told me that he has a sum of us$16,500,000 (sixteen million five hundred thousand, united states dollars) left in a local bank here in accra, that he used my name as his only son for the next of kin in deposit of the fund.

he told me that i should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose.

dear, i am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways.

1) to provide a bank account where this money would be transferred

2) to serve as the guardian of this fund since i am a boy of 24 years

3) to make arrangement for me to come over to your country after the money has been transferred.

moreover,i am willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as compensation for your effort/input after the successful transfer of this fund to your norminated account overseas.

anticipating hearing from you soon;

thanks and god bless

Bennette Makumba

How could anyone possibly fall for that? I have no idea wtf the "ghanian chamber of commerce and industry" is, or any idea where the hell 'ghana' is (nor am I going to look it up right now).

One thing I've always wondered about these things is how do they benefit from getting your bank details? The details you give people to send money (such as someone doing a trade on this site using direct deposit) is only enough to send money, you need a password or something to get into their account and steal money. Hmmm I suppose people that send these emails might be good hackers that can do that....maybe. But if they're so great at that they could just hack a random bank account.

And if this guy is willing to give me 20%, whats stopping me from just taking ALL the money once he sends it?

I might be slightly more likely to respond if they used a bit more punctuation. But I suppose theres only so much that you can expect rich Ghanians to do.

I remember I found a website once that had the records of a guy who responded to an email like this, he carried it on for a while before seeming to be a bit insane and killing his wife to get the money, and threatening to kill the guy he was supposed to get the money off. If anyone knows that site I'd like to read it again, thought I had it bookmarked, but I guess I dont.

Thats enough drunken hate rambling. Im off, like a sack of prawns in the sun.

PS. On the topic of spam, I DO NOT NEED A PENIS ENLARGEMENT SO STOP EMAILING ME!

I DO NOT NEED A PENIS ENLARGEMENT SO STOP EMAILING ME!

are you sure? lol!!! :)... yes, I know, I am now laughing at my own jokes

hhe, you got sent a 419 by the looks of it LOL hard to believe but its fallen for SOOO often its not funny. if you get them enough become a 419eater, then they oddly enough stop LOL

Was listening to jjj this arvo and Americans get done to the sum of $150 Mill each year in Internet scams.

"boy of 24 years"

what?! :blink:

Edited by frank

Was listening to jjj this arvo and Americans get done to the sum of $150 Mill each year in Internet scams.
Yeh I was listenin to that too. Then I actually saw something on austar about. Crazy.
"boy of 24 years"

what?!

I just put that down to culture differences.

In australia does it fall off at age 21? :P

In australia does it fall off at age 21? :P

18 is pretty much the legal age for everything, its up to whoevers speaking to decide whether or not they consider someone a boy still. Still being a teenager myself I feel weird calling people that are 21, only a few years older than me, a man or lady, so I just stick to 'guys' and 'chicks' for them.

Edited by whit3rabbit