The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Is 300 a US psyop?

Has anyone seen the Frank Miller movie "300" yet? I downloaded it and watched it lastnight, and thought it was pretty average movie with some cool action scenes... about what Id expected really.

As it dragged on though, I started detecting what I feel were strong subliminal messages. The concept of fighting for "freedom" was the basic plot, and they even had lines like "freedom isnt really free"... it made me think of that song on Team America, except this wasnt taking the piss at all. The Persians are presneted as a bunch of despicable, towelhead lowlifes that oppose all that is good and reasonable.

This was just the tip of the iceberg really, it really has to be seen to be believed. Anyone who watches the movie should be able to detect the stuff Im talking about, its not very subtle... in fact its verging on what Leuitenant "L.T. Smash" called "the super-liminal" in the yvan eht nioj Simpsons episode. In fact, I just realized thats exactly what that films about.

Ok, so then take the fact that modern Iran claims the persians as their ancestral people, and you can see what Im getting at.

So, I think Im probably being paranoid as usual, but apparently the Iran government was outraged by the film, which has broken box office records, apparently.

Anyway I think its creepy, but I think lots of things are creepy... what do others think?

Virtually all movies of the last 6 or so years that had people of arab or similar descent cast them as bad guys, its the latest trend in racism.

Mainstream media can often be a good indicator of a peoples prejudices (actual ones and ones the rich are trying to foment), watch historical american films and you'll see a procession of different racial, social, political, etc prejudices. Right now its the 'brown skins'. Its just the way american culture works- be shamelessly racist/bigotted in one way til people get a wild hair up their ass about someone else, then switch to them.

Dunno why they do that :unsure:

he Persians are presneted as a bunch of despicable, towelhead lowlifes that oppose all that is good and reasonable.

OMG your not for real are you, the persian army came from asia and all over the world. Not only are their turban wearing bad guys but there are asian samuris, shirtless guys, elephants, normal people... I think ur reading into it too much, It would be historicly wrong to have a persian army WITHOUT turbans.

nd thought it was pretty average movie with some cool action scenes... about what Id expected really.

IT WAS FUCCKIN SIIIIIIIIIIIIICK, AWESSSSSSSOME MOVIE

GOTA BE THE BEST IV SEEN IN YEARS!!

Its full of emotion, and spine tingles.

Seriously its up there with the best movies iv ever seen if not the best. It makes Troy look like half eaten childs candy.

If n e one wants a link to the torrent I can put it up

When i saw it i thought it was abit fishy aswell, casting alot of the Persians as monster type characters, as well as all the freedom talk.

Still though, that doesent changed the fact that the mighty ancient Greeks kicked their asses,Earth and water HAH we showed them earth and water.

The movie has a poetic factor to it, The story is being told but the guy with one eye as he talks to his army before the 10,000 converge on them, This is what allows the characters to be over the top and blow up and gives the movie its poetic feel.

For some reason my copy and paste wasn't working yesterday, here is an interesting link to an analysis of the film...

http://www.payvand.com/news/07/mar/1251.html

*edit* btw Tepa, yes I am completely serious, perhaps you are underestimating the power that such a film can wield over people's minds... The article I linked to describes most of the things themes I referred to earlier more eloquently than I would, read it and then watch the film again, and tell me you don't recognize at least why someone would see it that way.

The guy who wrote that article posited that Leonidis was presented as a Christ figure, and one thing he didn't mention with regards to this was the scene at the end, showing Leonidis lying dead, surrounded by his dead companions... its an amzing scene, and when you watch it, look at how it looks like one of those ancient fresco paintings that depict Christ surrounded by various angels and disciples floating around him... this is accentuated by the crucifix pose and the arrows piercing him. Its a very impressive scene, and really quite surreal.

Edited by IllegalBrain

I also thought the same thing especially with the line, "freedom isn't free". While I liked the movie, I like Frank Millers graphic novel a lot better. Somehow the characters seemed more real on the page than on the big screen. Some of the dialogue did seem a bit doctored up, sort of like someone in the US Army had written some of it.

To be fair though, the Greeks did think that they were the opitomy of high culture, so realistically the Persians should be portrayed in that way. I'm not exactly sure but the only record of what happened at Marathon and Thermopylae taht I know of comes from the Greek historian Herodotus. Unfortunately, I haven't read Histories , but I'd imagine that the Persians would be portrayed badly. Does anyone know of any other classical writings about these two battles?

Herodotus does not portray the Persians too badly at all.

When i watched it at first it seemed like a normal movie but very quickly into it my propaganda senses went tingling like crazy so i had to mentally block that shit out, but when it got to the Persian fight scenes with Daemons,deformed gluttony fat doods with axes as arms and monsters that was going way to retardedly far, for a movie based on a real event.

Add to that all the talk of freedom,leonadis fighting for the freedom of greeks while the rest of Greece isent willing to fight out of fear ,all pointed to propaganda,weather its the us goverment or some zionist script writer ( who write the movie anyways, anyone know?) is anyones guess, but there is no doubt in my mind there is some deliberate anti iranian feeling to it.

On another note as a Greek i can proudly say we kicked their ass but to be fair, in reality the Persian empire was no more brutal then the greek empire, or the roman or the british and so on. someone should make a propaganda movies about the american slave trade, or the american genocide of the native indians.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

AH and also, tepa are you a believing Christian?

If so, it may explain why you where abit more oblivious to the propaganda. Please take no offense to that statement, Just wondering if theres a connection..

Herodotus does not portray the Persians too badly at all.

He tells how Persian generals in their campaigns against the Greeks no sooner got possession of a town 'than they chose out all the best favored boys and made them eunuchs, while the most beautiful girls they tore from their homes and sent as presents to the king...'

All know about the Spartans is from PBS.

Supposedly a warrior order that had a cultural homosexualality as a part of a warrior existence just the opposite of the movie.

So I think a two way steet on the pysop.

Movie and PBS.

A god read book Jack Vance

The Languages of Pao

About a hired langualist uses languages to create a tech and warrior class.

i checked out the link... it's sad to hear that the legendary story of thermopylae has been perverted so. ahh well, big films tend to do that to great stories. i notice one major difference from these posts - if i'm not wrong, the other greek armies weren't too afraid to fight, they were too far away!! the role of the tiny spartan outfit was to keep the persians out until the larger greek army could arrive and carry on the fight.

on the homosexual note, it's surprising how many cultures have viewed homosexuality as a warriors virtue when modern military policy holds an opposite view. the ancient reason being twofold: greater bonding between soldier/lovers, and less homesickness. pretty handy if you think about some of the campaigns that lasted several decades.

I wonder what if any psycological effect its had on peoples,mainly in the US "born again (extremists)" and average people.

Has anyones view on iran (persia) changed since watching the movie?

I wonder what if any psycological effect its had on peoples,mainly in the US "born again (extremists)" and average people.

I would be surprised if many people's views changed from wtaching any movie, the way propaganda tends to work is by aggravating and confirming preexisting prejiduces.

Honestly... no. And in most cases no, I suppose a countries ancient history is not its current state. However it does first direct the course of how things will preceed, but really all of us across the globe are united in the fact our childhood is that of a crazy self mutilator, however we're groing up and moving on. I have a very strong death rebirth theme going on this week.. haha oh yeah thats right! the whole easter thing? hmm could such a globally held belief be influencing my lifes synchronicities in such a way? I mean the symbology isn't even related to our southern hemisphere, it aint spring here.

Back to my point. I've watched some movies about pollack history and sure you gotta have your polish pride so you have your heroes and you have the bad guys, but in this same movie it showed just how barbaric a polish king was at the time. and I dont think less of pollacks now, being one obviously, but mostly realising that we are not to blame for our histories, we only inherit the debt to pay.

about this movie. I dunno. Obviously Team America is a piss-take and its poking fun at pro-war-propaganda. Maybe this is just a method of showing how artfully well done and subliminally convincing this venture could be.. y'know to expose the whole thing to the lay people, about how they're so easily douped and then the realisation will come and they will all laugh and forget about this iran fear mongering... or they'll be douped without realising. What Im saying is... nah, even with some bullshit 'good intention' thrown in there about illuminating by first obscuring. -If this movie is how everyone is saying - it does more harm than good, with soft puddy minds.

JC pose at the end is a punchline to the joke. you see they made a christ.. a saviour out of a killer, its JC irony.

[edit] just read that review about this being akin to nazi propaganda.. yeah decent review. so i suppose this frank miller is a bit of a racist wanker with no fucking clue. and i retract my idea about some possibly very dry-drought-ridden-country-stylee-dry ironic humour being the idea. however i see the JC comparison was actually meant to be serious, for he can save us from ourselves.. and the evil people...

"For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we're up against and the sixth-century barbarism they actually represent. These people saw people's heads off. They enslave women; they genetically (sic) mutilate their daughters. They do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I'm speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture. And I'm living in a city where 3000 of my neighbours were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built."

- wat a twat. forget about the golden age of muslim culture, where they preceeded western science and medicine by so many years...

gah!

Edited by El Duderino

guys lighten up, this isnt a deliberant attempt at facist brain washing with subliminal influence motives

Its a movie, made for entertainment.

I think you all need to relax and watch the movie and appreciate its heroicness.

im sure they made the movie with the intention of entertainment, not brainwashing

Interesting that you should post that quote El Duderino, I was just about to ask if anyone had the transcript of the interview that was taken from, in which writers/artists spoke about the President's State of the Union Address, but then I found the audio stream of the interview. Miller comes on between about 30:00 and 35:00 minutes.

Here's most of it, although its worth listening to the interview to really catch the attitude its delivered in.

NPR: […]Frank, what’s the state of the union?

FM: Well, I don’t really find myself worrying about the state of the union as I do the state of the home-front. It seems to me quite obvious that our country and the entire Western World is up against an existential foe that knows exactly what it wants … and we’re behaving like a collapsing empire. Mighty cultures are almost never conquered, they crumble from within. And frankly, I think that a lot of Americans are acting like spoiled brats because of everything that isn’t working out perfectly every time.

NPR: Um, and when you say we don’t know what we want, what’s the cause of that do you think?

FM: Well, I think part of that is how we’re educated. We’re constantly told all cultures are equal, and every belief system is as good as the next. And generally that America was to be known for its flaws rather than its virtues. When you think about what Americans accomplished, building these amazing cities, and all the good its done in the world, it’s kind of disheartening to hear so much hatred of America, not just from abroad, but internally.

NPR: A lot of people would say what America has done abroad has led to the doubts and even the hatred of its own citizens.

FM: Well, okay, then let’s finally talk about the enemy. For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we’re up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people’s heads off. They enslave women, they genetically mutilate their daughters, they do not behave like any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I’m speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I’m living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built.

NPR: As you look at people around you, though, why do you think they’re so, as you would put it, self-absorbed, even whiny?

FM: Well, I’d say it’s for the same reason the Athenians and Romans were. We’ve got it a little good right now. Where I would fault President Bush the most, was that in the wake of 9/11, he motivated our military, but he didn’t call the nation into a state of war. He didn’t explain that this would take a communal effort against a common foe. So we’ve been kind of fighting a war on the side, and sitting off like a bunch of Romans complaining about it. Also, I think that George Bush has an uncanny knack of being someone people hate. I thought Clinton inspired more hatred than any President I had ever seen, but I’ve never seen anything like Bush-hatred. It’s completely mad.

NPR: And as you talk to people in the streets, the people you meet at work, socially, how do you explain this to them?

FM: Mainly in historical terms, mainly saying that the country that fought Okinawa and Iwo Jima is now spilling precious blood, but so little by comparison, it’s almost ridiculous. And the stakes are as high as they were then. Mostly I hear people say, ‘Why did we attack Iraq?’ for instance. Well, we’re taking on an idea. Nobody questions why after Pearl Harbor we attacked Nazi Germany. It was because we were taking on a form of global fascism, we’re doing the same thing now.

NPR: Well, they did declare war on us, but…

FM: Well, what I mean is... so did Iraq!

What a cockhead. Its sad when such creative people are so stupid... he actually says "they genetically mutilate their daughters"... :lol:

Also, for anyone who is still interested, here is a link to a follow up article by the guy who wrote that first one I linked to, answering critics who said "it's a movie, its just entertainment". I found it quite interesting, probably because it confirms my prejiduces :lol:.

On a related issue, Frank Miller is supposed to be releasing a new Batman comic book called "Holy Terror, Batman!" in which the caped crusader takes on Al Qaeda. Miller says "It is, not to put too fine a point on it, a piece of propaganda - Batman kicks al-Qa'eda's ass".

Wow, Batman vs Al Qaeda, is that jackass really going to make that?? THAT would be the biggest form of propaganda for the next generation, kids growing up watching superheros fight Muslim terrorists...Nazi Germany, here we come.

So anyway i think Warrioe Sage got me started following this synchronistic pop culture train of thought.. more than i had before... quoting some other nutjob.. but i love nutjobs, nothin derogatory. where this fella would find synchronistic links to many themes, especially symbols and geometries and logos, continuing 'memes' throughout movies, their actors and their directors.. connecting so many things by a few degrees of seperation, sometimes a bit overboard so as to even be comical.. but then the universe is funny... just to get down to it quickly without starting a rant... heres the idea, that the universe through synchronicities and such, which seem to defy common sense, the apparent method of action which is cause and effect. shows us that there is a greater harmony connecting events in space time, into uncanny eery and funky realisations.. reading about alien abductions a conclusion made by someone was that the validity of how 'real' or solid these experiences were is nothing compared to the bizzare links of synchronicities connecting so many stories together. I think the point is to show the interconnection, and the beauty, it is the mystery as yet unexplained.. but im sure of a unifying connection between all that is, something like some harmonious geometry or fractals which show that each unique piece of information, altho absolutely novel in every possible instance, as a whole has a defined form everything is connected.. it has a form, that is infinite i suppose.. yeah so im rambling....

my POINT is that i often now look at world events, pop culture, anything really with an impact on our global psyche as perhaps not fully being within our control. Theres this funky thing called the subconscious.. but do we own it? or is it a sea of intermixing global thought? So now god with its dance of ignorance/enlightenment is working through these agents like Frank Miller, to unashamedly promote this propaganda agenda, in such a way as to even disgust a sober mind, who wants things pushed on to them in such an obvious way, dont we preffer to think for ourselves? or at least think so? the thing is, not to generalise, but it seems that the American Psyche has been pushed so far into suggestability and numb-mindedness, via fox news etc that such a blatant propaganda piece would be seen as good ol' fashioned entertainment, and the explicit suggestions arent even noticed. but then some people took Team America as a serious pro-war movie.

Agents like Frank Miller and Mel Gibson who show us just how obvious this mental manipulation can be are there to expose this very method of action.. its just too obvious when they do it! or maybe really like everything else.. it has its own seperate audeicnes that pick up on the bullshit, and those that follow it.

Likewise George Bush is a prime example of the universe now needing to create the most obvious examples of corruption of power to wake us up, the fact he's an idiot that cannot pass school and his family connection is the sole reason for his presidency and the whole electoral fraud thing must surely be an obvious slaughter of democracy.

Further i'd say he's gonna be a fallboy during the impending crumblage, trying to cast the blame on incompetence, where in politics, "nothing is an accident".

Yep, This conspirational thought is somewhat.. paranoid, but i'd say the forces synchronising world events arent coordinated by any group of evil humans, theres no control.. just either source.. or Force. haha man its star wars plain and simple.

guys lighten up, this isnt a deliberant attempt at facist brain washing with subliminal influence motives

Its a movie, made for entertainment.

I think you all need to relax and watch the movie and appreciate its heroicness.

im sure they made the movie with the intention of entertainment, not brainwashing

Tepa, I find this attitude extremely naive, do you still think this after my last post?

El Duderino, I've also been tracing these kinds of synchronicities in the media for a few years now, mostly in my visual artistic endeavours which involve collage. I also find some of WS posts interesting for this reason.

However my personal take on it is that it is quite creepy, ie I don't really think it is evidence of universal harmony so much as some kind of sinister conspiracy. This doesn't mean I think its all masterminded by humans, it may be the conscious or subconscious product of humans or some other intelligent agency or some kind of extradimensional synchronicity or all of these.

I think the most basic evidence points towards human agency though, and anything beyond that is speculation.

For example, Frank Miller readily admits to the meaning behind this movie, and there are more powerful people that have long been involved in media influence and control for blatant purposes of mind control/propaganda.

Even in Star Wars, the force wouldn't have been able to do anything without human agents who aligned themselves with the dark or the light side.