The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
blangschpeer

creating a loph house

Hey people, I'm looking to create a nice little lit box to grow lots of lophs in as I've run out of space on my window.

I'm thinking of having a 4 foot fluro as the light source and I have a friend who's willing to build it all but I need a bit of help getting the dimensions right. How far should the light be from the seeds/plants? It's all going to be a solid self contained unit so moving the light source won't be an option.

any suggestions or pictures will be greatly appreciated. Cheers

-Blangschpeer

Man this sounds like an awesome project!

Distance from fluoros to plants, I'd think about 30-50cms to top of lophs, but that'll depend on air flow and temps. No airflow will leave you with higher temps, so as long as you have a fan in there, this distance should be fine. The less air movement, the further I'd move the lights away. But no more than a metre or so, otherwise you will probably lose lumens.

Hope this helps and really looking forward to see this project progress!

Excellent, I'm thinking a computer fan should do the trick.

My fiance is freaking out though, she recons it's all going to burst into flames!

Even though my friend is a fully qualified electrician.... Me thinks there are other issues at play.... :scratchhead:

Anywho, I'll go the average of 40cm and see how it goes. still working the design out so maybe I can make it adjustable.

thanks ace

Hey man, if its going to be a larger setup (4 ft lights), I might recommend a fan at both ends of the house.

I have done a quick Paint sketch for you to illustrate what I'd do if I had the time/$:

post-2347-1174613059.jpg

Any thoughts or differences in design? I think this would be the easiest and most effective design, but I'm interested to see if peeps have other ideas :)

You might want to think about the running costs of such a 'house', as they might add up with the fluoros and fans... Should be ok, but something to be wary of.

I would also get it all running on timers so its automated - these can be found at woolies for a few bucks each and are well worth the $ - a lot of hassle saved there :)

post-2347-1174613059.jpg

post-2347-1174613059.jpg

Might be a good idea to incorperate a bottom watering system and having the fans themostatically controlled. Have a look at jaycar or DS i'm sure there is a kit there that would switch the fans using a thermistor. Cheap to incorperate as well :)

Might be a good idea to incorperate a bottom watering system and having the fans themostatically controlled. Have a look at jaycar or DS i'm sure there is a kit there that would switch the fans using a thermistor. Cheap to incorperate as well :)

looks good, I would use what is called a "passive intake" system if temps are not going to be high.

This can be achieved by placing your fan at the top of the box, to push the air out and to suck air up threw holes placed at the bottom, this should give you good airflow and remove any heat that is trapped at the top of box.

good luck

Thats a good idea CT - I've heard of that sort of system used in glove boxes for mycological use :shroomer:

Should be rather effective, though could prove difficult depending on how the light will fit in. Instead of holes on the floor, I would recommend them to be drilled into the sides, but at a very low point. Perhaps about 10mm above the base, as this will make cleaning a little easier, and still get the same sort of effect.

Damn, this is looking like such a good project, I'm tempted to have a crack at a real cheap version myself! I'm thinking a large plastic storage tub with a few modifications, but similar in the end as the Paint pic I added... Oh the possibilities!

Thats a good idea CT - I've heard of that sort of system used in glove boxes for mycological use :shroomer:

Should be rather effective, though could prove difficult depending on how the light will fit in. Instead of holes on the floor, I would recommend them to be drilled into the sides, but at a very low point. Perhaps about 10mm above the base, as this will make cleaning a little easier, and still get the same sort of effect.

Damn, this is looking like such a good project, I'm tempted to have a crack at a real cheap version myself! I'm thinking a large plastic storage tub with a few modifications, but similar in the end as the Paint pic I added... Oh the possibilities!

haha gee thanks Ace, as you said the 'intake' holes would on the sides a bit above ground level, the fan can be at the top or the side as it will circulate the air pretty well either way.

Also you can use PVC pipe or the like to make some tubing so you can suck the air from directly under the light or whereever you wish. Tis tubing would be connected to the fan.

Re - Tubing connected to the fan. What a great idea :) I think there could be quite a few applications for that idea... Hmm.

My brain is stuck in DIY mode - good one guys! :P

Re - Tubing connected to the fan. What a great idea :) I think there could be quite a few applications for that idea... Hmm.

My brain is stuck in DIY mode - good one guys! :P

LOL...Yeh its amazing what you can grow in a small box, :wink:

Problem with the tubing approach is that unless you tune the piping to get equal vaccum pressure across the length you may end up with hot spots in the house. May or may not be a problem in an enclosure this size. Adds un-necessary complication to the project at any rate.

I would suspend the light about 1 to 1 1/2 in below the ceiling with the fan counter sunk into the roof. The air will be sucked around the light cooling it and draw fresh cool air in from the base. Thats about as comlex as you want to get I think.

Edit: Actually over 4ft you would need 2 maybe 3 fans in the roof to get a nice smooth flow over the length.

Edited by Harry

Problem with the tubing approach is that unless you tune the piping to get equal vaccum pressure across the length you may end up with hot spots in the house. May or may not be a problem in an enclosure this size. Adds un-necessary complication to the project at any rate.

I would suspend the light about 1 to 1 1/2 in below the ceiling with the fan counter sunk into the roof. The air will be sucked around the light cooling it and draw fresh cool air in from the base. Thats about as comlex as you want to get I think.

Edit: Actually over 4ft you would need 2 maybe 3 fans in the roof to get a nice smooth flow over the length.

Computer fans suck but a 'squirrel' type fan.

Hot spots wont be a problem if using lot wattage fluros and a good fan...

Are the squirrel cage fans expensive? I've heard they work rather well, but can be noisy - anyone ever seen/used one?

take a large foam box, i got one 1.2mX30cm and place a light ontop of it, perfect and allows bottom watering. For hardened lophs you want teh fluros right near them like within 10cm. No need for a elaborate design. Ive found that larger lophs flower lots when under cool white globes, guess it lends to the idea of them being moon plants and their flowering times set by the moon.

What globes would you use for loph seedlings? On the weekend I'm about to inherit an old indoor "African Violet stand" with light fittings over 3 tiers of shelves. Hasn't been used for years and globes are dead. Not sure what globes to buy for baby lophs. Real babies, only about 3 days old.

Foam box idea sounds simpler, but. Great idea. :worship: You use a heat source with foam box? And no need for fans?

take a large foam box, i got one 1.2mX30cm and place a light ontop of it, perfect and allows bottom watering. For hardened lophs you want teh fluros right near them like within 10cm. No need for a elaborate design. Ive found that larger lophs flower lots when under cool white globes, guess it lends to the idea of them being moon plants and their flowering times set by the moon.
Edited by Gardener

Computer fans suck but a 'squirrel' type fan.

Hot spots wont be a problem if using lot wattage fluros and a good fan...

Wouldn't say they sucked mate, i've used a few PC fans for lots of grows including setting up a FOAFs MJ grow box..

You can also get larger "PC fans" that can plugin to mains power - pick em up from the local hydro store pretty cheaply which will certainly do the trick.

What globes would you use for loph seedlings? On the weekend I'm about to inherit an old indoor "African Violet stand" with light fittings over 3 tiers of shelves. Hasn't been used for years and globes are dead. Not sure what globes to buy for baby lophs. Real babies, only about 3 days old.

Foam box idea sounds simpler, but. Great idea. :worship: You use a heat source with foam box? And no need for fans?

I'm using one 28w cool white fluoro which has provided enough heat to keep the seedling domes with good humidity levels and the temps - they actually prefer this single light to the sunlight outside as i'm doing simultaneous grows at the moment.

Wouldn't say they sucked mate, i've used a few PC fans for lots of grows including setting up a FOAFs MJ grow box..

You can also get larger "PC fans" that can plugin to mains power - pick em up from the local hydro store pretty cheaply which will certainly do the trick.

You can get some pretty snazzy PC fans I guess, but squirrel fans will move a lot more m^3 of air and good ones are really quiet.

my foam box had 2X 120cm 36 watt fluoros, ive upgraded now and pics are in my blog. The lights produce enough heat here to raise temp to around 40 (8 degrees above room temp) no fan cos the seeds germ and grow fast at such temps. Put the seedlings under some cover and lessen that as they age. You should get good growth, i was getting 1.2cm plants after 6 months. fungicide is important at these temps though.

except seedlings i have always grown mine in 20-35 degrees. in 30-35 they grow FAST. i dont think flouros would make the box that hot. in closed vivariums it would rarely bring it to 30 in my experience. and they were mostly closed and had anywhere from 3 to 12 flouro fictures. fans just seem pointless to me unless your house is already fairly warm.

Yeah Klue i was starting to think maybe lophs prefer artificial to sunlight. Can't wait to try it out when I get the plant stand.

Teo nice peres setup you got on your blog, thanks for the lighting info. If i get 1.2cm plants after 6 months i'll be prtying.

So many good ideas, I can't wait til pay day so I can set it all in motion.

That's such a great set up teo! If only I had more space........... :drool2:

Nice fish too!

Yeah, my apartment's starting to get like that peyote house, who'd have thought one cactus 2 years ago would turn into such an obsession?