The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Two questions yet again

Adding salt to the Water/perlite mix helps to keep it sterile. :)

Is there any negative effects of using salt? I've never even heard of it! :P

I'd imagine to much salt would suck up the humidity, you'd want to really go over board for that though.

Looks absolutely perfect sphinx - just tell your mate to ensure he keeps fanning every single time he walks by that thing, and giving it the odd light misting as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First bit of mycelium has popped up this morning, i'll ask my friend to take a pic :wink:

F@%k that was quick! 2 days!

Very promising!!

Yeah quick indeed, but the fool didn't make enough casing mix and was in a rush (never an excuse, these things should never be rushed) so there's probably as little as 100mm casing layer in some parts.. ran out of verm though have to scoot to bunnings, especially to be in time for the upcoming flushes!

I wouldnt be worried about a slightly thinner casing - it is simly there to keep the myc hydrated and create more surface area for it to fruit from. IMO I think you'd be fine leaving it as is. :lol:

Good Luck Sphinx!!

I'd imagine to much salt would suck up the humidity, you'd want to really go over board for that though.
Maby that property could be used as an advantage. Is 100% relative humidity really optimal? a saturated slurry of regular fertilizer grade ammonium sulfate will maintain a constant humidity of 81% in a closed vessel, sodium chloride gives 75-76%

I used to use constant humidity chambers to rehydrate pipe tobacco and other smoking materials.

According to the tek the optimal humidity is 82% -92%

Any ideas on achieving this? I'm quite sure i'm pretty much at 100% there's a lot of precipitation on the inside walls of the container..

Lowering the temp should lower the humidity a tad. Not worth the bother though I wouldn't recon.

Some salts vary alot with temp, the CRC only lists temperature ranges for a couple :( I used ammonium sulfate for reliable rehydration of smoking materials because it is one of the few in the CRC that doesnt seem to vary much. Monobasic ammonium phosphate might be another stable one giving 93%

Harry knows more about mushrooms than me, it might just be one of those ideas for an expert to keep in mind when testing one variable and wanting to minimize variance in others or something.

Hmmm...

Very interesting. This is worth more invetigation.

What is this CRC you speak of Aux?

I feel some experiments coming on :)

Lowering the temp should lower the humidity a tad. Not worth the bother though I wouldn't recon.

Yeah, not worth bothering, but actually lowering the temp (without removing any moisture) will increase the relative humidity, because less water will be able to 'dissolve' in the air.

I'm unaware of any problems in using salt as regards the above use. To the best of my knowledge constant humidity levels occur when solutions are fully saturated with the salt. At less than full saturation they dont occur.

What is this CRC you speak of Aux?
:o

A chemistry teacher would dock you 5 points for saying such a thing :P

CRC actually means 'chemical rubber company' (a indicator of how old that company is, synthetic rubber was still a revolutionary concept) but usually refers to their reference book "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics", they publish other reference books, even one on medicinal spices, but the CRC "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics" is in virtually every chem lab and has listings for thousands of organic, inorganic, and organometallic compounds, buffer systems, binary, ternary, and quaternary azeotropic distilation systems, concentrative properties of aqueous solutions, electrochemical RedOx potentials, liquid viscousity values, properties of common metals and woods, and many many many many other cool things.

The classic dystopian novel 'Fahrenheit 451' got its name when Ray Bradbury opened his copy of the CRC and saw that 451°F is the temperature at which standard book paper starts to burn.

:o

A chemistry teacher would dock you 5 points for saying such a thing :P

CRC actually means 'chemical rubber company' (a indicator of how old that company is, synthetic rubber was still a revolutionary concept) but usually refers to their reference book "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics", they publish other reference books, even one on medicinal spices, but the CRC "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics" is in virtually every chem lab and has listings for thousands of organic, inorganic, and organometallic compounds, buffer systems, binary, ternary, and quaternary azeotropic distilation systems, concentrative properties of aqueous solutions, electrochemical RedOx potentials, liquid viscousity values, properties of common metals and woods, and many many many many other cool things.

The classic dystopian novel 'Fahrenheit 451' got its name when Ray Bradbury opened his copy of the CRC and saw that 451°F is the temperature at which standard book paper starts to burn.

I'd imagine that textbook is not as prevalent in Australia as it is in the US Auxin.

What makes you think that? :blink:

Its listed as being in every single australian uni library I check (I just checked 6) and every aussie scientist I've ever talked to and mentioned the CRC to knew exactly what I was talking about.

Oi, Darklight- you got a CRC right?

Edit: it is not a textbook

Edited by Auxin

Nope, never heard of it.

Then again I never took Chem at school and never made it to uni... yet.

All I know about chem is self taught from lots and lots of reading. Its a hobby for me, find its one of the most interesting and fundamental things you could learn.

Certainly fills in a few blanks about how the world around you works :)

I should try and snag myself a copy, sounds like a chem bible. Wonder if there is a digital version?

I miss the Hive :(

What makes you think that? :blink:

Its listed as being in every single australian uni library I check (I just checked 6) and every aussie scientist I've ever talked to and mentioned the CRC to knew exactly what I was talking about.

Oi, Darklight- you got a CRC right?

Edit: it is not a textbook

Nothing made me think it, like I said I was just imagining... at 3am too! Bad idea.

I was just offering it as a possible reason for why Harry had never heard of it, but now I see the reason was that like me he didn't study chemistry... :D

Alright, I guess it's been about two weeks since the cakes were cased, here's an update:

pinimg0086wy5.th.jpg pinimg0087jp6.th.jpg

pinimg0088oh2.th.jpg pinimg0089pp0.th.jpg

What do you think?

Been fanning everyday, maybe twice a day, never even noticed that it had started pinning until had a better look today! Saw the little guy about 1cm tall, fun stuff :)

Umm.. i'm assuming several more pins will appear in the next few days, how long more or less from this stage till the first flush can be picked? Cubensis they are, not sure what variety

Another question... another...

Oh, some of the mycelium has grown through the casing, so you can see white bits around as in the next pic, but why is this not where the pins are coming from? They are all over the place (sorry if the pics aren't the best) except for the actual white bits.. strange?

pinnoimg0090na4.th.jpg

Edited by Sphinx

In my experience it is usually about 5-7 days or so till harvest from pinning. Depends on humidity, co2 levels and temp etc.

More pins should show up every day, you can patch the areas where the myc has grown through if you like, can't remember if this is much benefit or not.

Looks a little dry, might need a spray before to many pins show up.

Agreed with Harry about the moisture level - waaay to dry... you want the casing layer glistening but NOT wet or puddling. Just moist, you'll get a feel for it as you do it - but definitely give 5 or 6 pumps from a spray bottle and allow it to gently fall and settle on your casing layer.

Dont stress about the myc coming through - thats what its supposed to do.

Spray directly on the casing?

Sterilised water?

Spray above the casing layer and let the mist gently fall on to the casing layer.

You can use normal tap water, no need to sterilise it.