The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ajna

Chimps observed making Weapons for Hunting

For First Time, Chimps Seen Making Weapons for Hunting

By Rick Weiss

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 23, 2007; Page A01

Chimpanzees living in the West African savannah have been observed fashioning deadly spears from sticks and using the tools to hunt small mammals -- the first routine production of deadly weapons ever observed in animals other than humans.

The multistep spearmaking practice, documented by researchers in Senegal who spent years gaining the chimpanzees' trust, adds credence to the idea that human forebears fashioned similar tools millions of years ago.

The landmark observation also supports the long-debated proposition that females -- the main makers and users of spears among the Senegalese chimps -- tend to be the innovators and creative problem solvers in primate culture

Using their hands and teeth, the chimpanzees were repeatedly seen tearing the side branches off long, straight sticks, peeling back the bark and sharpening one end. Then, grasping the weapons in a "power grip," they jabbed them into tree-branch hollows where bush babies -- small, monkeylike mammals -- sleep during the day.

full article here : http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7022201007.html

ajna

Very interesting, thanks for the post.

I can see it already, soon Bush will be arming up against this group of evil terrorist chimps....

Conditon red, conditon RED, the chimps are comming, THE CHIMPS ARE COMMING!

Very interesting, thanks for the post.

I can see it already, soon Bush will be arming up against this group of evil terrorist chimps....

Conditon red, conditon RED, the chimps are comming, THE CHIMPS ARE COMMING!

LOL, I think he'll prefer to train an army of covert assassin chimps instead, and use them for his devious ways!!

Most likely when Bush saw this he said "I don't remember making any weapons for hunting!"

come on

bush will arm a bunch of rival chimps in the hope that they will kill these spear making chimps and squash their hopes for communism, islamic fundamentalism or whatever the threat is this time

of course this will mean we will have some highly armed chimps out there and in 8 years time the americans will have to start a war with them to remove the weapons they originally gave them.

For First Time, Vegetarian Chimps Seen Protesting Hunting for Meat

By Rick Weiss

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, February 23, 2007; Page A02

The recent sighting of savannah Chimpanzees of West Africa hunting with weapons has just been followed by an equally astounding observation. For the first time researchers have observed left-leaning animal-lib chimps attemping to stop their carnivorous peers from hunting through protest.

A march of dozens of chimps dressed in tye-died clothing and beating drums echoed through the forest in an area known for its high profusion of Bush Babies - the meat-eating chimps favourite food. Some chimps were even seen carrying placards denouncing the consumption of these petit and charismatic primates.

Tensions were raised when a hunting band confronted the protestors and faeces were thrown by both groups, however the demonstration ended non-violently.

bush_baby.jpg

Bush babies are so fucking cute. How could these barbarous chimps do this? They call themselves intelligent, conscious primates. Ha! I call them monsters. :wave-finger::ana:

Isn't this akin to stripping a branch, and sticking it into a termite nest to get termites?

I swear monkeys already did this!

I'll be honest with you, I'm not that surprised that a chimp could work out a sharp stick would get bush-babies better than the blunt one they use for termites.

The day they use a stone-head on that spear, I'll be finding myself a female chimp to settle down with, because they are bound to become our new rulers.

Until then, I'll stick to stabbing bush-babies with what works best for me. :wink:

Yeah but the distinction here Benz is the sharpening, which implies multi stage tool preparation.

So far I think only crows are recorded to have done this before.

EDIT: Crows bent some copper wire or whatever to get food from a tube after trying with straight wire and realised it needed a hook.

Edited by apothecary

I see this as a half debunking of evolution as its taught.This shows that all those bones n crap theve found with tools n weapons n shit over the years may have just been another extinct species of gorrila,monkey type animals and not "early stages" of modern human evolution.

Just a thought n opinion ( i dont believe in evolution) for the most part.

lets take that idea further then, jesus on peyote

there is no evolution and fossils we find may be of extinct species.

digs have found shitloads of bones for so many different extinct species. think about the dinosaurs, the massive birds, the megafauna.

now if there is no evolution then they must have all simultaneously existed.

and gradually died out over the years.

all i can say it must have been intense for early humans existing at the same time as all these gigantic killing machines. not my garden of eden.

can you imagine the kind of ecosystem that could simultaneously contain all the sppecies we know of?

What's amazing is they are using tools instead of parts of themselves i.e. teeth, fists, etc. to do the killing.

Fishing for ants relies on the habit of ants to latch onto sticks, I imagine the intent here is to stab the poor little buggers to death, am I reading it right? If so how long till they wise up and start sizing up other species?

Somebody needs to plant out these Savannahs with some bud or slip the alpha males some E's so that no more fuana becomes threatened with extinction! :lol:

those bones n crap theve found with tools n weapons n shit over the years may have just been another extinct species of gorrila,monkey type animals

.....i dont believe in evolution

:lol: I just love it when someone says evolution doesnt exist, and to prove it gives a alternate hypothesis that is also by definition a form of evolution :lol:

One form of evolution is changes in populations, not individuals, via migration, population explosions/decline, extinction, etc.

I just love this thread! I am not suprised that we have finally discovered this trait. I'm sure that these sort of actions would have been known to a few species outside homo sapiens, its just that we have only gained the trust around these fellas. JOP, I respect your point of view, but you can see evolution making progress right here. This is exactly the way that it was predicted that homo sapiens evolved from the main line of monkeys. As we began to eat red meat, our brains grew larger in size and it lead to our increase in knowledge. Add some psychedelic fungi and plant material, and we gain a conscience and the ability to communicate via drawing and language soon follows (or maybe the other way around).

Its all right here. Before you know it this species could start rapidly changing due to their new diets and this could lead to some drastic new abilities. E.g. a larger brain or stronger muscle development, etc. Its unlikely that we will continue to dominate the planet with our sheer intellegence.

Anyway, I am dribbling shit now, I hope some of this made sense :P *wipes mouth* :wacko:

I see this as a half debunking of evolution as its taught.

Have you been taught evolution?

This shows that all those bones n crap theve found with tools n weapons n shit over the years may have just been another extinct species of gorrila,monkey type animals and not "early stages" of modern human evolution.

What you must understand is that those creatures that we call "early stages" of modern humans that used prehistoric tools were a different species of "gorrila, monkey type animals" or great apes as they're known. For all intents and purposes you may as well call them "extinct" too.

These old tool-users no longer exist and have since changed into the species we now recognise as us.

Just a thought n opinion ( i dont believe in evolution) for the most part.

When you say "for the most part", what parts do you accept/reject?

Edited by MORG