The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Mexico to decriminalize small amounts of drugs

take that :wave-finger: and that :bootyshake: political drug bully USA .....

even the dumbest politician most by now realise that the war on drugs is a total failure and that they are just making criminals out of users and addicts.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070213/ts_nm/...co_drugs_law_dc

Mexico wants to partially decriminalize drugs

Mon Feb 12, 8:28 PM ET

Mexican President Felipe Calderon's government wants to decriminalize first-time possession of small amounts of drugs in a move likely to draw criticism from U.S. anti-narcotics officials.

Under the proposed legislation, users found for the first time with 2 grams (0.07 ounces) or less of marijuana and small amounts of other drugs ranging from cocaine to methamphetamine would not be prosecuted.

The bill passing through Mexico's Senate on its way to Congress is a toned down version of legislation Calderon's predecessor, Vicente Fox, pushed through last year but later vetoed after angry objections from Washington.

While the legally punishable amounts of drugs found on a first-time user are smaller than under last year's bill, the legislation appears to contrast with the tough stance Calderon has taken against drug-trafficking.

Since taking office on December 1, he has sent thousands of troops to smuggling and production areas wracked by violence that killed 2,000 people last year and has extradited top drug lords to the United States for trial.

Ruling National Action Party Sen. Alejandro Gonzaalez, who heads the Senate's justice commission and supports the bill, said on Monday that decriminalizing possession of small quantities of drugs and taking some pressure off addicts would free up resources needed to pursue dealers.

"This isn't legalization," he said. "We're going to go much harder against drug dealers."

Gonzalez said the Senate could vote on the bill next week. The proposal would then pass onto the lower house of Congress.

Mexico is under intense pressure from Washington to crack down on Mexican cartels, which ship heroin, South American cocaine and locally produced methamphetamine over the border.

But authorities are also struggling to control a growing problem within Mexico's borders as more drugs are consumed in cities and villages across the country.

Gonzalez said part of the bill would facilitate the fight against illegal drugs by giving state governments more power to pursue dealers and by increasing prison sentences. All drug trafficking is currently the responsibility of federal police.

Repeat offenders proven to be addicts would face no charges for small-time possession, under the bill.

Gonzalez said last year's legislation was blocked primarily because the quantities outlined were too large.

I love this sentence:

All drug trafficking is currently the responsibility of federal police.

I presume this means that the drugs are really safe :wink:

The irony is that this is probably quite close to the truth. well, at least with the help of the CIA.

I love this sentence:

All drug trafficking is currently the responsibility of federal police.

I presume this means that the drugs are really safe :wink:

The irony is that this is probably quite close to the truth. well, at least with the help of the CIA.

I wish it were good news for countries like Australia but i'm doubtful this announcement would even make a tiny dent on our governments political stance on drugs.

Fkn government, they'll never understand......

my favourite part

take that :wave-finger: and that :bootyshake: political drug bully USA .....

even the dumbest politician most by now realise that the war on drugs is a total failure and that they are just making criminals out of users and addicts.

Woohoo!! :drool2: Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that Calderon has bigger balls than Fox had.

Two words....Mark Souder. This guy makes Anslinger look sane.

http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm??f=00&...2/&fg=&

This asshole is the architect of a bill that resulted in the denial of financial aid to thousands of college students who'd had a drug charge.

Repeat offenders proven to be addicts would face no charges for small-time possession, under the bill.

I remember reading about this last year when that puppet of a president Fox was still in office. How exactly does one prove that they are an addict I wonder. If you can't play addict its probably wouldn't take to much to pay off the cop.

Edited by liftyourskinnyfists

even the dumbest politician most by now realise that the war on drugs is a total failure and that they are just making criminals out of users and addicts, friends, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, FAMILY

I think the movie blow sumed it up well "how do u wage a war on ur own family" not an exact quote but near enough. FUCK THE WAR ON DRUGS. its a good slogan but it is no effective achievable policy.

even the dumbest politician most by now realise that the war on drugs is a total failure and that they are just making criminals out of users and addicts, friends, sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, FAMILY

I think the movie blow sumed it up well "how do u wage a war on ur own family" not an exact quote but near enough. FUCK THE WAR ON DRUGS. its a good slogan but it is no effective achievable policy.

"its not a war on drugs, but a war on personal freedom" someone smart who isnt me said that. B)

With the right laws and penalties in place, decriminalization of non-traffickable quantities of substances may impact the consumer more.

step 1: decriminalize for consumers

step 2: increase penalties enough to serve as a deterrent (for dealing).

step 3: start enforcing laws(properly) against growing plants which may be a precursor to known substances.

all depends on whether they can successfully pull off 2 and 3.

if they can .... well, it well might be an evolution of the WoD..... into something thats finally effective at controlling the so called 'drug problem'.

the future might not necessarily look bright, at least not for personal freedom.

2c

"its not a war on drugs, but a war on personal freedom" someone smart who isnt me said that. B)

Bill Hicks.

"This isn't a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom. Please keep that in mind at all times, thankyou."

Well considering the pharmacies with keta sets and every S8 under the sun I figured it was already like that... :wink: