The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

Peres comp

It starts today,ie today you can graft. I posted pics of my setup in My Blog

When eba is back online I will start a thread there for competitors.

that is farkin crazy. i think we know who the winner is going to be simply because with that number of entries you cant loose.

looks good.

hahaha Ive got 50 set aside for the comp, the rest will be for other lophs namely location cultivars or anything special, the first shelf is only half full :)

damn nice setup teo

im relying on about 8 seedlings and a few peres that arent really in top condition yet.

ill have to have a big montage and promote myself more as an underdog if im going to take out any position :D

but seriously, very nice setup you have there.

Holey bloody dooley Teo!! That is my ideal setup! Out of interest, what size pots are the peres in? Are they the standard square pots similar to the ones Hamiltons World of Cacti are usually sold in? They are small square pots approx 7cmx7cms. If so, would that be ideal for peres? I would have though a slightly bigger pot would be ideal - I am still very new to the world of peres and I figure they must have a fairly large root system to support their massive growth output. Would this be correct?

Either way - damn! I want your setup!!! You gotta do some arios and aztekiums while you're there!!!

Good luck with the comp - I wont enter this year - not enough funds for seeds and my few peres are far from ready to graft as yet. I hope to get around to it later this season. Got a couple baby lophs (raised early spring this season) ready to go, hopefully I wont lose them all to my poor coordination!

Ace

the peres are in 70x70x120mm tubes. You could go smaller but this is a good size because i can fit somany in and they prop each other up. Just have to keep them welll watered and fertilised.

Fuck gotta get me some Loph seeds..

Damn teo thats impressive,

well I only have 3 peres plants to graft on atm. however I am going to be growing mine in REAL light... none of this fake fluro stuff for me :drool2:

might graft on tuesday if things go to plan

:worship: Teo

you have been a busy boy.

Teo certainly has a statistical advantage, but I don't think this should discourage anyone else from going for the gold.

I will only be grafting to around 8 peres as it has taken me a while to get the numbers up - but i have some good stock plants now and they are thriving, so perhaps i will enter a few more late.

Yeah I have about 10, but its not how many you have its just about having a go ! My loph seed was old and I had a fabulous 0% germination rate. I also planted a few T.Peruvianus and they germinated nicely so I will graft these in a few days. Any news on when EBA will be back ?

yeah guys dont be intimidated, im happy to pull out if it means more people will participate. As i said before the setup is for grafting and the comp is just an aside for me so no biggie if i miss it :)

I have no problem if you (Teo) or anyone else enters. This comp should be about learning and creating some weird and wonderful cacti. I have limited knowledge in grafting especially with peres. I will just learn as I go tying to absorb as much as Ican.

I have noticed many people have had trouble obtaining seed or have planted unviable seed (such my older seed). I hope we can produce many new lophs and spead the seed around the community for the future of these great plants.

yeah guys dont be intimidated, im happy to pull out if it means more people will participate. As i said before the setup is for grafting and the comp is just an aside for me so no biggie if i miss it :)

yeah i think everyone should pull out except me. :bootyshake:

nah it would be no fun if there wasnt a serious comp. bring it on.

though i only have 11 pachanoi stocks and 7 peres that are ready for grafting atm. probably 6 more pach and 5 more peres that will be ready in a month.

just attempted to graft to 2 peres and 4 pach on sunday. not sure how many of them will take at this stage.

pic of most of my grafting stock:

post-117-1170765784_thumb.jpg

nah it would be no fun if there wasnt a serious comp. bring it on.

though i only have 11 pachanoi stocks and 7 peres that are ready for grafting atm. probably 6 more pach and 5 more peres that will be ready in a month.

just attempted to graft to 2 peres and 4 pach on sunday. not sure how many of them will take at this stage.

How long have those stocks been in pots?

The cactus in the top left of ur pic looks extremely etiolated.

hey teo, how come your peres are all at 90 degrees? mine all invariably grow at about 60 degrees, which makes them a lot less attractive for grafting. do you get the 90 degrees under lights only or outside too [i've never had them under lights].

Love your growing shelves, Teo! Go for the Gold;i´ve never seen peres which have been so straight. bye Eg

Tort they grow like that outside aswell, they are however very susceptable to wind or water causing them to lean.

Unfortunatly those plants are nothing special just somthing my gf found and wanted me to sprout for her, I know what you think they are:)