The Corroboree
Torsten

There will be no Ethnobotanica this year

The last couple of years we've been trying to get organised to put on an Ethnobotanica conference, but for various reasons this did not work out. Reasons include that Ethnobotanica always runs at a minimum $3,000 loss and we were not in a position to cover that in recent months like we did in previous years.

Another reason which has arisen especially in the last year or so is that Ethnobotanica is now run by a committee. Between committee members working towards the downfall of ethnobotanica, moving overseas, being large disinterested in the event, or simply living too far away to be of much practical help, it is safe to say the move to hand the conference to a committe has been a total disaster and is at the core of the failure.

At this point the committee isn't even legally holding any office and the association as such is a dysfunctional mess. Until such time a way is found to either elect a new committe or to simply dump the whole association idea, there is likely not going to be any ethnobotanicas. Personally I have found the whole process very disappointing and certainly won't make that mistake again in the future.

That's not to say we won't be involved in putting on some sort of event in the future, however, I have different priorities for 2007 and will not even entertain the idea of a conference this year.

As a result I am putting all my support behind EGA 2007 and call on everyone to support EGA as the national conference. In practical terms this means the following:

1) Folks who care about these sort of events need to get their EGA tickets early so that the organisers can put on the best show they can for the tickets they have sold. If you are buying tickets 3 weeks before the event you are only hurting yourself as the extra money will not help much in improving the event. Seriously folks, the organisers need your cash at least 3 months before the date to make some real hard decisions on what to invest in etc.

2) EGA has taken the EB date-slot. This is a really good date for many reasons and I hope it will encourage many more people to make the trip south and east.

3) Rather than just watching the EGA crew do all the work we will contribute with speakers and otherwise. [in previous years, with the potential of an EB a few months after EGA, we were always hesitant to get too involved].

4) With all this support maybe this time the ethno heads will out number the tranceheads :P

im already saving up $$ for this years EGA if it comes about, just waiting now lol. oh and to all those lonely hearts that have spoken to me (you know who you all are) you should really get to EGA this year. i mean REALLY! LOTS of lovely peoples and its not a raging sausage fest.

4) With all this support maybe this time the ethno heads will out number the tranceheads :P

LOL i have noticed we were in smaller numbers, tho meeting the other people that attend these things can proove to be rather trippy.

Its such a shame to hear that the comittie idea turned out to be such a step in the wrong direction when it seemed like such a good idea, even though I have only attended one day of one EB, I really enjoied it and was a major reason for me throwing myself into the community like I did. Fingers crossed things work out in the coming years, I look forward to another one being organised. (plus its a lot warmer up here, LOL)

If you ever need any help, you can look my direction....

Hope to see you all at EGA this year!

I personal commend all the sacrifices the EB crew took just to give us 1 conference, let alone the number of fantastic conferences they did.

I very much hope you guys can show your support for EGA, but certainly do it for what it is, not what it is not :wink:

MY FIRST DOUBLE POST WWOOOOOOOTTTTTTT

Edited by Salviador

I started out as a ethnobot, but now am also a trance head. I think theres a lot of people who are a mix of both who dont know it yet. EGA sounds good, is that in Melbourne tho? any links to teh detailz?? I have been trancing lots lately with less attention to what got me into it, i think a return to eb might be forthcoming this 2007

yeah I would also like to know what shroomytoonos is asking 'anyone have dates, when and where?' Also are there any age requirements? obviously i don't wanna buy tickets and get turned down at the door like so many other events... and this is one event that I would really love to attend.

Edited by penguin

Patience is the key my friends.

I know that work for the coming EGA is beginning shortly.

I seriously doubt you'd miss all the promotion of the event that happens on these forums. So yeah, just keep your eyes peeled and all details will be revealed when nescessary :)

I very much hope you guys can show your support for EGA, but certainly do it for what it is, not what it is not :wink:

LOL, definitely. Have no intentions of meddling in any way :innocent_n: . I was just thinking that I've been keeping a couple of really good speakers up my sleeve for the last couple of years, expecting them to deliver their wisdom at an EB5. Given the current state of affairs I think it would be much better if they presented at EGA [but I'll discuss that with you privately].

The same applies to many prospective attendees. Many have been waiting for an EB to happen and they keep getting let down, so I think this is a good time to encourage them to come to EGA.

As for shifting the EB-head vs trance-head balance, you can't blame me for trying and I make no apologies :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:B)

Ok dates

EGA 2007 News

Well you can go and grab your calendars of the wall right now plant heads and mark in this year's EGA conference date. As you will see, this year it is very summery so all those people that were too scared to travel to Vic in previous years because of the cold, can finally do so safely.

It will be hosted over 4 days in the Otways @ Opoeia; eco-arts retreat again this year. Well when you are asking - From Friday 30 of November to Monday 3 of December 2007.

We will give you more details as we get them people. If you know anyone that you think would love to come to EGA this year, encourage them to join our mailing list, to keep them informed and in the loop. This year we have something special brewing for mailing list members as we grow closer to the date. And certainly get them to drop by our web page at www.entheo.net

Hot digity!

thanks for the dates Ronny S, was hoping there would be a vic meet since delving into this community several months ago. and in the otways...such a beautiful spot (and lucky for me not that far) Have a small team of 'explorers' that dont yet know they will be joining me, will get them on the mailing list asap and happy to buy tickets as soon as available.

like a kid to the sound of greensleves coming form a 1970's bedford........EXCITED!

if you can go and your heart is in all this, you have no excuse, cant wait to see you all there.

(skips into the horizon singing "la lala la la....) :lol:

Edited by endogenous

Well, i must say, this all seems to be unfolding nicely...

Im so glad to see your in on this one T.. I was beginning to wonder whether i should be putting my hand up for BOTH ega and EB, and where that left me time and energy wise.

Sophie and i can and will put all our available resources into EGA (as we have previously) knowing that, this year we will definately be able to make it in the flesh, and that theres no possibility of turning around and doing it al again for EB (at least not this year)

I finally got to watch some of the footage of last years event, and phwoar was there some power flowing through that place.

some of the feedback i got from last year was that some of the plant heads felt a little 'outnumbered outgunned' by some of the psytrance collectives present within the conference mainframe.

I get the feeling this year will be a lot more of a fusion of the two worlds as opposed to the introduction of one to the other.

Im going to put it out there that there will be less drunken loud psy shennanigans this year.. with more alien abductions and plant deity revelations.

BTW how good is the timing this year? summer, in melbourne at the end of the uni semester...

And T, you've most definately caught my interest with all this tlk of having speakers/presenters up your sleeves.... (although just make sure u give them a good wash before you hand them over... we dont want out key speakers tainted with german plant head illuminati underarm pong) ;)

EGA.. fuck yeah

EGA.. fuck yeah

I'll second that B)

EGA.. fuck yeah

comin again to save the motherfuckin day ay. Acacia, fuck yeah... hehehe :P

hmm was about to shoutout for some tickets but i have remembered who can mail em to me ;)

just out of curiosity, as i cant find it at the opeia site, how much was the accomidation? not that it would be needed this year, will be no where near as cold as last years.

just out of curiosity, as i cant find it at the opeia site, how much was the accomidation? not that it would be needed this year, will be no where near as cold as last years.

It certanly will not be as cold this year :rolleyes:

and if you went the year before you would have incounted the definition of cold :scratchhead:

as for the $$$ of the rooms i will not be able to say til we work out all the fine print with opoeia after april, there may be some changes as the venue is changing hands.

but the rooms are very limited in number and it is best to decide if you want one as early as possible, but with the sun out and the stars in the sky camping I feel is where the fun will be at if you know what i mean

Sadly it is likely the tickets will be going up some, as we are planning on bringing over an international speaker (do not ask who, as we are still well in the early stagers of arranging the deal) but you will be happy if all goes to plan.

more info when i get my hands on it, but i will not be taking on too much EGA work till after my 30 birthday in april when we will then have a meeting and get all the nuts and bolts on the table and start playing the organisation game that makes EGA happen.

on that note i also want to let you all know that while it may be me doing most of the posting about EGA, that does certainly not mean i am doing all the work. Last year we had about 30 people working their butts off and this year i think it is going to be even more full on. I just wanted to get that out there.

And thanks to all those that have shown interest, we sure are looking forward to this years event

:wink:

It certanly will not be as cold this year :rolleyes:

and if you went the year before you would have incounted the definition of cold :scratchhead:

as for the $$$ of the rooms i will not be able to say til we work out all the fine print with opoeia after april, there may be some changes as the venue is changing hands.

but the rooms are very limited in number and it is best to decide if you want one as early as possible, but with the sun out and the stars in the sky camping I feel is where the fun will be at if you know what i mean

Sadly it is likely the tickets will be going up some, as we are planning on bringing over an international speaker (do not ask who, as we are still well in the early stagers of arranging the deal) but you will be happy if all goes to plan.

more info when i get my hands on it, but i will not be taking on too much EGA work till after my 30 birthday in april when we will then have a meeting and get all the nuts and bolts on the table and start playing the organisation game that makes EGA happen.

on that note i also want to let you all know that while it may be me doing most of the posting about EGA, that does certainly not mean i am doing all the work. Last year we had about 30 people working their butts off and this year i think it is going to be even more full on. I just wanted to get that out there.

And thanks to all those that have shown interest, we sure are looking forward to this years event

:wink:

SOLD Out online? what is one to do?

That is last years event :wacko:

if you join the email group you will sure know when the tickits come on sale, but it will not be for 4 months yet i feel.

happy you wont to come so much but :lol:

B)

That is last years event :wacko:

ROFL :lol:

holy crazy shit, this is actually being held when i can attend it and not during exams !!!! Im so gonna come :D

Absolutely fantastic news. Can't wait! :D

As soon as tickets are made available we're in!

I most probably won't be able to go to this one due to work, damn shame as I had a blast at last years..

Have fun kiddies and be sure to make up for my absence :shroomer:

Thank all that is sacred that i found this site and all the fantastic things that it's lead me too.

How the hell did this community lay hidden from me for over a year? There i was searching other sites and reading about all these amazing events in europe and america all the while thinking, if only we had something like this in australia... If only there was a community in australia devoted to ethnobotany, native cultures, art, life and nature...

Finally!!!