The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

I'm Back! What's that?

Hello everyone.

I'm back!

However I'm a bit behind so I'll be quiet for a few more days (not that I've been doing a great deal around here lately anyway wink.gif

So until I've caught up on a few things, can someone please tell me what that>

plant1.jpgplant2.jpg

I found it in a local 'Opppertunity Shop'.

I'll have some more pictures and a description soon smile.gif

Adrian

So it's not marijuana? If not, then I think I know what it is...well, not exactly, but I have seen one of those plants before. (the leaves have a tiny stem at the base instead of joining right on) There was one right outside my room at a place I stayed about a year ago while I was apple thinning. When it flowers, it even has a strange marijuana-ish scent to it - what a tease! I asked someone what it was, and they knew the name of it, so I will track 'em down and ask again for you smile.gif Sorry I can't be of immediate help...will get the name asap. (Which probably means a week or two)

if it has thorns on the vein under the leaf

i have some of these, last year i had effects that were quite pleasant from smoking the flower bud part, which is similar to marijuana in appearance but seed grows in a bean type pod that opens at the sides. i wont be growing this anymore as the caterpillar type thing it attracts consumed

a substantial part of my favourite loph graft and had a go at some trich seedlings, but because i see them everyday i've been able to avoid major damage in that area, but yeah the flowers look good and the plant smells really nice, quite a few around Marrickville in front yards.

What do the flowers look like? Woolies was selling some a few days ago amd I almost bought one.

If it has a square stem and a citrus-balsam-ish like scent when the leaves are crushed then it might be:

"Cedronella triphylla(syn. canariensis)

Common Name: Balm of Gilead or False Balm of Gilead

Description: One of the few members of the Labiatae (Mint Family) with compound leaves. The intense, head-clearing fragrance of the leaves makes for good incense and potpourri material. Clusters of 1" long pink flowers are attractive to butterflies.

Canary Islands natives used it to make "Canary Tea".

This is not the Balm of Gilead of the Bible (Commiphora opobalsamum), nor the source of Balm of Gilead buds (Populus candicans), nor the Balm of Gilead Fir (Abies balsamea). "

[This message has been edited by Amunda (edited 22 November 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Amunda (edited 22 November 2002).]

Originally posted by Amunda:

Common Name: Balm of Gilead or False Balm of Gilead

This is what I thought it was too, used to own one in my very first herb garden in Sinny about 20 years ago. I also knew it as Balsam of Gilead, can't remember where I got that ref from

If it is the Square stemmed stuff ..down here we call it water hemp, Cos it grows everywhere along the local creeks.

A few yrs ago a heap of highschool kids were tryin to pass it off as weed cuttings!

Lol it goes black when dried.