The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Anodyne

Anyone got a recipe for...

I don't mean the "sweet chilli sauce" you get from Woolies, I mean the red syrupy stuff used in Thai stir-fries and the like. All recipes I've found are either for the sweet chilli sauce type, or the dipping sauce type (basically just a watered-down sweet chilli sauce). If anyone has a recipe or can tell me a good site to look, it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Anodyne!!! This one is closest to the recipe I've used in the past, except I put in some lemongrass.

http://www.abc.net.au/darwin/stories/s856263.htm

not sure that's what you're after, but its yum all the same

Edited by coin

Good to see you read other people's post's BD! :wink:

Haven't got a recipe but the white labelled jars of "Chilli paste in Soya Bean Oil" that all the asian shops sell is yum.

Strangey,

Is that the red paste thats served with yum cha etc? I got some the other week, thinking it was the same at the yum cha place, Seems the one i brought was about 10X hotter than the one in the restaurant!! Woo hooo was it warm!! looks like i found out the hard way! Great stuuf tho,

And yeah, i did miss that post :lol::crux:

that stuff's like sambal oelek or sambal belacan (with shrimp paste) BD .. the thai one is called nam prik pao and has shallots, garlic, etc, all fried/roasted until brown and used in tom yam and stir fries, etc.

maybe it's nam prik pao that you mean anodyne? but i don't think it's so sweet/syrupy ?? not really sure what you mean

the one you're referring to -- where/how have you seen it used?

Edited by coin

The savoury chilli sauce served at yum cha is readily available in Asian supermarkets.

It comes in a non-descript glass bottle and has a blue label with a boat (junk) on it. :) Cant remember the name sorry.

The one I buy is a thick sugary paste, good enough to eat straight out the jar. :drool:

Pantainorasingh brand - original since 1962!

The savoury chilli sauce served at yum cha is readily available in Asian supermarkets.

It comes in a non-descript glass bottle and has a blue label with a boat (junk) on it. :) Cant remember the name sorry.

I believe the brand you refer to is is "Koon Yick Wah Kee", a nice little Hong-Kong made sauce. Very natural, contains only chilli, salt, sweet potato & vinegar. Hmm, yes, sweet potato ! Nice zing to it.

Edited by Green Osiris

Wow, thanks all for the quick replies! There's so many tasty-sounding recipes - I'll have to try a few batches: a tomato-based one, a gingery one, a lemongrassy one...Yum!

the white labelled jars of "Chilli paste in Soya Bean Oil" that all the asian shops sell is yum.

Is that the Maesri brand one? If so, try to find the one with the red label instead (has a B&W pic of some guy's face) - it's much better. I use that stuff in everything - soups, stews, salad dressings, beans, pasta sauce, stir-fries, pizzas, also to accompany dahls & curries. Goes beautifully with mango chutney. And pasta with just pesto & this roast chilli paste is one of the tastiest things ever.

I like the idea of sharing recipes here - I'm going to go post my salsa recipe as a new thread right now.

Edited by Anodyne

I believe the brand you refer to is is "Koon Yick Wah Kee", a nice little Hong-Kong made sauce. Very natural, contains only chilli, salt, sweet potato & vinegar. Hmm, yes, sweet potato ! Nice zing to it.

thats the one...yumbo! :)

If so, try to find the one with the red label instead (has a B&W pic of some guy's face) - it's much better. I use that stuff in everything - soups, stews, salad dressings, beans, pasta sauce, stir-fries, pizzas, also to accompany dahls & curries. Goes beautifully with mango chutney. And pasta with just pesto & this roast chilli paste is one of the tastiest things ever.

Had a look for B&W guy at the markets. These jars were all in Chinese and if they had an English sticker attached to them at all it could be pretty dodgy, some had something like - Product:chicken & black beans? :unsure: Different looking jars - same sticker. :unsure:

Does the one you're talking about contain 54% chilli with lots of seeds? Looks and sounds mighty hot.

But on the plus side I did find some cheap Lee Kum Kee XO sauce. :drool:

Does the one you're talking about contain 54% chilli with lots of seeds? Looks and sounds mighty hot.

Yep, that's the one. I love it - not as sweet as the Maesri one, but far tastier. There's a few different varieties with peanuts, blackbeans & fish, I think, but I prefer the plain one. They're sometimes mislabelled though - just check to make sure it's what it says.

Yeah if I could read Chinese I could. :lol: Anyway here is a recipe that contains similar ingredients to the Pantainorasingh Chili Paste.

post-608-1163410540_thumb.jpg