The Corroboree
sobriquet

Anyone else into knives?

PNGdagger.jpg

PNG bone dagger.

Not a fan of liner lock,CRKT did a line of locking liner lock but we can only carry slip joints unless we have a valid need.

I have a FOX Kukri,not suitable for actual use i'll wager.

My favourite is still the Spyderco Dragonfly,i have several but lost the serrated when i lost my mobile.

Next favourite is the Boker Mini Smatchet,just wish i had bought the Damascus version.

Falkniven U2 is third favourite.

In the UK Taylors Eye Witness make a range of slip joints that are probably the best of the remaining Sheffield makers.

Opinel of France make useable knives, No 13 the Giant is a whopper and worth stashing away.

Bad experience with Benchmade sheaths with the thumblock,these simply fracture.

Tyr of Andromeda fame seemed to use a lot of United Cutlery.

What's your problem with liner-locks?

I've always seen them to be one of the more positive locking systems. A tighter grip acts to apply more pressure to the lock, so near-impossible to accidentally disengage, yet quite easy to do so one-handed (when desired) compared to a back-lock etc.

Spyderco, Boker, and Opinel are all fine cutlers (I had an Opinel No 10 as a general purpose boat-knife for years and loved it's simple quality and ease at restoring an edge - It'd rarely see a stone, just a few wipes on the steel).

Falkniven I've no experience with, but can only remember good stories.

Have to throw in Buck (even with their religious bent), Gerber, and Kershaw.

For years I carried a pair (boner and skinner) of Green River's/Dexter Russels/Victorinox's in my pack. After moving to hunting solely Sambar Deer and dogs (wild only, of course) I down-sized to 5" blade belt-knives. Whilst the fleshing takes longer, caping is much easier with the smaller blades. And it's not as if you're dressing out dozens of deer every trip, as you would be with pigs, goats or roos, and need to be more careful with the finer (and more keepable) skins.

ed

A great throwing knife and great heat treated steel , is get a old wood cutting branch snipping tool and take apart.

One part is one.

The other use in a:

Might use it in a movie where atomic mutants as a prop for a movie.

What about katanas, anyone own this exotic and extremely expensive weapon. I suppose the short ones count as a knife, ie, the hari kiri ones.

I think the short was for house use.

[home invaion]

the longer more for military.

Swords are not much good as the japanese learned the hard way with the atomic bomb.

And the germans with the wwi helments.

A new day a age but not as to being blow up [nuclear]

Suggestions for a dim wit...

I have an Ed Louchard lock blade knife from the late 70's... Like a dimwit, I had it in my bag at a rock and roll show and left the bag on the floor backstage... Later noticed someone had spilled a soft drink on my bag, but didn't bother to look at everything in it... much later discovered the soda had pitted the blade which was made from a Volvo spring... the knife is gorgeous... ebony with titanium inside... sigh... any suggestions for repairing the blade? I don't think Ed makes knives any more... he's building boats now...

I not so sure how they make blade anymore but they might make blade out of fine powder and heat/stamp to the desired metal.

The brazial arms amunfactures do so for handguns frames.

I got one it [knife Smith and Wesson]] and does rust like stainless steel but still has a the shine of the powder.

Not much to do with titaniun as a comment.

But titanium probalbly would be a herloom item.

But my outlook if it does and last my lifetime i don't care if is dug up as a several hundreds of years in the future.

steel does rust so not perfect and enjoy the pits as a herloom item and not worry about perfection.

Thanks for your reply devance.... I'm sure you are right... I'll just enjoy it the way it is... I was feeling like I had not respected this beautiful item enough... but maybe remembering the music from that show which still brings a smile to my face will add to its history... When I pass it on to my daughter, she will hear the story and so on..............

I just bought one of these for myself

It's an american company

The blade is made in japan by these people

I needed a good blade for taking cuttings. The first cutting I took with it I cut my thumb to the bone

and blood gushed out. Most knives you can cut something against your thumb and it just stops at your skin.

This one just went through the skin with almost no resistance. I won't be able to use it for a little while.

On the bright side the cut was so clean it closed up neatly with paper sutures.

The company sells this model with a dummy blunt blade for martial arts practice.

Who the3 fuck keeps a knife under their bed??? People like you should be locked away

People that are incapable of protecting themselves and other people from violence are the kind

of hippy trippy idiots that will rationalise away the violence around them

They are as bad as perpetrators and usually violent in their own indirect way

and sharpened them a month ago for the first time with my Spyderco triangle sharpmaker.

lol if they were wuchof then you just detroyed some nice steel!!!

seriously get some whetstones or somethin if you want to learn how to sharpen knives find someone who knows what theyr doin the flakeyness was layers of steel you were stripping of with your tree saw sharpener!!!

look into shun knives for some nice japan steel

Edited by stiched up

People that are incapable of protecting themselves and other people from violence are the kind

of hippy trippy idiots that will rationalise away the violence around them

They are as bad as perpetrators and usually violent in their own indirect way

I think I found the motorcycle helmet with the scythe in this post the most disturbing

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11579&view=findpost&p=103584

I am now the heir to a very old and sacred Javanese Keris. For those that don't know it is an Indonesian short hand sword used to defend the old Kings and other members of Javanese royalty. My father in law passed recently and I am the one to be entrusted with it's care. The only problem I have is getting the damn thing over here, and learning how to do the keris cleaning and worship ceremony.

i have always wanted a keris, they are really cool weapons and used in pencak silat as well.

Img1088.jpg

Played with something similar to this piece of Art last week...

Made the tripiest julian ive ever seen, and that's sayin' somethin' :P

..or at least may have a butter chance than mostpost-4908-126208184928_thumb.jpg

x-ray-article-752578358.jpg

x-ray-article-752578358.jpg

Pocket-knives illegal in VIC.

When the fuck did this slip in? I pay little heed to current events these days, but surprised I totally missed this.

Any other states following suit?

Shit, I had a pocket-knife before I went to school.

Where I came from, all men did. Not for random murders and such, more for cutting string, opening parcels, etc.

Anyone know how this applies to multi-tool type items (ie Leatherman etc)?

They can get stuffed in my book.

Not happy knowing I can be stitched-up at any time if they choose though.

ed

i wish butterfly knives werent illegal.

check out this video of some crazy butterfly knife skills.

its just like fire twiling or spinning a pen around your fingers, only with knives instead.

Stoner Jesus has more balls then skill. I had one of these as a kid and its surprising how easy they are to twirl like this. Can't say I've been interested in having knives around my house. My friend got home invaded and they held a knife to his fingers and threatened to take them off. The knife was one of his own!!!!!

Edited by Slybacon

Can't say I've been interested in having knives around my house. My friend got home invaded and they held a knife to his fingers and threatened to take them off. The knife was one of his own!!!!!

URGENT CALL TO BAN ALL CARVING KNIVES

Img1088.jpg

Played with something similar to this piece of Art last week...

Made the tripiest julian ive ever seen, and that's sayin' somethin' :P

nice one i think thats the 22 layered one below the shun but yeah very nice steel they also come scalloped

I am now the heir to a very old and sacred Javanese Keris. The only problem I have is getting the damn thing over here...

Careful, most Keris are prohibited under Customs PI regs (schedule 2 item 9). You might want to make sure one edge is blunt...

EDIT: clarification

Edited by madhouses visites

I think I found something surprising. I was trying to figure out what woods my dad had collected for making knife handles with and in browsing a site I found Yaje wood knife handle blanks for sale!?!

Is Yaje also some sort of tree or might it actually be fucking real ayahuasca wood? :unsure:

Bottom of page [Link]

It looks like a hardwood tree wood to me but with the size of some B. caapi logs its not impossible, whatcha think?

I've toyed with the idea of making a gem studded knife for cutting cacti, for clonal purposes of course :innocent_n: How fucking awesome would one made with aya wood be.

got these at work now

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Machete-22-41576.htm

dunno if i like them being so long. it looks really cool though, and the saw is handy.

i wonder about the legality of wandering around public creeks, parks, roadsides, medians with a machete on your belt or in your hand, as we do at work. surely something isn't right here? it's not as though everybody i work with has common sense or a stable personality.