The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Too late to restart poppies???

I walked outside to find that the ducks had eaten every poppy that I have. Is it too late to restart some more? Will they come back?

I don't think so, a ferret sowed some opium seeds about month ago, and they are growing well...they are only about 15cms high with wide leaves...but no pods yet.....

A shaman gave Wastl some seeds and he sowed them a week or two ago and they're coming up nicely now.

No I don't think it's too late to put a second crop in now...

It'd be even better with the seasons down south since it takes longer there to get hot than here in qld....

BTW what are paeony poppies?

I know there's heaps of threads abut them but I'm lazy...or does busy sound better?

Are they the red ones? Like the ones they grow in Germany for poppy seeds?

Guest reville

Paeony poppies

Papaver somniferum var.paeoniflorum

Basivally the same species but they have double flowers and generally low alkaloid content.

What puzzles me is that in WA paeonies are legal to grow and yet somnis are not (as per the ag dept's list).

Paeonies are low in alkaloids but im sure they are cross fertile

They also have darker seeds it seems

Im sure if someone was inclined then they could do a cross and then stabilise for high alkaloid and double flowers

That would make an interesting legal point too if there was no clear evidence to suggest intent to use and no clear botanical definition from the Botanists.

Originally posted by reville:

Paeonies are low in alkaloids but im sure they are cross fertile

They also have darker seeds it seems

Im sure if someone was inclined then they could do a cross and then stabilise for high alkaloid and double flowers

I'm pretty sure they are cross fertile.

A gnome I know has crossed them with Persian Whites and another single mauvish somniferum.

He's just waiting for the first generation to flower and then he'll try to start selecting the best ones etc.

hy Garret,

this gnome are really funny!it's seems that every where in the world they have the same hobbies...

those i known are waiting the next year to try their second generation of pink paeniflorum...

maybe a best idea for them to try with an indian-black paeniflorum.