The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jasemateau

well i'm off

well some of you may remember some time ago i started a thread about what the hell to do about changing career's and what not. it was a good tread and got alot of insight.

i decided to keep on doing (for the time being) what i have been doing for 15 years now, oddly enough i applied for a job about 2am after work on the net, just did it spontaniosly and i got a phone call back about a week later...........

i was at probly the lowest point in trying to remain positive about where the current job was taking me, but knowing full well i had actually taken 3 steps back, in order to gain a life.

um i did'nt really injoy this thing life as it seems, i realized that i have always loved my work and love the creative outlet it provids me, so belive it or not i was actually happier working harder, doing what i really love.

in brisbane it had got to point where all i was doing was making food for farmers visiting the city, it got so bad in the hotel we ended up calling the buffet the trophs, or troffs how ever it is spelt. fill the trophs up all the time.

i have to say i left australia 7 years ago because i was sick and tired of making dirty ol brownie, mud cake, and fucking pavlova.

sad but true when i came back brisbane was still making this shit and the guests still love it...

i remember one afternoon i'd co-ordinated a afternoon tea buffet for 150 people with not one brownie, mud cake, or pavlova.

panties

and you guessed the first 3 guests that walked in said, OH MY GOD LOOK AT THE MUD CAKE, OH AND THAT LAYERED MUD CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for fuck sake no body cares about food in queensland, well not in the 5 star hotels anyway. all they are doing these days is turning over massive numbers with a really de-grading product to skilled staff that do have a real talent, or thurst to become a better professional.

i also suggested to our european executive chef, hey lets put a chiboust on the menu and because it was summer i developed a frozen chiboust, our executive chef told me NO unless we call it a parfait.

he explained to me that it was'nt our job to educate the public what is what on the menu.........

:BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

so after :BANGHEAD2: for 2 years it was a good spontanious decsion, i'm of to island belonging to greater china, strangely enough all the pictures i sent them of my work were all from before i landed in brisbane.

so i'll be able to get back to real world of pressure to push my envelope, and evolve my skill.

so i'll be in and out of the forum but not as much as i used to be.

thank so much ya'll

oh and T i'l be in touch about that dog :wink:

did someone say panties?

Edited by jasemateau

Hi Jasemateau,

Best of Luck over there. Come back in one pice :drool: Best Wishes EG

sounds great...all the best! :)

you make such wonderful things and I know they are not appreciated in australia. I know exactly how you feel because I used to crave finding these things here, but no one makes them because they won't sell well. I think the only places your skills would be appreciated would be in (small) parts of melbourne or sydney, but again, you would not be compensated fairly for your level of expertise.

So moving overseas seems to be the best thing for you. It will keep you motivated and inspired in what you obviously love doing. Best of luck!

(sniff. I wish I could eat chocolate :()

PM me for dog sitting arrangements. I can come up at a few days notice.

sounds like the executive 'deep-fry' chef is in his element. leave him to it :P

the very best wishes for your excellent adventure jasemateau. im looking forward to seeing some pic's of your creations soon ,i hope. how about posting a few of your recipes, 'secret' sauces and such, perhaps :wink:

safe travels.

Can I have some mudcake before you go? :P

Just kiddin!

Good luck :)

country food in SE qld and nnsw is awful

esp qld bakeries

finding real food can be a challenge

it seems country people for the majority have forgotten how to cook and eat properly

and very few people grow their own fruit n veg

Edited by Rev

Best of luck cob, and keep an eye out for interesting culinary and medicinal herbs or combos we don't use here! Stay in touch if you can, and try not to cook any endangered species :blink:

I dunno, it seemed like back around the Sinny Olympics, I could get a decent feed just about anywhere I went, even Lismore, which had about four or five pretty decent restaurants for a rural town ( I didn't realise one or two were vego for the first three visits, they were so yummy- anyone else eat at Giorgio's? ).

Then suddenly everyone upped and left, I thought it was a local phenomenon til I went to Brisvegas and around QLD, and all the places I'd loved eating at were either stagnant or closed. Is it one-a them things that only I can see, or has anyone else noticed this change since the new millenium?