The Corroboree
findbuddha

Cheap pressure cookers in Brisbane

Little bit small but great price.

Any idea what pressure these get up to?

if you are looking for one in vic, try BigW.

Tramontina, 6lt, s/s18/10, max pressure=1.1kg/cm2(roughly 15.6psi), $79

Thats a bargain!

Last time I checked kmart in Brisbane it had one of similar size and price but only went up to 10psi.

the kmart down here had nothing special and after searching everywhere i went to the last place i thought would have a (cheap) s\s cooker, BigW. Although i did find alot of old hawkins pc's that would have done the job for cheap.

I found a ten quart one(hawkins) recently if anyone wants me to pick it up for them.

Edited by Passive backseat demon engine.

it might be a hit and miss affair but i got my pressure cooker from a small op shop for 50cents it had the original seal and cooking instructions, old ladies dont bottle thier own fruits anymore so they donate them to op shops.sweet old lady if she only knew what it would end up doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha

good luck you might even pick up glass jars from there or small tapered drinking glasses.

The majority of PC's wont go up to 15psi, so you should probably assume it doesnt until you can find out otherwsie.

I think there is a list of commonly available PC's that go up to the 15psi mark in one of my previous posts in the subject.. I can dig it up if its not.

The majority of PC's wont go up to 15psi, so you should probably assume it doesnt until you can find out otherwsie.

I know I say this all the time, but guys - you are really being finnicky with the 15psi thing. Some people have good success by boiling in an unpressurised pot. I prefer to use a PC, but mine is a dodgy opshop thing and I have no idea what pressure it reaches. I almost never have contams and when I do I can usually relate it to a dirty print or sloppy syringe making procedure.

Seriously, do a test - make up 10 grain jars in a 15psi PC and 10 in a non-15psi one. 'Inoculate' with sterile water. See what happens.

i have seen a twenty litre one on ebay 170 looks the bomb and kmart have a eletric one atm for $80

hehe holy gravedigger !

but yeah big-w has em for heaps cheap now

I almost posted the exact same thing as Therefore from my phone earlier this morning but was too lazy to write a reply without a keyboard.

I got the Presto 23qt from Ebay several weeks ago.. All up around $120 including postage.. I got mine 10 days after having ordered it, which is pretty good.

I love it so far and definitely see the advantage of having the extra size.

I think if you're going to fork out $80 or so for a cheap, small pressure cooker from Big W, you may as well just pay the extra $40 postage and get a Presto from Amazon.

I have seen them locally, but they're actually more expensive (around $160), so ordering from Amazon still seems the best way to go.

I've only used my pressure cooker a couple of times. I've only done one grow -- so used it once to sterilise water, syringe, etc, then once again for sterilising some half pint jars.

But, again, I love this pressure cooker so far. It's great value without having to spent $300+ for an All American (although if you've got the money to spend...)

The only con I can think of is the rack it comes with doesn't really do much to raise items off the base of the cooker, although this is probably normal. Everyone stresses

the importance of keeping your jars out of the water so their moisture content isn't ruined, so what I did was buy a heap of aluminium egg rings from the

supermarket (around $2.50 or so for a pack of 3) and put 2 layers of them on the bottom before sitting the rack on top. This allows for the inch of water required in the bottom, without submerging

the jars and worrying about water splashing up and into your jars.. Or, if you have spare jar lids -- just use those (I didn't at the time).

Cheers.

EDIT: You're looking at around $200 for a 21.5 Qt All American.. which isn't too bad, I suppose, but you then need to factor in around $40 or so postage:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=all+american

As long as the Presto gets to 15psi (it does), I don't see why you'd fork out $200.. You may need to replace the seal on the Presto (about $10), whereas the All American doesn't have seals.

Having said that, I've come across people online who have been using the same seal for years with their Presto cooker -- the trick is to keep it clean and well-greased with a bit

of vegetable oil, apparently.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 1

Spend the money and get a good quality big one the first time.

After PCing for a whole day with a small PC you will want an upgrade!!!

Even if your PC only gets up to 10psi you just have to leave it on a bit longer.

• Like 1

eBay pressure cookers...there's a bid for $1 starting offer that ends in 2 days lol.

Love my presto has never let me down through hours and hours of use, still considering also picking up an All American.

Edited by waterboy

I have an All American 921 and I don't know how people could use anything below this size. It'd take you forever to sterilise decent amounts of grain. I even want a bigger one. Amazon is definitely the way to go.

• Like 1

thanks im going to go get the one off amazon lol i was just about to go to kmart and buy one

target has them for 64 bucks and its a eletric one 6 litres i reckon its a bargan

its ideal for sterilizing small batches

I love my 23quart presto that I got on Amazon. The gauge is nice feature. It lets you about how much longer you have until it time to recheck and start the timer. They say it fits 7 quart jar, buy actuallty you lay another three on there sides above the first seven.

My gasket lated a year before I had to replace it.