The Corroboree
sunny

Fungimentary: The Magic Mushrooms of Balingup

Just checked my copy of "Magic Mushrooms Around the World" by Jochen Gartz, and he says that Blue Meanies are Panaeolus cyanescens. I had forgotten about that particular reference.

he also points out that both Cubesnsis and Subs are referred to as Gold Tops.

Cheers, Obtuse.

Edited by obtuse

i still got a sticker bout the fugimentary doco on a table with my turntables on from 96 ,my mate was a printer it says fungimentary producers vintage as if it where a wine bottle label lol

Wasnt overly impressed with the film to be honest although I feel sorry for our WA friends where police actually attempt to pick on shroom pickers while in other states they couldnt give a toss.

the mycologist in the doco pronounces subaeruginosa incorrectly. There isnt a 'j' sound in latin.

the mycologist in the doco pronounces subaeruginosa incorrectly. There isnt a 'j' sound in latin.

So you pronounce the 'g', as in "rug', ( like persian RUG) ?

I thought it was pretty amateur at the time but compared to that aya piece that was on dateline recently it's pure gold.

I've still got the last 15mins on a tape.

Sue Taylor was the executive producer.

Two guys, Russell & Paul, were the other "producers" who ended up taking it to Sue to clean up. One of their bro's - Simon, does the music/guitar work at the end.

is this the one where they say "there are bold mushroom pickers and there are old mushroom pickers, but there are no old bold mushroom pickers"

i think i remember seeing that on sbs like 10 years ago

Yes it is.

It's an interesting and funny indi doco. Don't know why anyone would knock it..

Those who have hunted Balingup and had to avoid the cops will find it more interesting. It is just as much about the politics of a small town dealing with an influx of bogans, morons and some good people of course, picking (and some eating/driving/littering/leaving cattle gates open etc) at the same time) as it is about subs. The cops do a great job of making themselves look stoopid too.

It's very unique, in that only in the hyper-nanny-state of WA could this sort of situation arise in the first place...

Yes it is.

It's an interesting and funny indi doco. Don't know why anyone would knock it..

Those who have hunted Balingup and had to avoid the cops will find it more interesting. It is just as much about the politics of a small town dealing with an influx of bogans, morons and some good people of course, picking (and some eating/driving/littering/leaving cattle gates open etc) at the same time) as it is about subs. The cops do a great job of making themselves look stoopid too.

It's very unique, in that only in the hyper-nanny-state of WA could this sort of situation arise in the first place...

a friend of a mates cuz,once told me he was pulled over by the police way back in 1996,they were police from Bunbury whos job it was to stake out a particular area each dawn for pickers.on discovery of mushrooms in the car,they were told they had the wrong ones and then advised that if they were seen in ballingup again they would be thrown in jail,lol,did the police know what they were looking themselves,in terms of mushroom id or just could they just not be bothered with the paper work.they are very onto pickers and the season in wa,it has even been broadcast on the news that people were caught and the season was on.as its a rather small place these mushrooms grow in wa ,their job isnt to hard as to where to look for potential clients and with the ,major lack of rain in wa,s south west the area is even smaller.will be interesting what this year turns up.prob very little!!!

Has anyone got a copy of this docco that they wanna copy for me??? Or know of where they sell it in WA?

I co produced this film - it is now available on u-tube in 4 parts (HD) under u-tube user'FUNGIMENTARY'. Hope this reply isn't too late!

PS: An Israeli put a Hebrew subtitled copy in 5 parts but the 4 part version is far better to watch unless u need the Hebrew!

Cheers

• Like 2

I got it from YouTube before and the quality wasn't the best good to see there's a HD version up now it's an interesting doco

I'd love to see a newer one made

I have a camera capable of shooting high def video haha :)

was just checking out this new HD version on youtube turns out part 3 and 4 arent HD

the highest res is only 480p

did you upload this to youtube FUNGIMENTARY1

if so any chance you could reupload part 3 and 4 in 720p

the 720p version looks so much nicer

• Like 1