The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Cptn Insane'O

Keeping platypus as pets??

HA HA! JUST KIDDING!!! :P Made you laugh hey!?!? -Tasted alright on the barbie too... HEY THERE I GO AGAIN!!! Man I crack me up :bootyshake:

Jesus man.

You were so close to getting me to disclose my secret, illegal platypus breeding ring too.

PS. Anyone want O. anatinus? Trade or cash accepted.

Does anyone know where I could get a pet magpie from? I wanna teach one to talk (apparently you can) and train it to swoop my enemies and peck their eyes out :devil:

This is a serious question ('cept for the last remark), I've always thought they were really smart and majestic... I've gotten friendly with some of the local ones by feeding them, but none of them wants to give me a baby or become my pet.

In NSW this is illegal. I looked into getting a crow sometime ago and found that the licensing laws make it practically impossible.

This could be different (but I doubt it) in WA. Have a look online at wildlife licensing for your state.

From memory the basic gist was that:

- National Parks has 3 lists of birds you may keep.

- List one requires no license (eg. budgie)

- List two requires a license which anyone over 16 can pay for and obtain (eg. red-browed finch)

- List three requires you to have held a base license for a specified time to demonstrate your capability for keeping the animals (can't think of an example).

- If a native bird doesn't appear on the list you may apply for it to be added. You must present the authorities with guidelines for the keeping of the species in captivity.

The only way to satisfy these requirements I think is to carry out funded, peer-reviewed research into methods of aviculture for species X. And you're going to have to go through National Parks to do that anyway... Just imagine going to Nat. Parks with a proposal, asking permission to collect wild birds for research into how to keep them in captivity for the avicultural market...

And, if by some bureaucratic miracle you succeed, the species gets plopped onto list 3 for some years.

Silly, I think. I'm allowed to breed hundreds of fucking pigeons but don't ask for a currawong (which are a native pest in urban areas anyway).

might as well feed the Scabby 'Sacred' ibis (tropical seagulls)

im here wishing i could get a small fire arms licence to shoot currawongs and magpies

and you fellas are feeding the bloody things and wanting them as pets :ana:

reminds me a of a fucked up wildlife sanctuary in perh that rescued and reared then re-released 42 fucking magpies. The horrors on the local ecology inflicted by a blitz of predators :( and the needless suferring of the birds as some starve or get attacked by established colonies

they should have just euthanased them and used all those resources to help only threatened species or secure vital habitat

seriously

please explore less environmentally damaging pets/ animal rearing

like insectivorous reptiles, birds, snakes and bats

go get a pet python (captive bred)

or rehabilitate fruit bats

or raise birdwing butterflies

or frogs

anything but meat eating/weed birds (ok i make exception for raptors but just try and get a licence to keep them..:D)

Edited by Rev

might as well feed the Scabby 'Sacred' ibis (tropical seagulls)

im here wishing i could get a small fire arms licence to shoot currawongs and magpies

and you fellas are feeding the bloody things and wanting them as pets :ana:

reminds me a of a fucked up wildlife sanctuary in perh that rescued and reared then re-released 42 fucking magpies. The horrors on the local ecology inflicted by a blitz of predators :( and the needless suferring of the birds as some starve or get attacked by established colonies

they should have just euthanased them and used all those resources to help only threatened species or secure vital habitat

seriously

please explore less environmentally damaging pets/ animal rearing

like insectivorous reptiles, birds, snakes and bats

go get a pet python (captive bred)

or rehabilitate fruit bats

or raise birdwing butterflies

or frogs

anything but meat eating/weed birds (ok i make exception for raptors but just try and get a licence to keep them..:D)

Hey REV, Wasn't Native animal and bird hospital was it? Run by sue and keith smith(NO longer running after 20 years)

Magpies are native(ie, They have more rite to EVERYTHING than we have to ANYTHING), Since it was us(humans) that caused their probs, maybe we have a responsibility to help them back, even if it is just 1 pointless bird/animal at a time (and yes I know it is essentially pointless)

Also, releasing them as a flock is the only way to ensure their survival. If u release them 1 at a time like my Pet magpies, they get attacked constantly by the local group or 3 groups in my case as u said, thats why they released all of them at once. The strongest will survive. And evolution can go by it's merry way. I actually think I speak magpie, cause I have to go and be the head of the group and chase off rival magpies groups several times a day. If they did not have my protection, birds released singularly or in 2-3 will get run out or just flat out killed by the other magpies. They even kill and run out there own young males when they get too old. I tried to save him too, but failed. I currently want to shoot the crows here, but thats just cause they r fuckin annoying and thats my prob, and I have no rite to kill them.

If u want to keep 1 in W.A. u will have to be a registered wildlife carer, do a moronic C.A.L.M. course and get a liscence and care for any sick and injured wildlife u wish.

keeping a snake/reptile in W.A. is just now poss, but too expensive for most and the reptile prices r extortionat. But u can care for sick/injured/perm disabled ones if ur a reg16 wildlife carer, but with alot of hassel.

Most of our bats in Oz are insectivourous and require highly specialized care, even zoo's find it hard.

Fruit bats r by far a bigger pest than magpies ever will(destroy $90000 crop of rare trop fruit in 1 night) but they were here first and we just have to suck it up! And we don't get them in W.A. anywayz.

Frogs r the smae boat as reptiles and even I put them in the too hard basket. Just enjoy the wild ones.

Butterflies I can prob get u crystalists(ready to hatch) of several rare trop butterflies(including birdwing) and sum common ones

I can get several species of australian turantula, my friends, friends one is now at 7th or 8th instar and 10inches accross. Breeder! Scorpions of several species too. If I can get into contact with him still.

Cockies and parrots r the easiest to get and keep, but don't put a cocky that can easily outlive u in a 600mmx600mm cockie cage (C.A.L.M. minimum!) i care for A 50+ YO sam red-tail that lives with me. And even he could easily outlive me. Cockies r sumthing ur gona have to pass down through the family, poss over several human generations, I think the oldest recorded is 120+yo

I personally love magpies and have another pet one that needs to go out and live in the real world soon/now/months ago, but I'm just over cautious after my last one, surviving all the tests mothernature could throw at him, I found dead, still warm and only 30 min after I had fed him, run over by a car out he front of my property.

R.I.P. Maggie

th_78572_DSC02382.JPG

So I Guess I got a bit of a soft spot for magpies, didn't think much of them either till one decided I was gona be it's flock member.

If u get a carer liscense, I'll b sure to send u the next baby magpie I get in, but they don't really learn to talk, sort of mutter really, they will mimic ur whistel and calls/sounds, u can hear them trying, but they just can't quite get the talking down. Crows though can be tought to talk wonderfully and even better than an african grey parrot.

Sorry for the rant, but it's very, VERY close to my heart! :wub:

I love all creatures, great and small, creapy and crawly, cuddly and cute.

Oh and I can give u documents,info and get u into contact with people who have experience in the successfully keeping platypui.(lol, fuck I'm a nerd) :blush:

A few more random pics

th_79472_DSC02500.JPGth_79478_DSC02505.JPGth_79489_DSC02521.JPGth_79494_DSC02522.JPG

th_79502_DSC02523.JPG

Edited by naja naja

Afew more pics

th_79994_DSC02531.JPGth_80000_DSC02536.JPGth_80006_DSC02104.JPGth_80012_DSC02082.JPGth_80018_DSC01264.JPG

th_80540_DSC01123.JPGth_80546_DSC01116.JPGth_80555_DSC00739.JPGth_80562_DSC00652.JPG

Edited by naja naja

A friend of mine had a blind Boobook Owl they had cared for for over 10 years (fed 1 mouse/day). So I went along to a wildlife carers course ( for injured animals) to find out if I could do the same. The next ten Boobooks were already spoken for by only five people who had at least half a dozen owls and/or other raptors each already. So I showed them the fist. The politics in that place made my head spin. But there were plenty of magpies etc available. It's probably a very good option if you're not after a raptor. Or if you want something like a wallaby or glider. If they can't be released you get to keep! So...anyone run over a Platypus lately? TAXI!!!

You know they shoot Magpies and other feathered friends nearly every day around Airports to stop them getting sucked into jet engines and bringing an early end to people's fat arse business holiday trip. This is done to save your butt so you can go on polluting the environment in your merry way.

This is a DAILY TRAGEDY which I have been unfortunately witness of and THEREBY instruct all beings to plan your next TRIP the way we like @sab. DO IT for the environments sake!

If you don't I will personly send you a flock of baby Galahs, which make the most irratating and annoying sound on this planet. They will not stop doing so until you SELF DESTRUCT...

Woah! Where did those two last posts come from. Naja you picked me at the post. I didn't mean to say all those bad things about wildlife carers. Nice work with the terrestrials. Is that Epiphyllum oxypetalum, I'm growing it too. And Holy crap! get those 'Shrimp' on the barbie mate! I'm not kidding!!!

Funny, considering falconary is illegal in Oz.

You'll prob find that it's because you need the facilities to properly care and rehabilitate and raptor, they r supreme hunters and cannot go back into the wild in any condition other than 100%! U need experience, although a boobook is exactly what I'd recommend for that experience. U want 1 of those, u got it! :P

Edited by naja naja

Crow's are amazing birds! When I was 10 I took a crow home that had a broken wing. He stayed with me for the next 7 years :)

They are quite large intimidating birds up close and he used to scare the shit out of me mates. Also VERY inteligent and really seemed to enjoy my company as he would always sit on my shoulder when ever I was outside.

His main diet was mince but my mother used to bring home from work "Murdoch Uni" these boxes of mixed grubs, wierd fruit pieces and grains (i even found dead baby mice in the mix on occasions), she picked the stuff up from the Vet Dept & he used to love the stuff :)

Hey Naja Naja those marron look like nice pets but they also look so Mmmmmmmmmm ;) My favorite dish if cooked just right :)

Maybe in Fucking REDNECK Australia where we r. But in sum more enlightened counties they use Perigrine or hybrid falcons to do the same job. It's ecologically sound and way more effective than a gun. Even if there happened to be a bird(usually feral pigeons) in the area, they won't take flight while there is a predator in the air. It's way more effective than a gun!

So u make the choice, bird or gun.

The U.S. airforce uses these of there carriers and airports to prevent exactly what u describe, cause a jumbo can handle a whole flock and not stutter, but a small jet is a bit more sensitive

Edited by naja naja

Cool, What's up with your Mokepoke anyway? (What we'd call boobooks as kids)

Edited by crazyman

Boobook prob back in da wild now, or dead, 1 of the 2.

Crow's are amazing birds! When I was 10 I took a crow home that had a broken wing. He stayed with me for the next 7 years :)

They are quite large intimidating birds up close and he used to scare the shit out of me mates. Also VERY inteligent and really seemed to enjoy my company as he would always sit on my shoulder when ever I was outside.

His main diet was mince but my mother used to bring home from work "Murdoch Uni" these boxes of mixed grubs, wierd fruit pieces and grains (i even found dead baby mice in the mix on occasions), she picked the stuff up from the Vet Dept & he used to love the stuff :)

Hey Naja Naja those marron look like nice pets but they also look so Mmmmmmmmmm ;) My favorite dish if cooked just right :)

:lol: Pets............th_83282_DSC02074.JPG th_83288_DSC02075.JPG

And I know it's a bit throwing, with that frog in there, that makes u think brommeliad. But it's a Dracanea tricolour, rainbow tree.

Edited by naja naja

And I just realized: For SAFETY REASONS: I should mention that those snakes pictures are highly venomous, hense the lack of hands in the photo's.

First 2 are dugites, next 3 are an OBVIOUS tiger snake and the other is a dugite. Both have sum of the fullest venom sacks I've ever come accross. See the bulge where their ears would be(if snakes had ears) They are stone deaf people, just incase u didn't know.

And I'm sure u all know, but just incase u don't. The male platypus also has poison spurs on it's hind legs. So don't go picking them up carelessly

Edited by naja naja

my best friend when i grew up had pet magpies that he rescued with injuries and he coudl mimic thier call exactly and they would come to him. we would go on bike rides and the maggies would sit on his handle bars was cool

i love magpies and crows.

i also love australias parrots as well

where i grew up in country WA the farmers hate the local parrot called a 28, becuase they eat thier wheat crops but i have always thought, fuck you farmer, you try to run them over with thier trucks and shoot them when all they do is try and survive. it is not thier fault they grow such yummy food, they like to eat too.

same with farmers shooting all sorts of wildlike cause it doesnt fit into thier way of farming

ahh well such is life i spose just saddens me to see splattered animals by the side of the road

:(:(:(

we would go on bike rides and the maggies would sit on his handle bars was cool

wow, that is amazing.

sorry, I dont have any cool animal stories to add :(

weird timing with this thread. apologies for the content if it offends, it was a weird coincedence being a magpie.

Late this afternoon there was a amazingly muscular bird clamped to a dead tree limb about 12 ft from the ground, with a decent sized magpie under one foot. Turned out to be a Brown goshawk, a really nice slate grey back, it continued to feed for about 10 minutes digging into the magpies stomach, sporadically spitting out it's feathers. Then it dropped the carcass (don't know if it was on purpose), fed from the remains on the branch and flew off.

Fascinating stuff, these muscles of these birds are mind blowing, such sleek animals.

Can't express the feelings of seeing this, i've got a huge admiration for large birds of prey, as well as being the first goshawk i've seen in the wild, great stuff, first sighting i've had, have been in the area about 10 years.

Have some really shitty pictures, i'll try and brighten one to post.

Find some great birds in this one tree throughout the year, Tawny Frogmouths (larger southern race), the goshawk, king parrots, gang gang cockatoos, yellow tail black cockatoo and lots of other pretty common parrots etc.

Saw a bandicoot, Barn owl and eastern forest roo on the way home tonight - all alive

plus 2 foxes, and 2 roos - roadkill

on a 100 km drive

roadkill isnt all bad

sometimes a i see wedgetails on the back roads feeding on carrion

and dingos - real ones

as well as wild dogs (dingoX or just feral dog)

I though marron were unique till i pulled redclaw from lake tinaroo

almost identical in appearance and flavour - excpet redclad are red-black and teh males have big claws with a red spot

and marron are brown-black,blue-black or electric blue and have narrower pincers

good shit

somewhere i have a pic of a marron with a body the length and diamater of an EB can

BTW its true fruitbats can destroy un-netted fruit crops but when a fruit bad 'destroys' its prey its actually helping it by dispersing seeds

if i want some rainforest trees i just need to put a crate of soil under a bat roost and then water it

up they come

if i do the same thing under where currawongs hang out i get only camphor laurel :(

Edited by Rev

Isn't camfor laural great for safrole or sumthin like that?

Magpie getting eaten by a natural preditor is all good. I lost a nice rosella to a carpet python, but really didn't care cause it was just nature. Whereas if it had been a feral cat, I would've been on the hunt.

k.

Edited by naja naja

naja - is that snake deadly? :devil: I met someone that I don't like somuch, but I would like to give him a peace offering pet! :devil:

What a great read! thanks guys, love animal stories.

I've always had a thing for corvines, parrots and raptors....in large part its their intelligence that appeals to me, also their canny nature and personality. And they are so beautiful too, especially the indelible blackness of a raven.

Is'nt it true that what we often refer to as crows, in Oz, are actually ravens? I don't know.

because of the drought we've been getting alot of corellas, sulfur-crested and yellow-tail black cockatoos in Sydney, especially around Centennial park where they go to feed on grass seed...I can't remember ever seeing such large flocks of black cockatoos...dozens of birds, and their call, that plaintive eerie call, love it.

Some people get the shits with sulfur crested...sure, they make alot of noise and destroy trees and houses chewing away at everything...but their personalities...they've always struck me as having a well developed sense of humour and playfulness...clowning around in the trees the way they do.

Just like my Nan used to say...'you kids are acting like a flock of galahs'...not quite as fond of galahs, but nice to see a few major mitchells when you're not expecting it.

We're pretty deprived in the city...even a wattle or friar bird gets me excited :rolleyes:

I too have coveted a corvine as a pet, and figure if one comes my way, then it comes my way. But I could never keep a bird in a cage.

Myna birds (not the 'Indian' variety!) but the native grey ones, apparently make great pets, and I've been told that they can learn to 'talk'...I thought this was true only of the pesty ones, bastards...but the grey ones amuse with their territorialism...taking on much bigger birds, especially maggies and ravens.

And who doesn't like the cute and furries (well, kiwis aren't too fond of brush tails), but I dig possums and quolls, and have heard the latter make great a alternative pet for cat-lovers. I know a couple that sleep with their pet wombat, its like a dog, only with a nastier bite.

When i lived out your way Rev, I loved the wedgies...heaps of them, circling vulture-like...and again, their call...haunting.

Their ability to locate and capture prey from such great heights never ceases to amaze and impress me.

And the dogs/dingos/half breeds...I heard them plenty of times, but never got a good look. We used to call them in, mimicking their howls...they'd come closer, and closer, but at a certain point they could obviously tell we were'nt another pack...and they'd back off.

The quendas (eastern barred bandicoots) were also pretty cool.

they made themselves at home at our place, a tipi at the base of Pokupars knoll....licking out our cooking pots, helping themselves to food...which was fair enough. They were there first.

One night we'd partaken of some local fungi, and inadvertantly wandered off the track on our way home. We ended up bush bashing through a patch of tangled scrub like a herd of deranged elephants before getting back to camp.

A few minutes later, after getting the fire going, we heard something approach the tipi, make a vicious grunting sound, then scurry away lickety split...we'd never heard anything like it before.

After a minute or so, there were another couple of loud, aggressive grunts followed by scurrying and soft chatter in the surrounding scrub. This happened repeatedly for the next few minutes, so we checked it out.

It was the quendas...who seemed to be taking turns to come and grunt at the door, then scamper back into the scrub from which we had just bush bashed. It occurred to us that they were voicing their discontent at our trampling through what was probably their home.

They'd never grunted at us before, just helped themselves to food, snuffled around and even eaten out of our hands...but this time they were definately pissed off, and were giving us a serve for our psilly thoughtlessness.

Thereafter, we were more careful about where we trod.

Anyhoo, what do you think is the scariest noise in the bush?

Foxes make soem pretty freaky sounds...but one night we heard something that curdled the blood.

Leaving a mates place in the pitch black, up a long trail and off our scones, from behind we heard what can only be described as demonic...this rasping, exorcist-like, gurgling, gutteral screeching from hell.

Scared the shit out of us...didn't sound like any animal I'd ever heard before....was it some kind of vengeful bush spirit, a deranged axe-wielding maniac, a bunyip?

Turns out it was a koala...holy crap, never would have picked it.