The Corroboree
bit

Need help with cacti transportation *SOLVED!

I need help transporting a large (1.5m) cactus from Mt Wellington to Manukau heights - only about 10km but too far to walk!. It must be trasported standing up.

There is a box of beer in it for the helping hand..

This is the beast here:

22055704_full.jpg

Edited by bit

i saw that one when i went in the other day heh. You should just lie it down in your boot and prop it up with some bags, works no problem. You'd have to brace the top somehow i guess if you wanted to transport it upright, just doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah with the right support it will work on its side and not a spine needs to become out of place.

So what do you think it is? It's going berzerk.

I've never seen any Trichocereus branch off the stem so young.

I have a Trich seedling that when it was no bigger than 2inches threw off a pup and a pedro that threw off 4 pups when it was no bigger than 30cm..

Looks very brigesoid to me, need to zoom in for a better look though..

Nice score though...and a good deal for transport, altough you might have better luck if you cooked them lunch :wink:

that is a mighty specimen, looks very happy.

if you dont mind me asking, what is a trich that size worth? must of cost an arm and a leg!

Ok, first of all here is the big guy and how I managed to get him home: He measures almost exactly 5 foot.

Alice - at NZ$35, this guy could be the bargain of the century. The nursery was horrified at the price their auction got to!

I'm more than stoked, I'm over the flippin moon!

Picture001_lo.jpg

Picture002_lo.jpg.

Safely installed on my deck:

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

Closeup showing young and old spines:

IMG_2870.jpg

love that 1st photo bit, sticking its head out the sunroof,

very cool B)

35 bucks, what a score!

looks so healthy too :)

congrats dude!

So what do you think it is? It's going berzerk.

I've never seen any Trichocereus branch off the stem so young.

I'm not 100% sure what it is. Best guesses are a peruvian/bridgesoid hybrid. I'd like to think it's macrogonus though.

I'm also curious as to why it's branched so much - can this be induced? It doesn't look to have suffered any trauma - it's blemish free...

I can't stop wandering onto the deck to look at it :)

branching can be induced by removing the growth tip. as we know.

but, apparently a trick used by some cacti growers is to use a drill to bore out the growth tip, then plug it with wax or something to prevent water getting in. that way the cacti thinks the top has been cut off, and unless you look closely, you cant tell that the cacti has been tampered with.

a neat trick, i'm yet to try it out myself tho.

but as you say, its blemish free...

hmm. :unsure:

Bit, I do not think you know how wrong your truck photos look to someone used to American seating.

:o

Congradulations, it's a real beauty, I love the colour of it.

I'm also curious as to why it's branched so much

I think you've just scored yourself an extremely vigorous clone, I bet it's a really fast grower as well.

There's so many nice clones floating around NZ. So near yet so far. :rolleyes:

Great cactus bit, any plans/space to put it in the ground. Could be quite a monster in five years time!

Thanks for the comments everyone. The real thanks should go to Corromandel Cacti for growing such an awesome plant! If you're ever looking for cacti and succulents/tropicals in NZ, definitely look them up - their nursery is incredible!

but, apparently a trick used by some cacti growers is to use a drill to bore out the growth tip, then plug it with wax or something to prevent water getting in. that way the cacti thinks the top has been cut off, and unless you look closely, you cant tell that the cacti has been tampered with.

I haven't had a real close look at the main tip (it's taller than I am in it's pot), perhaps that's what they have done.

Bit, I do not think you know how wrong your truck photos look to someone used to American seating.

Hahahahaha .. true I hadn't thought about that :)

Great cactus bit, any plans/space to put it in the ground. Could be quite a monster in five years time!

Unfortunately we're only renting the place we live in at the moment, and it's a daunting thought to think about digging it up if we move in a few years tiime! If it was just a single tall branch then I'd consider it. My collection is at capacity (deck space heh), so some of the 2-3 foot cacti will find their way into the ground this spring, to make room for more purchases and pot size upgrades as necessary.

I noticed in my collection that at the end of summer, all the cacti in small pots threw off multiple (>2) pups, all from the base though... maybe it is trying to 'escape' its small pot, so to speak?

Edited by oxydiser

could it perhaps be a Macrogonus/Bridgesii hybrid? Seems to have bridgesii types spikes, but macrogonus length of spikes and macrogonus colouring of flesh and size of ribs. Sitting in that pot there it's a wonderful piece of Cacti pron!!!

Edited by SaBReT00tH