The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

Clitoria ternatea

Sitting bored on Ebay looking for plants I decided to look up "Clitoria" because it appears in the lyrics of one of my most favourite Tori Amos songs, "Datura".

It's a beautiful vine with a very definite aspect of feminine sexuality about it in not only name. Check the photos of the flowers in some of these links.

I found some seed lots of 30 for only $3 and decided to research further. I was most happy to find that on Wikipedia lay links to two papers claiming CNS activity from extracts in rats.

Does anyone know much about this one? I'll post more as I find it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originating from the Indonesian Island of Ternate

These will bloom all year long in frost free zones or inside as an exotic vining houseplant.

Technically a tropical perennial flowering plant, they are also easily grown annuals in more northern areas and will quickly bloom from seed in about 6-8 weeks.

They prefer full sun to light shade, are very drought tolerant and are well-adapted to a variety of soil types.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Clitoria-Vine-NEW-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clitoria ternatea and the CNS

by

Jain NN, Ohal CC, Shroff SK, Bhutada RH,

Somani RS, Kasture VS, Kasture SB.

Natural Products Laboratory,

M.V.P. Samaj's College of Pharmacy,

422 002, Nashik, India

Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2003 Jun;75(3):529-36

The present investigation was aimed at determining the spectrum of activity of the methanolic extract of Clitoria ternatea (CT) on the CNS. The CT was studied for its effect on cognitive behavior, anxiety, depression, stress and convulsions induced by pentylenetetrazol (PTZ) and maximum electroshock (MES). To explain these effects, the effect of CT was also studied on behavior mediated by dopamine (DA), noradrenaline, serotonin and acetylcholine...

... The extract exhibited tendency to reduce the intensity of behavior mediated via serotonin and acetylcholine. The effect on DA- and noradrenaline-mediated behavior was not significant. In conclusion, the extract was found to possess nootropic, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anticonvulsant and antistress activity. Further studies are necessary to isolate the active principle responsible for the activities and to understand its mode of action.

"This flower is very popular with Nonya (a culture of people from intermarriage of Chinese and Malays living in Singapore and Malaysia) as a natural (blue)food colouring often used in their kuehs (traditional rice cakes)and jelly. A few flowers are boiled in a little water to extract the colour."

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/528/index.html

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week043.shtml

"In animal tests the methanolic extract of Clitoria ternatea (Butterfly pea) roots demonstrated nootropic, anxiolytic, antidepressant, anticonvulsant and antistress activity. The active constituent(s) responsable for these effects have yet to be isolated.

Clitoria ternatea roots are used in the ayurveda system of indian medicine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria

"The seed pods are edible."

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/Clitoria.htm

clitoriateratea.pdf

clitoriateratea.pdf

clitoriateratea.pdf

I have seen it growing as a weed up in FNQ. Is not declared or a supposable high risk, but still to take note of.

I was most happy to find that on Wikipedia lay links to two papers claiming CNS activity from extracts in rats.

:D

I wrote most of that page and put those refs in there when I was researching it (sometimes when I research new plants I toss info into wiki so I wont loose it :wink: ), its basically all the solid info I've found- when looking into the ayurvedic uses I found a fair bit of muddled info and ended up not sure if they were even talking about the same plant :wacko:

I'm trying to grow it out too, from old seed harvested in sierra leone

Sounds like you need to get some! :wink:

of the top of my head, some ayurvedic texts seem to refer to clitoria as shankhapushpi ("conch flower") while most mean evolvulus alsiniodes

lends a beautiful color to food .. a malaysian friend told me you need hundreds of flowers for one big batch of 'kueh' (tasty cakes :P ) .. pankaj oudhia relates some folk usage of clitoria.. i think maybe it's not really used in ayurveda all that much ??

I have summarized the following article fom various local sources here:

Kembang Teleng, Indonesian Traditional Eyedrop Medicine

In most Javanese village areas of indonesia, it has become a tradition for the native people to treat their new-born-baby's eyes (who have just opened their reddish and cloudy eyes) with some blue coloured liquid. This traditional eyedrop is made of blue flower called "kembang teleng" (kembang, in javanese language means flower).

Kembang teleng (Clitoria ternatea l) is frequently found climbing along fences in villagers' houses. The beautiful blue flowers look very much in contrast with the surrounding green leaves. This plant belongs to the Papilionaceae (Leguminosae) family or peas family. In Java, this plant is mostly suited to those areas located from sea level up to about 700m elevation.

Just like peas, the leaves are made of odd number of leaflets, usually 5 or 7, each growing up to 10 cm long. The flowers resemble peas and are solitary or in pairs, bright deep blue (also found in violet or - rarely - white colour) with a yellow blotch in the centre.

Active chemical constituents include saponin, flavonoid, alkaloid, ca-oksalat, and sulfur. In particular, the leaf contains of kaemferol 3-glucoside, and triterpenoid. The solution from the leaves help in ripening skin boils. The flower contains delphinidin 3,3',5', triglucoside, and fenol. And the whole roots contain somewhat toxic chemicals with laxative, diuretic, emetic, and blood-purifying properties. The seed is useful as a traditional cure against parasitic worms and as a mild laxative.

To treat reddish eyes due to inflammation, pick 4 flowers and soak overnight in a cup of warm water and close tight. The next morning, the water will turn blue. Use the infusion to wash your eyes several times a day. Your eyes will be clean and look somewhat bluish afterwards. NOTE: You can also use Piper betle leaf infusion to clean your eyes but it will cause a stinging pain or discomfort to your eyes.

Infusion of the root in warm water can get rid of unwanted phlegm in chronic bronchitis, lessen fever, as well as treat irritation on urethra. Alcohol extracts from the roots may treat swelling on stomach organs.

Before artificial food colouring was available, the flowers were picked, dried and boiled to extract a blue colouring agent which was used in cakes made of grated tapioca, rice or glutinous rice flour. Other than colouring food, this flower was also used in the laundry. Washerwomen added two or three fresh flowers to the last rinse of their washing to brighten white fabric. The leaves are widely used as a nutritive multipurpose forage preferred by livestock over other legumes due to their palatability.

Edited by -bijanto-

i think i saw this one growing in the wild in my area,

i will try to collect seeds.

funny, i thought it might be usefull.

I ordered extra seeds when I bought some recently.

I'll give away 3 lots of 10 seeds to those who might be interested in growing this li'l puppy. Just PM me.

I think I'll wait till spring to sow my seeds though. Wise move or not? Any ideas?

Sitting bored on Ebay looking for plants I decided to look up "Clitoria" because it appears in the lyrics of one of my most favourite Tori Amos songs, "Datura".

A while ago, I heard an interview on JJJ with Tori Amos where she said her favourite thing to do was take datura and go out in her speedboat :blink:. Does this song refer to that activity?

A while ago, I heard an interview on JJJ with Tori Amos where she said her favourite thing to do was take datura and go out in her speedboat :blink:. Does this song refer to that activity?

I didn't know that.

Actually, her penchant for datura might explain a few things :)

Who knows what she's going on about most of the time? But I love her nonetheless. :wub:

Here are the lyrics, interpret what you will. Perhaps she's making an ethnobotanical list?

"Mexican sage bush"??? :wink:

BEAUTIFUL song though.

"Datura"

Get out of my garden

Passsion vine

Texas sage

Indigo spires salvia

Conferderate jasmine

Royal cape plumbago

Arica palm

Pygmy date palm

Snow-on-the-mountain

Pink Powderpuff

Datura

Crinum lily

St. Christopher's lily

Silver dollar eucalytus

White african iris

Katie's cham ruella

Variegated shell finger

Florida coontie

Datura

Ming fern

Sword fern

Dianella

Walking iris

Chocolate cherries allamanda

Awabuki viburnum

Is there room in my heart

For you to follow your heart

And not need more blood

From the tip of your star

Is there room in my hear

For you to follow your heart

And not need more blood

From the tip of your star

Walking iris

Chocolate cherries allamanda

Awabuki viburnun

Natal plum

Black magic ti

Mexican bush sage

Gumbo limbo

Golden shrimp

Belize shrimp

Senna

Weeping sabicu

Golden shower tree

Golden trumpet tree

Bird of paradise

Come in

Variegated shell ginger

Datura

Lonicera

Red velvet costus

Xanadu philodendron

Snow queen hibiscus

Frangipani

Frangipani

Bleeding heart

Persian shield

Cat's whiskers

Royal palm

Sweet alyssum

Petting bamboo

Orange jasmine

Clitoria blue pea

Downy jasmine

Datura

Frangipani

Frangipani

Dividing Canaan

Piece by Piece

Here's a couple (crappy) pics of my Clitoria ternatea var. albiflora grown from seed. Now that they're in the ground, they're really starting to take off :) The seed pods are taking a long time to ripen, though, 'cuz they've yet to grow up into the better sun exposure.

post-3181-1191255637_thumb.jpg

post-3181-1191255664_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna have these cute little poon flowers all over my side fence :lol: It's childish, I know, but I'm going to love watching passers-by look at them and wonder it they're the ones with naughty minds for seeing the likeness...hehe.

FM

If there's anything more sexual than genitals or flowers it's flowers that look like genitals :lol: