The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mexicali

Lophophora x Astrophytum

The pic was very poor quality & raised more Q?'s then answers of which u can see mexicali never realy answered any.

Mexicali got booted, & rightly so. So I do'nt think ull get to see the pic unless u can work some nerdmagic in google archives or someone here saved the pic... actualy MS might have(pretty sure he likes collecting pics :P).

Well what do you know, I saved the picture. Here it is below.

~Michael~

post-19-1204464648_thumb.jpg

Edited by M S Smith

Hmm...

Umm...

So what is that thing supposed to be?

Is this thought to be a hoask? (sp.?)

Hmm...

Umm...

So what is that thing supposed to be?

Is that a trick question? judging by the title it surposed to be a Lophophora x Astrophytum....

Is this thought to be a hoask? (sp.?)

I think it is.

I think so too.

Who would take one shitty pic if they spend all that time breeding it?

If that is real it must be fairly old, it's pretty large....

I think it's a fake.

Edited by Teotz'

Maybe I am missing something but so far amongst all the Lopho hybrids being presented I have not yet encountered one that has known origin info.

Not that they don't have IDs assigned but *unless I am missing it* none of these say "Mr/Ms whosit crossed a Lopho with a xxxxxxx and got this"

What seems present instead is presentation of theory as to why it could work (was there suggestion gibberellic acid was actually employed in this cross?) and discussions of ID based on observable morphology.

Point of origin and actual hybridizer data would be greatly appreciated on any of these. The turbo mentioned earlier seems to have been wild collected amidst mysterious circumstances and seems to have some shakiness around it. If the plant pictured as a turbo hybrid is dead or dying its tissue could prove it a hybrid or a nonhybrid. DNA can be obtained even from dessicated tissues.

Lots of freaks arise in nature and even more in Japan.

More information on origin would be nice.

Or am I just missing this information?

I sure know and know of a lot of people trying to create lopho hybrids that have not succeeded at all despite some years of attempts (unlike many other crosses they do successfully make) Maybe someone has had success but there seems to be an odd gap in the data stream.

More information than speculation would be greatly appreciated.

I would not suggest that calling anything a hybrid would not help them to sail through the mail but that is another topic more focused on marketing than hybridizing.

I have encountered dried cactus tissues being mailed labelled variously as potpourrie, incense and dried artichoke leaves but I would suggest those names were attached for that purpose rather than really being the identity of the parcel.

Lots of freaks arise in nature and even more in Japan.

Not to make light of this semi-serious discussion, but I just had to note that I find this sentence absolutely delightful.

:lol:

....I've been reading over this thread for the past week and IM TOO FUCKING INTERESTED! It's so sexy!

I feel like it'd lean more towards a really mutated Loph, maybe even grown inside an astro shaped transparent case so that it takes an astro form :P hehe

Soooooo 6 years later, what are people thinking?

Also if Mexicali still exists, who is this Japanese person you got it off?

EDIT:

FOUND A BETTER PIC

post-12907-0-48736900-1399802831_thumb.j

post-12907-0-48736900-1399802831_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-48736900-1399802831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sabry

Do you have a link to the page the found it from? I am good with a language converter lol

No cross is impossible per se. But I still don´t believe it, because it comes across dodgy.

Here are the two options, which in my opinion are more likely.

1. Simple Fake. It really has a lot of wool and very long Hairs. The Wool looks fake to me.

Or

2. Just some kind of Lophophora Mutant, not an intergeneric hybrid, which is a very valid option.

Don´t you think if this plant would exist in Japan (which is not on another planet and has a pretty good ways to sell their stuff to us), it wouldn´t take longer than a year till it pops up on the market? Haven´t seen this hybrid being sold ANYWHERE.

And why aren´t people re-creating the cross and make lot´s of cash? Most likely because they tried and failed. I have tried the cross numerous times and it didn´t work. What doesn´t mean anything but i am pretty optimistic is very hard to cross.

But again, no cross is impossible so why not try it out yourself. Sometimes, amazing crosses happen by Accident so maybe your lucky.

Edited by Evil Genius

Definitely not a cross, just a retarded loph. From what I've gathered it's from "tanenaga yuusuke" nursery taken by the person who runs the site: http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~hama-jj/index.html
It's in Vol.2 of the nursery pictures.

It translates to:
"Midorikanmuri ball 12cm-

* It is a seedling Dumbo you. It is a seedling that is truly magical, charming the warts overhanging two places.
How many are there the width of the ear so probably is, or will be in the world?"

according to google translate

This is the page and I've asked a Japanese friend to translate but still waiting for a reply.

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~hama-jj/visit_2_37.html

• Like 1

I get too excited over this stuff..... but a thai nursery is selling this guy as

Rare!!!!! Ariocarpus L.williamsii Twin # astrophytum

and this, to me, looks more like what a loph x astro cross would look like..... thoughts?

post-12907-0-18048700-1400753092_thumb.jpost-12907-0-73966200-1400753099_thumb.jpost-12907-0-19840200-1400753103_thumb.jpost-12907-0-59743000-1400753107_thumb.jpost-12907-0-11352800-1400753112_thumb.jpost-12907-0-07314500-1400753117_thumb.j

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Ariocarpus-L-williamsii-Twin-astrophytum-/181417889820?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3d59501c

post-12907-0-18048700-1400753092_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-73966200-1400753099_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-19840200-1400753103_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-59743000-1400753107_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-11352800-1400753112_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-07314500-1400753117_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-18048700-1400753092_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-73966200-1400753099_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-19840200-1400753103_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-59743000-1400753107_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-11352800-1400753112_thumb.jpg

post-12907-0-07314500-1400753117_thumb.jpg

Looks kinda legit. If the Fur isn´t glued,this could really be what it is sold as.

• Like 2

hahahaha ahhh that would be quite funny fi someone got it and it was airbrushed and had fake fur....

but from what i've read (although i don't trust it really) it seems like if anything lophs can cross with A. asterias, and this has the fur placement of asterias

I want somebody to try and cross obregonia denegrii with l. williamsii.

Wow, I thought I was on a different thread when I posted this. Lol. I guess it fits though.

Edited by hostilis

Looks more like an ugly A. asterias v. kikko oobi or something similar, to me...what makes you think it might be crossed with loph? Tufts of wool aren't unheard of on asterias

i'd say its just some sort of freak astro

i wouldnt take to much from the williamsii in the name just like it also has ariocarpus there to

alot of ebay sellers put astrophytum ariocarpus and even williamsii in the names i assume its to get more hits when people are searching ebay

in saying that its an incredibly cool looking plant and i want one haha

and one of those other freaky lookin things to :)

I've bought from that seller tons of times. He is legit as hell. I have seen him put up williamsii that looked more like A. asterias, but he has them correclty labeleed 99% of the time. Nice healthy plants too. Most are grafts though except for his variegated astros, They're almost always own roots.

That one is definitely an asterias though. He lists so many plants that I think he sometimes thinks the loph looking astros are lophs. I saw him put a crested asterias up once as williamsii crest. But he lists tons of real williamsii crests so i don't think he's doing it on purpose.

Edited by hostilis

Yeah I did post without thinking and I do know a few peeps who have bought from him, all his other posts have astrophytum in the name just to have a better chance of being seen.

It does look like a really retarded asteria kikko but i kind of feel like there's a hint of loph somewhere, idk....

maybe just an overwatered asteria graft so it's more rounded....

haha i think i just really want to believe that there's a super cool loph cross out there :D

definitely going to be trying out crosses next season though!

According to this page: http://www.magicactus.com/lw_jourdaniana.html
"Lophophora Williamsii has been successfully fertilized by Ariocarpus Fissuratus, L.Diffusa, Mammillaria Bocasana, M.Zeilmanniana, Strombcactus Disciformis, Turbinicarpus Pseudomacrochele, Astrophytum Asterias, and Epithelantha Micromeris."

I kind of doubt it as this seems to be the only page stating Loph crosses with those other cacti (except for another site that also states fissuratus cross) but there's no harm in trying!

and defs trying a cross with obregonia as well. I know Kada got a single seed to germinate but it died (I think)

Edited by Sabry

I noticed in the auction it doesn't make any mention of it being a cross or a hybrid (actually doesn't make any reference to the plant at all!). I agree with hostilis, I think he listed it that way because there is a similarity.

gary%20TA.jpg

Edited by hookahhead
  • Like 1