The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

Woman's racist rant on train

So i moved the Thread in the Bitches forum. Again, NOT because it was a political Topic BUT because of the Arguments here. Totally think you guys should be able to discuss a hot Topic without ripping each other apart. We´re all adults and racism is all over the world. It´s a bad thing, but it´s not going away by hiding the Thread so i am not generally against posting controversial videos. If the Discussion wouldn´t have been so weird, it would most likely still be in the chill space. Chill space is not only for chill Topic, though i don´t want Threads that are just pure Hate. But that´s a whole other Story. I do not hide uncomfortable Threads but i want everyone to respect each other.

And again, i still don´t know why some people have blamed this on the general Tone of the Forum and what it has to do with the Posting Style of clickherex. IIt´s a whole other Story which has already been discussed in various Threads and Torsten already mentioned what he thinks about it. You don´t have to agree with it, but please respect his opinion.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 5

And again, i still don´t know why some people have blamed this on the general Tone of the Forum and what it has to do with the Posting Style of clickherex. IIt´s a whole other Story which has already been discussed in various Threads and Torsten already mentioned what he thinks about it. You don´t have to agree with it, but please respect his opinion.

i only mentioned clickherex as an example if you dont like a thread dont go there you know

some of the stories clickherex posts are great and im glad theyve been posted

im not against clickherex at all or his posting style i think its more annoying for me that the recent topics are always all his stories haha

so i have to try and find the other recent threads

i apolagize for my part in degenerating this thread i just thought it seemed odd that halcyon seemed to be getting attacked just for posting it

as others have stated to its a fair topic to come up i dont see why it shouldnt be here

thanks for clearing that up to EG i was also under the impression that the chill space was not just for "chill" topics but rather another forum for other things like this that dont have any relevance in other forums such as cacti or whatever

• Like 1

dude, this isn't reddit or fb. its not censored.

this place is freaking awesome in that respect. and respect it deserves.

Edited by C_T

This thread had degenerated badly. Thank you to those members who reported it and apologies for getting to it a bit late. I have now tidied it up and below are my comments and advice. I have hidden many posts which I felt were off topic - please let me know if I have hidden something that was important and on topic.

This is a valid topic. The chill space is not just for chilled out topics. It is a 'chill space' where members can talk about all sorts of stuff that doesn't fit into the other subforums. If you think only mellow topics are appropriate in a chill space then please never sit next to me at a festival as I am likely to walk away bored. While I certainly don't encourage members to post primarily in the chill space, they are free to do so. The only thing that made this thread worthy of the gripes subforum is the way it degenerated. While this is OK every now and then, the mods will becomes strict if it happens repeatedly or if there are certain members who are repeat offenders. Please take guidance from the mods and senior members if you are not sure of the purpose and etiquette of any aspect of this forum.

I had looked closer at the main players in this thread and found that all major rule breaches were by one member. Please be reminded that it is not acceptable to use real names unless the member gives permission; it is not acceptable to in any way incriminate other members; and it is not acceptable to stir up trouble especially if a member actually does not contribute to the ethnobotany aspect of this forum. If you are unsure about your posting history, this can be perused via your profile. As a result Santiago will receive a warn point and a 1 month suspension., and I have asked the mods to keep a close eye on him when he returns. I also suggest that those members affected by Santiago's indiscretions or those who have traded with him and are concerned about the abuse of private information make a note in his reputation thread to warn others.

I am glad to see so many members care passionately about the forum and the tone of it. Please note that I did not hide your posts because they were out of place at the time. They have however become out of place after I deleted the offensive posts. A sane person arguing with a troll often sounds inappropriate once you cut the troll out, and I didn't want the good people to look bad for standing up to the bullies.

Lets see how this thread goes from here.

• Like 9

Wow, sorry it got to that guys.

I must say I certainly didn't report Santiago or anything (just in case you are wondering). I was out laying solid groundwork with a fine chick the last few hours. Whatever was said I didn't even see it.

Anyway, feel free to alert the mods if you ever find my posts offensive in any way. I'm all too happy to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Peace and Cheers for hearing me out.

As for the original topic, I'm still shocked and appalled at that lady in the vid. People who do that kind of thing make our whole country look bad.

I think there has been a steady move away from racism in Australia in recent years, so much is changing from previous generations. People like this are doing our country a huge amount of damage and quite frankly, if I had seen her doing that I'd have felt like physically stuffing a sock in her foul disgusting mouth. :angry:

It would be interesting to hear more background from her side though. Maybe her husband fought in Vietnam or some other hypothetical circumstances have lead her to be so aggressive toward the Asian girl. I really do think it's partly to do with that older generation though. There will always be the odd dickhead who does it out of sheer lack of brain cells, but the sooner this kind of attitude dies out in this country the better.

On a brighter note, this video could actually help spark a much needed turning point in our society. Heaven knows we need it. :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

:innocent_n:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVytYHzDqo&html5=1

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

theres some serious laws here against hate crime nowdays , its one of the good things about some uk cops

has oz got any hate crime laws yet?

i wonder if the uk is being used as the test model for the laws? , like portugal was a project for somethn else...

the only match for uk racism i came accross was in usa and lol france .... maybe they took the smallest one as the easier first time test for a hate crime project?

-and click X rawks , its nice to have his flavour of news

- i say laws, but probably only mean "acts"

-intrigued to learn more about oz society and how diverse ,

seems here.... that all you have to do is go north 50 miles to go backwards in history lol (in integration terms) by about 35 years

obviously the poorer areas where the "churned out of the system" people land too.....

amongst those who are bred there and dont realise the trick is to move on up and move on out,

and those few that do realise...... dont stay long

and with oz being HUGE and my having hardly any clue yet :innocent_n: , it's nice to have a window into your guys views and just ...idk ?

learn from , good bad and ugly style

I did find this later tho *

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

there are hate speech laws and this woman is to be charged under them as far as i'm aware

• Like 1

What has happened here reminds me of how facebook was recently exposed for testing people to see how much bad vibes are passed on (or something like that). Not because this was a test of course but because the tread started with a nasty piece of work (that idiot on the train) and it seems it could have set the scene for trouble or angried up the blood.

Edited by machineelf

machine elf. nothing you said was out of line :-)

It was just one member who decieded to attack me.

I couldnt stand his bullying anymore. I put myself in the firing line because it needed to be done.

back to topic. Does anyone know if this woman has been charged yet?

yeah mate, she's been charged now (that was surprisingly fast). Bravo!

"A WOMAN accused of directing a torrent of racial abuse at an Asian woman on a Sydney train has been charged with using offensive language.

Police alerted to the incident first spoke to Ms Wilkins on Wednesday when she got off at Strathfield in Sydney’s west.

She was later arrested at Wyong station on the Central Coast, and was issued a summons for offensive language."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/charge-laid-over-racist-rant-on-sydney-train/story-e6frg6nf-1226977283108?nk=3412874c9ca23c2d60fca96b8365cf52

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4

some other really interesting articles

She's recently been scammed out $100 000 :o

Racist train rant woman apologises to victim

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/07/03/12/18/racist-sydney-train-rant-woman-apologises-to-innocent-victim

The racist video that's shocked Australia

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-28145725

This incident has got everyone talking about racism in Australia. FCUK Yeah! We soooo needed this to come up as a public issue again :)

Now let's all hail our beloved number 1 racist.

post-8867-0-26555400-1404443331_thumb.jp

art_Abbott-420x0.jpg

art_Abbott-420x0.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze

....also may need to define between racism and bigotry BTW :wink:

There is no doubting the country is now run by Bigots

• Like 1

I think the discussion so far has missed one of the most important aspects of what's going on. racist tirades are commonplace and the law provides for suitable punishment. For now. The changes to the racial discrimination act proposed by this government and pushed by Brandis will in future make such outbursts legal. The changes were designed to protect cautious racists like Andrew Bolt who understand where the line is because that's what he lives off, but they will also make blatant abuse like shown in the original clip entirely legal.

Brandis received 5500 submissions against his planned changes, which has delayed the implementation. I think it is very improtant that they don't go ahead or ugly scenes like this will become more frequent and legal.

• Like 3

A South African friend once said to me, referring to the aprtheid days, "the only difference between South Africa and Australia is we (SA) were stupid enough to make it written it in our laws". Struck me as quite profound at the time (many years ago now), but it still sits with me as being fairly valid. Speaking of Australia generally, not referring to individuals, we are undoubtably a country built on racism, and in many cases that sentiment still holds strong, even if people don't realise it, or show it publicly.

Also, I think these days, people are so caught up in there own shit, they tend to forget theres a whole world of people feeling exactly the same as them out there, hence the hard done by attitiudes that often come out. Its sort of like we are taught to think were always right, and everyone else is out to get us, or stop us or whatever. Somewhat unrelated but simple example. Yesterday I was at a parking ticket machine where you had to get a ticket to display for free for the first 1.5 hrs. As I got my ticket printed out, an elderly lady came to line up behind me. I offered her my ticket out of politeness, and started pushing the buttons to get myself one. Her only reactions were " whats wrong with it? Why don't you want it? How longs it good for?". It never occured to her I was just trying to be polite. I think thats the mentality thats drummed into people these days. With all the bullshit about sending back the boats, muslims, aboriginals etc etc etc thats all over the media, people just forget how to be humane.

Obviously not everyone is like this, and I certainly aint stating anything new. Fortunately it's the people that aren't fooled by this shit, that make me smile and think least all isn't lost just yet :wink:

EDIT - isn't lost not is lost. Typing urghhhh

Edited by Cubism
  • Like 3

One of our biggest problems is that it's coming from the top.

& as we all know, shit slides down-hill.

Abbott slammed for saying Australia 'unsettled' before British colonisation

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/07/04/abbott-slammed-saying-australia-unsettled-british-colonisation

• Like 1

I think the discussion so far has missed one of the most important aspects of what's going on. racist tirades are commonplace and the law provides for suitable punishment. For now. The changes to the racial discrimination act proposed by this government and pushed by Brandis will in future make such outbursts legal. The changes were designed to protect cautious racists like Andrew Bolt who understand where the line is because that's what he lives off, but they will also make blatant abuse like shown in the original clip entirely legal.

Brandis received 5500 submissions against his planned changes, which has delayed the implementation. I think it is very improtant that they don't go ahead or ugly scenes like this will become more frequent and legal.

wow im really shocked that they are even trying to do that

• Like 2

"A WOMAN accused of directing a torrent of racial abuse at an Asian woman on a Sydney train has been charged with using offensive language."

i wonder why it was just offensive language and not something more serious, not that wikipedia is the best source but a casual reading gives NSW hate crime laws as allowing for:

unlawful for a person, by a public act, to incite hatred towards, serious contempt for, or severe ridicule of a person or group on the grounds of race.

is it because of the incite business or are these laws generally harder to prove and the effort to go to prosecuting his person under this act would not outweigh the benefit?

Abbott slammed for saying Australia 'unsettled' before British colonisation

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/07/04/abbott-slammed-saying-australia-unsettled-british-colonisation

it's telling he thinks the invasion and genocide was a form of "foreign investment",

• Like 1

you know i saw a vice thing about a south american community taking matters into their own hands against the cartels, and how if a certain percentage of the indigenous population voted, they could become their own gov with their own staff, guns, law etc

and it struck me, thats why they slaughtered the aboriginals, so they could claim the country their own. they needed to get population levels low, and foreign levels high, before anyone noticed.

and then breed out the rest... the slaughtering is well documented in QLD politics afaik. the only state to write it on paper. police were told to shoot aboriginals on site, no questions asked. put down like a dog.

this wasn't very long ago... don't people realise there is consequences to those actions? serious ones for the next generations...

blatant dis-respect of any life really grinds my gears.

Edited by C_T
  • Like 1

what they did to the aboriginals was so wrong

one of my best friends i grew up withs dad is one of the elders of the area they have done alot of archaeological all over the southwest

the family does alot of great things

but the stories i have been told are horrific of the slaughter and later how they were considered fauna, wildlife, animals they were'nt considered people

it wasnt till the 1950's or something that they were considered citizens

Australia has a very cruel dark history thats for sure

• Like 1