The Corroboree
Shamanistic

Biodegradable Pots

Im planning on starting a bunch of acacias this spring and wanted a pot that I could quickly and easily put straight in the ground when they are the right size but that aren't terribly expensive since ill be needing a few. Anyone of you knowledgeable plant heads got any suggestions?

Egg cartons? Bunnings has those little biodegradable pots, but I'm not sure if they're the size or cost you'd be looking for... or: http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/biodegradable-pots

I've used the bunnings ones quite a bit, they seem to be ok although unless they get soggy, I've found the plant didn't really break though all that well... I soaked them for a few hours before planting and poked the sides with a fork and that helped.

The bunnings pots ive found not to degrade in any fashion quickly.

• Like 4

Ive used biodegradable pots before and found they dont degrade fast enough and they cause the area inside the pot to dry out as it draws all the water up :(

• Like 1

Just don't use jiffy/peat pots. They are the devil!

• Like 3

If you really want biodegradable I'd say maybe google paper pot maker - can't get much cheaper than that.

And I wouldn't get so attached to the idea of planting the pot directly into the ground - as convenient as it may seem, just about any biodegradable medium is still going to hinder and slow down plant growth and root penetration significantly - I wouldn't worry too much about planting/transplant shock. I've never had a problem with anything - just remove from the pot (or whatever you decide to use) and plant it soil-on-soil. The plan will be much happier once it's settled in.

Edited by gtarman

not biodegradable, but reusable...tubestock is the shit for acacias

picture-15.png#

easy to manage when you've got a heap of them...can make tube holders out of reinforcing mesh ect.

When they are ready the whole tube slips out and boom into the ground. Which at that stage IMO is the best time to get them to ground.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 3

I've tried a lot of different pots for Acacias but I reckon you can't beat the propagation tubes shown in Waterboys' post above.

With the biodegradeable pots they seem to hamper the root growth at a crucial stage and many times the roots spiral around inside them before any penetrate the pot. When the root does break through it tends to be a weak root localised to one side and when transplanted it can result in a weak plant that is prone to wind damage and can be slow to establish itself in either a pot or the ground. The biodegradeable pots are great for veges & herbs, but I've never had great success when using them for trees.

With propagation tubes the roots never get any setbacks until they reach the bottom of the tube and start getting air pruned. The square tubes are really good because they stop the roots spiraling around and tend to promote almost vertical root growth that isn't tangled up as much as a round pot, the best tubes are those with vertical ridges on the insides to guide the roots down. When they get transplanted they just seem to kick a lot better than a plant coming out of a round pot.

I've also read that a tree coming from a round pot with a spiraling root system can strangle itself as it grows - I don't know if that is true but it seems possible.

The cost can be a bit prohibitive when you do it on a large scale and you are paying retail prices. Maybe if a few members chipped in a bulk purchase would be the way to go, I'd be keen for a few hundred myself.

Sorry I didn't reply to your message on the other forum, I did try to send a reply but my connection kept dropping out.

• Like 2

I've also read that a tree coming from a round pot with a spiraling root system can strangle itself as it grows - I don't know if that is true but it seems possible.

Very true. I've seen it first hand many times.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll go with the tube of tubes waterboy posted. I guess I could reuse the ones I get anyway so I'm still being environmentally friendly. SallyD, I'd be interested in purchasing larger quantities of pots since they really are quite expensive when done on small scale. I wouldn't need as many as I'd get but it's good to have a stock there :)

Those tubes that are ridged I guard like gold.... If anyones looking at them I would be keen.

I have scavanged heaps of plain ones from the tip-shop, the pots just get dumped in a metal cage and whoever wants them gets them. Also loads of Hiko cells from forestry plantings..... I build things from them now...lol

depends on how a local landfill might be run though.

• Like 1

This is the place to buy pots you have to buy by the carton but they are cheap. I buy my 85mm square , 50mm square squat , 62mm square squat , trays , open mesh trays and labels. :)

http://www.gardencityplastics.com/

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Something I have used with some success are the cardboard cores from dunny rolls or the same thing from xmas wrapping paper etc.

simply fold one end back up into the tube so it forms a kind of base which you can punch holes into for extra drainage. They will get a bit

soft from watering but if you contain them in a seedling tray or something similar they will give each other support and should last long

enough up to planting time. Because they are thin material they break down easily in the soil. Absolutely free as well. Cheers

• Like 1

Something I have used with some success are the cardboard cores from dunny rolls etc. Simply fold one end

back inside the tube and bob's yer uncle. Pack them together in a tray or similar to stop them distorting

too much when wet but they do firm up again when they out a bit. They should last long enough up until

planting time and will break down without a trace in the soil. Free as well so win win. Cheers

• Like 1

You could use disposable plastic picnic cups if you poke a few holes in the bottom. They are fairly cheap but won't last for more than one use.

I like tubes for most natives, and I always look out for a few here and there at the markets or the dump etc.

Tubes can be held up by a plastic holder but I have also seen hundreds of them held up with tennis-court mesh which was nailed onto small logs laying on the ground. They had black plastic below them and all and the run-off water was able to be captured and re-used.

And also, the trick to removing a plant from a tube without damaging the roots is... (drumroll)... make sure the tube is fairly dry. ie remove the plant from the tube before watering it, rather than wetting it while still in the tube.

The mix will hold together much better when dry, and then you should give it a good water as soon as it is actually planted.

Natives really hate root disturbance.

my local 2 dollar shop has these cardboard pots, can't remember the price exactly but it's like 50 for $2-$3 is think

Something I have used with some success are the cardboard cores from dunny rolls etc. Simply fold one end

Has worked for me in the past. I didnt plant the dunny roll though.