The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glimpse

I think I pissed off skynet

So about 2-3 years ago I opened a Gmail account and had since endeavored to try and limit the amount of correct information I gave them about myself eg. no full name, no mobile no. no linked email etc.

about 6 months ago they started recommending that I link my other emails and a month ago they blocked my google profile saying that they didnt believe I had used my real name to set it up (i hadn't).

I gave in to them and told them my nickname and the shortened version of my given name they said they did not believe it was my name and refused to open my profile, I told them to go fuck themselves and a day later when I tried to get into my email it said my password had been changed and when I click on the link that says "didn't change your password" it takes me here....

Password help for [email protected]

Reset your password using the verification method below:

Get a verification code on my phone: •••••••001
Receive via:
a text message (SMS)
an automated phone call

anyone have some advice on how to access my email without giving skynet any more of my precious identity.

to top it all off hotmail(yes I still have one) is now hassling me for mobile no's and backup emails etc.

anyone else here who doesn't like giving out there identity details online having these troubles?

That's fucking outrageous.

How dare they?

Yahoo do regularly ask me for my mobile number but they haven't threatened to cut me off yet

Worried, I've had that account for over 12 years

blocking access to your email because you won't feed them with personal info (namely which exact person all of your emails pertain to) is very low IMHO. asking for backup emails, phone numbers and secret questions (eg mothers maiden name) actually serves a purpose of keeping your account safer from hacking or password-loss (and it helps them join more personal info together) but you'll almost always find that when gmail etc seem to be demanding this information before you can proceed, there will be a way forward without adding more information.

what is a good reliable freemail provider that might not ruthlessly mine your correspondance for personal data? several emails is always good to keep your identity a bit blurry eg one for friends, one for online shopping, one for website memberships... but if they're all hotmail and gmail? i made the mistake of using a gmail address for online shopping, that's all of the tasty info right there, all of the basic details plus consumption habits.

you'll almost always find that when gmail etc seem to be demanding this information before you can proceed, there will be a way forward without adding more information.

It was all good until I tried to sort out the blocking of my profile(which i think was only there for youtube comments or whatever), if I hadnt tried to fix it I probably could have continued to access my email by simply skipping the more info requests it was when i told them to go fuck themselves that they stepped it up a notch so maybe mybad

are there any free email non bastardy providers?

hotmail is a good service (run by microsoft) but they'll be perusing your info for sure.

last night, at about 1:20am i heard a noise that woke me up. i woke up to find google sniffing my underwear! why dont those c%*ts go f$@k themselves! how bloody dare they... time to find some clever software to avoid the ongoing torrent of harrasment for my personal details from them. i did expect, in time, for all the BS that is qld australia to move into the internet for yet another unthought feeble attempt to control every aspect of my life... bloody typical isnt it!!

I good program to block alot of data minning is the ghostery addon for fire fox. While it doesnt help if you give your information away it blocks most trackers

When I was younger I was taught never to give out my real details on the internet.

EVER.

If your worried about using your phone number just set up a burn number give it to them then

ditch it or I hate to go down this road but could you be being profiled ?? hate to ask but in this

modern world it happens . learn how to use anonymity web browser software use pgp mailing,

find a old microwave and rig your computer with it at the flip of a switch it will create a emp and

fry your hard drive FUCK THE SYSTEM

yeah red! i love your resourcefulness and fearless redhead pubes spirit..

I played around with a TOR browser and tried hushmail a while ago and last night I found a really comprehensive step by step guide to anonymous browsing, now I need to just put aside a saturday arvo to get my head around it all and make it part of my everyday web life :(

And BIG RED, as far as possibly being profiled, if its for possible credit fraud 'they' would be barking up the wrong tree there as my credit rating has been FUBAR since the early nineties and thanks to the occasional defaulted mobile contract over the years (everytime they offer me another one) I have managed to keep it that way.

love the microwave idea-Fuck'em :wave-finger:

Gmail keeps asking me to verify my recovery details, in case somebody hacks my account... pretty much every time I log on.

Every time, I just click "okay this is all correct" and say "hurry up and show me my inbox".

The funny thing is though, if someone ever manages to break into my account... the first thing they'll see is a reminder/invitation to change all my recovery information.

-________________________-

and whose fault will that be :P

you don't want a hacked email account if other accounts are linked to it. those of us who won't go quietly into big brother total inter-connectedness (eg account linked with two emails and mobile phone) have to keep our emails tight (that includes from forgetfulness) because that's where the lost passwords from all our other online accounts will be sent.

Tormail.com its the best

I was shocked when Yahoo first asked me for my phone number it took me a while to get past the blockage they were very persistent and still ask now. If they insist I will have to tell them I can't because I have a temporary work phone.

On another topic how come my credit and debit cards can be used without authorization using pay pass? Hope the fuckers re-imbuese me if they get nicked

On another topic how come my credit and debit cards can be used without authorization using pay pass? Hope the fuckers re-imbuese me if they get nicked

Last time I picked up a replacement card from my bank they charged me extra $$ to cover implementing their new 'pay wave' cards and I asked if I could just get the usual one without paywave as I didnt really like the idea of my card being able to be used by anyone without a pin/signature and the bank teller laughed it off as if I was a moron to not want this new 'convenient' technology

Last time I picked up a replacement card from my bank they charged me extra $$ to cover implementing their new 'pay wave' cards and I asked if I could just get the usual one without paywave as I didnt really like the idea of my card being able to be used by anyone without a pin/signature and the bank teller laughed it off as if I was a moron to not want this new 'convenient' technology

i know right. i got one of these newfandangled paywave cards also... i'm just gonna keep this one at home for internet banking, and keep using my debit card.

My debit card is debit/credit and the people in the shops are so insistent that I use paywave on it. Pin numbers aren't perfect I proved that to my friend when I asked her to hide it from me and I still got it right just by the position of her fingers, but it is vastly safer than just holding your card to the machine. I signed mine the first time but since then it has just approved all transactions even if is stick it into the machine.

LOL this paywave thing is a bad joke, like all australian inventions.. everytime i use mine in such way i like to say "wow, this is so kool, never before have i been able to use a stolen card so easy... this is AWESOME" i get some odd looks from others nearby. kindalike they want to laugh, then concerned, then deep in thought. they dont know how to react to this comment. love it. keeps people aware of the dangers of this rubbish australian system. a joke.

LOL this paywave thing is a bad joke, like all australian inventions.. everytime i use mine in such way i like to say "wow, this is so kool, never before have i been able to use a stolen card so easy... this is AWESOME" i get some odd looks from others nearby. kindalike they want to laugh, then concerned, then deep in thought. they dont know how to react to this comment. love it. keeps people aware of the dangers of this rubbish australian system. a joke.

Haha, that's classic. I might do that myself... spread the awareness!

Ha Ha reminds me of the time when my English friend tried to get his ratty old tent on a plane inCairns, not long after 9-11. The rods were all poking out of the end so the chick tutted for a while and then said he could only take it on if she wrapped it in yellow and black safety tape, do she did. Then he picked it up and exclaimed it looked like a machine gun and waved it around at everyone!

I thought we were guaranteed the rubber glove treatment but she took it well, and let us carry on with a mere warning.

I have two email accounts. One is personal and the other was setup solely to use where email verification is required for various sites eg facebook.

My facebook name is spelt differently to my real name.

A week ago I had an email from facebook to my my personal account suggesting that I add myself as a friend!!!! How this happened i have no idea being that facebook shouldn't even have my personal email address!!!

A lot of people dont realise what you put on the net STAYS on the net . Like that tweeting shit

bigred is on the toilet : bigred is buying a litre of milk : who really gives a fuck . The whole internet

is getting out of control . The faster you learn to use the net in stealth the better if send a

sus Email use www.privnote.com which self destructs when the receiving party opens it

try it . Remember there out to get you, nothing is safe. we are legion

https://privnote.com/