The Corroboree
Johnjohn86

Salvia help

It's not all about the pretty flowers Psylo Dread!

I agree. It's also about the woolen skivvy.

Oms not Bombs, baby.

tumblr_lhapvoY8ZH1qcblado1_500.jpg

• Like 2

I can sleep on blue bed from yates...and long lasting colour with a guarantee what more could I want?doublepost see what salvia can do in a world of blue! It triples everything!

meme-ckea-1.jpg

• Like 2

I agree. It's also about the woolen skivvy.

Oms not Bombs, baby.

a>

datz coz ur rassist aganest krautrock

Welcome JohnJohn

We were all underage, naive, or addicted at some point...of course....we all had a life before we found this place after all

of course this guy can be converted......but not by being an ass to him.....

a simple pointing out of the forum rules to him, in a nice way, would have been much more likely to induce him to participate in the forum, and the giving and sharing of plants and knowledge this place is about.

PM me your details John John and ill see to it that some of the fun stuff that hasnt been banned yet makes it your way.

Only catch is it will all be seed, to force you to gain the knowledge on how to really appreciate each plant, from sowing, and finally right through to consumption.

Much more rewarding if its your own produce, and gives the grower time to learn the mysteries/keys of control of each plant before being innadvertantly smacked in the face by the heavy blows many can dish out.

• Like 10

3 people managed to harverest salvia divinorum seeds, that i know of, siebert, sea mac, and the person from png who had a cameo appereance here a while ago...

thanks plant helper...i only knew about the last 2...

i think i might have find and purchase me a bunch of homing humming-birds and become a god amongst men

• Like 1

3 people managed to harverest salvia divinorum seeds, that i know of, siebert, sea mac, and the person from png who had a cameo appereance here a while ago...

Hey planthelper, a Salvia farm in north NZ have harvested seed from their plants, and another kiwi member here has a flowering plant.

great info, thx 4 that centipede, this means it should be possible to obtain seeds in similar climates and all of them which are even warmer.

i add something else here, what i've been thinkig of for a while.

some people think the wasson strain salvia, has a virus or something similar.

they claim, cloning the plant thousands of times has let to degenaration.

we all have observed leaf curl with salvia, and i have seen this with salvias in europe and in oz, in the old days.

in short, somebody with tissue culture skills ought to try (where legal to do so) to eliminate any chance of a virus in this plant.

• Like 1

hey zelly...any luck in selfing that beauty? how big is the plant before it flowered.....in high humidity? (is it in a greenhouse or exposed) water and nutirent? do you foilar often? Light exposure? did you tip it?

Absolutely beautiful mate

PS anyone know if they can be selfed, or is a combo of luna, wasson-hoffman(bunnel), or blossier needed?

I grow em only because they seem to survive on their own, despite my major neglect. They get way more sun than they should & the plants bloom for me every year, but I only took pics the first year cuz they were so new & unique at the time. Multiple plants blooming at once, so I guess i could try for seeds, just never thought much about it. I never top em, once the flower bract dies back they resume upward growth at the nearest node.

The one pictured is in the ground, near a white painted block wall, in a flower bed with morning sun that also has a bunch of palms, several caapi, p alba, catha, yerba mate, calea z, banana trees, etc. I might water the bed 2x monthly? Nothing foliar, maybe some time release pellets once in a while tossed out in the whole flower bed.

Mild winter this year, but in years past she's stood up well to night time temps of -2C. Sally loses most of her leaves, but comes back every year for more abuse & neglect.

Sally first started flowering when she was 1 meter, both in the ground & in pots. Last season the top of the main plant was in full sun, 2.5 meters tall, (small tiny leaves) and the flower bract was really stunted. Branch tips in partial shade had fuller flower bracts.

So ya think I should try for seeds? :wink:

if you get viable seed....and u are something of a god....

try for sure...i would love to know how seamac did it....he had humming birds and was selfing i beleive....

very interesting to hear about her being hardened off for you.

I wonder if EG's concrete dust mix to riase the ph of the pollen to make it more likely to be accepted or something would work on sally?

I grow em only because they seem to survive on their own, despite my major neglect. They get way more sun than they should & the plants bloom for me every year, but I only took pics the first year cuz they were so new & unique at the time. Multiple plants blooming at once, so I guess i could try for seeds, just never thought much about it. I never top em, once the flower bract dies back they resume upward growth at the nearest node.

The one pictured is in the ground, near a white painted block wall, in a flower bed with morning sun that also has a bunch of palms, several caapi, p alba, catha, yerba mate, calea z, banana trees, etc. I might water the bed 2x monthly? Nothing foliar, maybe some time release pellets once in a while tossed out in the whole flower bed.

Mild winter this year, but in years past she's stood up well to night time temps of -2C. Sally loses most of her leaves, but comes back every year for more abuse & neglect.

Sally first started flowering when she was 1 meter, both in the ground & in pots. Last season the top of the main plant was in full sun, 2.5 meters tall, (small tiny leaves) and the flower bract was really stunted. Branch tips in partial shade had fuller flower bracts.

So ya think I should try for seeds? :wink:

Zelly mate, beautiful pics, are these guys affected by the common insect pests, just curious since the leaves look perfect but one of the flowers in your pic has a blackening around the edge.

Also are you in Australia and what is the maximum daytime temp if it gets to -2 min.

cheers

J.

Hard to believe that this thread ended up as a serious content filled conversation. :scratchhead:

• Like 5

lol yeah eatfoo i also saw the irony in it, but is it not better than the thread degenerating further than it already was?

Better we all actually learn something rather than chastise each other? :crux:

Jebus, he cant/shouldnt, answer your question affirmativly, as that would be incriminiting him/her self, as Salvia divinorium is illegal everywhere in australia. These threads are for educational purposes only, and we can only assume that Zelly is not in Aus, as he is asking if he should personally attempt to seed them, meaning he would have to have the plants, making the plants in the pictures in question, very likely his own.

Sorry to have to point that out mate :blush:.

I dont think its blacking either....that only really occurs in the stems in incredibly high prolonged humitdy, or when attempting to take cuttings. more like purple streaking through the veings in the stem holding the flowers, as he has stated these are outside, not inside, which if anyting was to go wrong, we could assume we would see blackening of (and crisping off) of the edges of the leaves, and possibly whole leaves depending on how hot and dry it is.

Advantage of high humidity(inside a little hothouse)(known as 'inside') = NO1 for noobs (hard to burn off edges of leaf sets), awsome growth, easy to keep green, less watering, less foilar feeding, no grubs

Disadvantage of high humidity = black soft rot(almost unavoidable in older larger specimens in greenhouses), possible etiolation(when combined with lower light levels), no natural pollinatiors

Advantage of outside (fluctuating and exposed conditions) = no soft rot, can ground (so feet are always damp which she loves), natural pollinators (although we dont have humming birds where its been done sucessfully)

Disadvantage of outside: Must 'harden off' all cuttings, even from a plant that was already hardened.(baby the shit out of it for a few weeks)

Feel free to add to the list with any relavent information (from wikipedia or other electronic sources of course ie no I, me , we) or if your not in Aus, your own first hand knowledge,

Feel free to add to the list with any relavent information (from wikipedia or other electronic sources of course ie no I, me , we) or if your not in Aus, your own first hand knowledge,

Planthelper taught me a good lesson with plants, one which definitely applies to Salvia d..

Babying the plant and giving it too much humidity makes it a weak plant and more susceptible to pests etc, better to harden them off. Also, in too high humidity and not enough light the plant will grow much "leggier" than usual

Also, Salvia, as I'm sure is the same with a lot of plants, dislikes pots. She out grows pots within a month and it seems mean to restrict her growth.

In the ground they grow quite quickly! I have many plants in the ground but only a couple in pots.

I have some in the ground in the cactus house (full sun, fuck all humidity) and they love it.

It is easy for them to get spider mite or aphids in such dry conditions but with a bit of neem and some ladybugs thats not much of a problem and they seem to outgrow any bugs..

Then there is the Salvia house, where they are also in the ground but in a much more humid environment (tub of water in middle of greenhouse)

these plants grow faster and look much more lush than there siblings in the sun/dry. They have never had any bad bugs

Good soil makes a hell of a difference, fertilizing helps.

Some cuttings are handling it outside here atm, hopefully they will survive winter..

This plant is quite easy to grow once you get the hang of it, it's not as tetchy as people make out imo.

lol yeah eatfoo i also saw the irony in it, but is it not better than the thread degenerating further than it already was?

Better we all actually learn something rather than chastise each other? :crux:

Jebus, he cant/shouldnt, answer your question affirmativly, as that would be incriminiting him/her self, as Salvia divinorium is illegal everywhere in australia. These threads are for educational purposes only, and we can only assume that Zelly is not in Aus, as he is asking if he should personally attempt to seed them, meaning he would have to have the plants, making the plants in the pictures in question, very likely his own.

Sorry to have to point that out mate :blush:.

I dont think its blacking either....that only really occurs in the stems in incredibly high prolonged humitdy, or when attempting to take cuttings. more like purple streaking through the veings in the stem holding the flowers, as he has stated these are outside, not inside, which if anyting was to go wrong, we could assume we would see blackening of (and crisping off) of the edges of the leaves, and possibly whole leaves depending on how hot and dry it is.

Advantage of high humidity(inside a little hothouse)(known as 'inside') = NO1 for noobs (hard to burn off edges of leaf sets), awsome growth, easy to keep green, less watering, less foilar feeding, no grubs

Disadvantage of high humidity = black soft rot(almost unavoidable in older larger specimens in greenhouses), possible etiolation(when combined with lower light levels), no natural pollinatiors

Advantage of outside (fluctuating and exposed conditions) = no soft rot, can ground (so feet are always damp which she loves), natural pollinators (although we dont have humming birds where its been done sucessfully)

Disadvantage of outside: Must 'harden off' all cuttings, even from a plant that was already hardened.(baby the shit out of it for a few weeks)

Thanks for pointing it out 2Deep2Handle mate, I screwed the pooch on that one and didn't even think of the implications of my question.

Thanks for the condensed knowledge, I am currently in the process of building a greenhouse so your info is very useful.

Regarding sally though its just a damn shame that this plant is so controlled here in Aus I don't see the danger or abuse potential. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to make the right friends :)

although we dont have humming birds where its been done sucessfully

2D2H- pollination via hummingbirds....is this something you heard from seamac? It's been my understanding hummingbirds arent really attracted to anything other than red flowers. We have hummingbirds here, but I've never seen them around the sally. I have heard of one person in particular having success with hand pollination, but it sounded like an incredible amount of work.

One thing about rooting sally, in really high humidity such as a sealed zip lock bag, she'll grow roots anywhere up & down the stem, & not just at the nodes. So it's entirely possible to root out a piece of stem without any nodes. Poor pic, but you get the idea....

sally11593z.jpg

Sally seeds have been produced in OZ.

Rev at AE:

"Proving that this plant can and will set seed from a single clone when left in a natural forest setting which allows access by pollinators, with no interference by people"

http://www.australia...a+seed&start=30

Oh yeah anyone got a trade?

Have spilanthes, Want saliva

Edited by shruman