The Corroboree
reshroomED

Otways mushshroom camping/hunting

As a few of you know, I'm *eventually* getting around to re-locating Northwards.

This being my last season in Colac, I'll be doing my best to avail myself of local produce.

We've had a few forum camping trips out this way, none of which have been a success due to poor attendance.

So thought I'd try a different approach this time, as prior efforts have involved a fair bit of work for me, to little avail.

I'll be heading out into the hills (for at least a weekend) in early May.

If anyone's interested in a guided tour of Otways shroom-spots, they're more than welcome to come along.

Things to consider before committing yourself are that it's a fair hike from Melbourne (about 3hrs drive all-up, taking it easy), and it'll be f***ing cold and wet (so don't roll up in nylon tracky-dacks and whinge about the cold - hey, it did happen), and you'll need your own camping gear.

Up-sides are fungii of all descriptions *everywhere*, fantastic scenery, and I can probably gift you an Eileen cutting (unless fifty people roll up, but feel it's a pretty safe bet that I'll be on my Pat).

Maps with specific directions will be made available to anyone interested.

Please don't reply unless you're serious about the venture.

cheers

ed

Fuck, what a great offer Ed, Not only will they get the sites to find them, but, a teacher to teach what is what. Then, just to make it more enticing you offer the gift of Eileen? Took me three years to get that and my first piece cost me big. People jump on this, It doesn't happen more than once. Well maybe, wish I was there.

Perhaps not as good as it may sound. Shit, if you know what sub's look like, they're everywhere here in winter. You don't need a 'spot' as such, just a look around in the bush should see it sorted.

I was driving back from Lorne to Melbourne (Deans Marsh Rd) years back and at 100km/hr+ I was seeing them as we drove past. Got the driver to stop and they were literally everywhere on the side of the road.

Personally, I prefer lookin' in-amongst-it for the little buggers, but as said above, any rest-area, picnic spot etc should have plenty.

Ta for the kudos though dworx.

ed

I'd be keen to come along for this if it is not on the same weekend of the NSW camping trip, April 30 -May 2.

Thanks ED.

Gee Ed,

Sounds like a hoot!!!

i'd love to come along if it werent for other commitments. Would love to have a look at interstate samples and make notes of differences.

for those not so experinced it would be a great opportunity to get the camera out for some great pics, and learn about some local mycology.

wish i could be there.

Cheers, Ob.

that a sweet offer ed, i hear ya about the socialness of the community, have been to a couple of meets with really poor attendance, last one being with you in the otways a couple years ago. even then you were as generous. i have had some great results from that ellien cut, actually a friend just started a road out of 18 months of depression from some growth i had from it. says it saved his life. thanks, but thanks just doesnt do it.

this is gold for the newbies, opportunities like this dont come up often , it would really fast track ones learning and confidence in hunting, potentially making one self sufficient onwards.

PS for the newbs do not eat as much otways fungus as you would indoor fungus.

enjoy the joy.

Sounds like good fun reshroomED. I hunt the otways in winter aswell. Might be able to swap a few spots.

It is definatly a fungal jungle in winter

I'd like to put my hand up reshroomED. It's a magic area and any of your knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I would only be able to afford a weekend. I do have to work some weekends so I'm hoping this doesn't coincide with one of those.

Thanks a bunch,

Mt.B

I'll tag along Ed. But i expect a 5 course dinner waiting for me at the camp site when i arrive. And if it's not there... :uzi:

:lol:

cheers

sounds good Ed,

I couldn't get away to the one a couple of years back and was spewin about it.

A long drive (5 1/2 hr )for me but shit, why not?

:rolleyes:

....double post... :wacko:

Edited by gecko

All are welcome, but you'll need to sort/plan between youselves.

As per my initiating post, I'm not interested in being the organiser.

If you people get something happening, I'll be there. If not, I'll be there anyways, but in a far more remote spot than can be accessed by your average family car (or stock 4WD for that matter) so that I don't have to sit around all day minding gear and waiting for some-one to arrive.

And it's looking like after the 14th for me as I (now) have prior commitments, so end of May, start of June. Which is probably for the best as I suspect things might start happening a bit later than usual this year. Apart from that I have no time/date restrictions, so whatever suits the general concensus.

YM - You want me to pick you up, take you there and back, and cook - and five courses at that? You'd wanna be a bloody good root:bootyshake: or have large quantities of various substances to bribe me with (preferrably the latter, but then you probably wouldn't eat my cooking then).

Only joking, the passenger seat is now booked.

And Korky's advice re volume consumed is worth heeding.

I occasionally make a reference to shroom potency, but am rarely taken seriously (and not interested in discussions about my mushies are stronger than yours so never press the point).

But every time I've had guests that have had prior experience with subs, at least one prson has 'overdone' it by taking their regular dose, and spent hours holding up a tree etc.

BM has theories regarding beech-wood substrates that warrant further investigation, but there are at least three distint sub-types here that I've noticed (from a purely macro view).

So bottom line is:

You people sort who's coming and I'll supply directions and modify my camping spot to suit

Here's a panoramic pic of one of the three the most likely camp-spots (a Californian Redwood plantation), but it's a summer pic, so expect more water and greenery.

http://archive.bigben.id.au/victoria/virtual/vr/aire.html

Also, there are several small waterfalls well worth a look within 1/2hrs drive, and one in walkable disrtance

More info/pics can be gained by a search for "Otway" in these fora.

cheers,

ed

Edited by reshroomED

All are welcome, but you'll need to sort/plan between youselves.

Ed is one of my favourite people on the planet :wub: scientist, scholar, old-school gentleman, good mate and funny as fuck

Ah and he's realistic, so if he says it's going to be cold, or don't eat all the mushrooms at once, or get yourselves organised, that's how it is :)

If you get a chance to go- please do, you won't regret it. Otways is a beautiful spot, our road trip crew did a few unforgettable days there last year and he knows them like the proverbial

I wouldn't mind going if it's anytime after mid may.

Never been picking that far south anyway. It would be interesting to see how they differ from what you find around Melbourne and the yarra ranges.

Peace

Ed is one of my favourite people on the planet :wub: scientist, scholar, old-school gentleman, good mate and funny as fuck

Aaaaw shucks, what a *lovely* thing to say, although it's far from deserved.

I'm all embarrassed now.

The feelings are definitely reciprocated.

YM, fancy heading out for an 'arvo a week or so before to get some wood?

I can manage the cutting, but could do with a hand loading/unloading it. We can stash it in the scrub nearby (I've tons of poly-tarps to keep it dry) and pick up the following weekend.

It gets very cold down in those valleys, and a fire is near essential.

i have had some great results from that ellien cut, actually a friend just started a road out of 18 months of depression from some growth i had from it. says it saved his life. thanks, but thanks just doesnt do it.

No thanks needed, hearing that is far more than enough. I love to hear of her effectiveness as a medicinal vs 'wow, I got smashed'.

If anyone is stuck transport-wise, I can pick you up and return you to Colac train station. Stll got three empty seats and more room for gear than three people could carry, so pm me if this suits (but please only ask if you're definite about arriving).

Sorrry to harp-on about the 'definite' bit, but last few trips people have all bailed at the last moment, leaving me to juggle who needs a lift and who doesn't.

There are a couple of stands of fruit and nut trees in the in the general area that I visit each year in early May, plus that's milk-cap time.

So will be doing a few trips in the coming weeks and will post condition updates in this thread.

cheers

ed

I can manage the cutting, but could do with a hand loading/unloading it. We can stash it in the scrub nearby (I've tons of poly-tarps to keep it dry) and pick up the following weekend.

Wow, a fire is luxurious! No wonder youve not been happy with people pulling out if you are going to this degree of hospitality. I do a lot of snow camping in the Vic Alps, so I was just going to bring all my toasty goose down stuff B)

Edited by Mt.B

YM - You want me to pick you up, take you there and back, and cook - and five courses at that? You'd wanna be a bloody good root:bootyshake: or have large quantities of various substances to bribe me with (preferrably the latter, but then you probably wouldn't eat my cooking then).

Only joking, the passenger seat is now booked.

Haha so you've heard the rumours? lol. Actually Ed i'll be driving so you have another free seat!

Really? Ime he's a bit of a prick, always making fun of me, calling me names...sicking his dog on me... :lol: Joking!!! Farking good bloke!!

No problem at all man! Just let me know when. I work these days so it'll have to be on the weekend if thats cool.

OK!! So far its:

Lampy

Mt B

Gecko

Ed

Ym.

Maybe:

Jabez

Korky?

Queens birthday is the 14th, so i reckon the weekend before. Every man and his dog will be out on the long weekend and i'm not much a fan of crowds. So JUNE 4TH-7TH. If anyone wants it to change post the date you want and then wait for eveyone to agree/disagree. I'm easy as pie so the date doesn't bother me.

Cheers

Edited by Yawning Man

Mate, last trip I had tarps strung up as cover, chairs, table, generator, flood-lights, electric fridge, hot shower, spare tents, mattresses, cooking gear, chainsaw, and more.

Then only five of those invited came - and two only stayed an hour or so, the rest about 12hrs (and that's a over a 76hr period). Which left me stuck there on my own minding the gear for three days.

Hence my not being interested in doing it again.

That being said, I'll be bringing most of the above (half of it is integral to my vehicle anyway) but not to a public campsite unless there'll be people to watch over it

ed

I'll 'definitely' drive down for the weekend, if that's all right.

It all sounds good, plus I've been meaning to head down that way for the last few seasons anyway.

Anytime is good for me, BTW.

*bump*

As no body has objected to the date i set June 4th-7th i guess that is the date. Just thought i'd bump the thread as it's not that far away. At this moment it's fairly wet and cold :drool2: so i think this camp will be awesome/worth it!!!

cheers

im going to head out that way in the next few days to check how cold and wet it has become. Will report back on the observations

As no body has objected to the date i set June 4th-7th i guess that is the date.

My work roster for June has yet to appear, so I can't confirm this date as yet. The roster shouldn't be too far off.

@ Mt B - No worries man. I only suggested that date after looking at the nsw camp thread and the 5 pages of 'When is it' 'whats the date' lol, so decided to take the initative. BUT, the date can be changed easily, as most attendees seem fairly flexible.

@ Lampy - Look forward to it man!

cheers

Getting the ball rolling is good Yawning Man :)

June 4th-7th

The work roster is out and so is this date for me. Of all the weekends that I have to work, this is one :/

If people are interested in changing the date I'm free the weekend before, 29-30th of May. No stress if it can't be moved, zems the breaks.