The Corroboree
Quill

Horizontal rooting?

So recently I was fortunate enough to get a bridgesii cutting (cheers YT :worship: ) apparently it had been lying down somewhere for a while because it had some roots emerging from it's side. This got me wondering about the benefits of letting it grow horizontally. I think i remember hearing that it has the possibility of giving off more pups and so providing for a bigger plant in the long run but with the drawback of taking more energy to grow and taking longer to grow. But my memory is not what it used to be.

Anyone wish to clear this up for me?

Oh and before anyone says utfse, I tried and I'm afraid that I got nothing/haven't gotten used to it.

Cheers.

Edited by Quilliam

Yeah you are right but log cuts look so cool when they have pups shooting up out of them.. Quilliam what clone is it? or is it an unanamed?

Umm not really sure would have to ask YT. Might post a pic, it's tip is growing upwards at a almost 90 degree angle so I was thinking of running a poll on what corroborators reckon I should do. Cut off the tip,grow horizontal, grow vertical or any combination of those.Bu i dunno. Thought it might be interesting

I would probably cut the tip and callous and let it root, then split the rib cut straight down the center and callous both halves and then let them both root as logs.

DW

down the vacular? can you do that? split it into 2???

i have a section with the pup in my avatar and its 4 foot down the end tip is 3 inch reaching for the sky...

don't know what to do...

Edited by C_T

Mate Four foot is a lot to play with, cut into 1' sections root all of them out the mid cuts will pup pretty quick. If you do do the split log 'yes it does work!' and invariably it will pup IME no more than the midcut log in vertical but it looks good. there is a lot of surface area beneath for roots to form, If i can get a camera I will photograph my pach cut like this hass two pups on it and a third which has stalled as a button , I have already taken a couple of pups off also...

best of luck - you can't lose either way, but if you plant the whole four feet as one stem I think you are reducing your potential!

DW

Ummmm scanning memory banks.... :wink:

Im pritty sure its either an Eileen or standard bridge, prolly Eileen from memory was a mix of half and half lucky dip n all that :lol:

Down the middle vascular does work but from experience planting vertical as oppposed to horizontal does seem to accumulate more biomass, got several trichos down as logs they grow well and do pup but not as much as the same clones that are vertical with exactly the same ferts/soil& growing position (sunlight etc)

Best bet would be to cut it about 10cms or so after the 90 degree angle so as to have enough to plant as a log but with the tip still growing vertically, then plant the other cut (after both have calloused) vert or if you are feeling adventurous cut in half again and plant one half horizontal and one half vertical and compare the growth in the next season.

should have a decent root ball by winter anyway they been hanging for some soil for months now

Edited by -YT-

Yeah I think I'm gonna have to go with YT on this one, pretty much cos that's what I was thinking of doing anyhow. I reckon it was one of the standard bridgesiis. Cheers all.

I wanted to join in on this

from playing around with both vertical and horizontal lo cuts

I agree that the vertical are healthier and faster growing from my experience.

I've got my theories as to the "how and why?" mechanisms

well don't just tease us........ Theories?

lay em down, stand em up, kick em over, whatever, cactus are freaks and will just grow any way, even upside down...they are the masters of adaption. I don't think there is any one way that is better than another to tell the truth, I've dropped cactus cuts and left them where they landed and a month later there is 2 pups and tons of roots emanating from the underside.

Some say the tilt method is the best or straight up with an angular cut...but seriously it doesn't really matter, as long as there is some soil to throw a root into they will grow, they will even pup and keep growing without even being planted.

lay em down, stand em up, kick em over, whatever, cactus are freaks and will just grow any way, even upside down...they are the masters of adaption. I don't think there is any one way that is better than another to tell the truth, I've dropped cactus cuts and left them where they landed and a month later there is 2 pups and tons of roots emanating from the underside.

Some say the tilt method is the best or straight up with an angular cut...but seriously it doesn't really matter, as long as there is some soil to throw a root into they will grow, they will even pup and keep growing without even being planted.

Yeah plants are pretty amazing,cacti's hardiness especially stuns me.

My piece of wisdom for the week; Plants want to grow.