The Corroboree
ferret

Acacia obtusifolia cutting

Any update of progress in growth and development of cuttings??

One of the things I'm curious about is whether there would be much or any advantage to propagation via cuttings. The fact that it's a bit of a challenge propagating most acacias vegetatively (and natives in general), and the fact that they by adaptation shoot out a really long and deep tap root upon germination to ensure stablility and access to water\nutrients in shit soil, makes me wonder whether it's worthwhile.

Great thread, I will be definately needing the info/links given here.

Great news!

What time of year did you take successful cuttings? Could prolly figure it from post dates but it would be handy to have a range stated for easy reference.

What type of material were the successful cuttings take from? Soft, semi-hard or hard? Looks like a semi-hard cutting in the pic.

first successful cutting was taken in late spring, second was in late summer. semi-hardwood.

Any update of progress in growth and development of cuttings??

One of the things I'm curious about is whether there would be much or any advantage to propagation via cuttings. The fact that it's a bit of a challenge propagating most acacias vegetatively (and natives in general), and the fact that they by adaptation shoot out a really long and deep tap root upon germination to ensure stablility and access to water\nutrients in shit soil, makes me wonder whether it's worthwhile.

not sure how the cuttings are faring, looking forward to checking in on them soon. will be good to compare them to seedlings germinated around the same time. i suppose the biggest advantage with vegetative propagation would be for species with variable alkaloid profiles.

Nice work mate!

Is the PDF you were talking about in earlier post a tek on growing Acacia from cuttings?

no i don't think they used any acacia's in their experiment, i don't have to pdf anymore since my portable hard drive shat itself but they found the technique produced roots faster and more reliably with a range of species, from memory they used some myrtaceae and rutaceae species, amongst others..

So what's the theory behind diluting the hormone with acetone ?

Is it for greater penetration of the hormone or just to adjust the concentration of hormones ?

I would describe my chemistry background as basicunsure.gif stopped studying chem at uni before I realised how useful it could beslap.gif

Access to the journal article should be no worries but where to get the chemicals to actually try this myself is another questionhuh.gif

drool2.gif The prospect of being able to take cuttings of my fav Acacia's is just too good, where might I acquire such chemicals and does doing so attract attention?

Peace

yeah, i think the solvent probably allows greater uptake of the hormone.

getting the IBA is no problem at all, google supergrow, a dude in canada.

if you can i reckon using bottom heat will speed things along. thankfully i have got the full pdf of the article again, so give me a holla if anyone wants me to email you a copy.

please post back with your results.

I hope you guys pull it off!

:wink:

Just used the powder from bunnings to do some phleb, now wishing I read over this thread.

yeah man ive been bitterly disappointed by every powder i try. if i was you i would go and grab some rootex-G , its a gel, mix 2 parts gel to 1 part acetone and re-treat those cuttings. could also try the rootex liquid, straight at 4g/L, from memopry it smells like its got some kind of solvent in there..

Just acquired all the chemicals to give this a go, all I need now is for my

Acacia's to get big enough to allow me to take cuttings.

Are there any places in SA where these Acacia's have naturalised? I'm itching to give it a go.

Might even practice on some non-ethno's I already have here.

I'll post photo's if successful.

Photos are of my only surviving obtusifolia.

post-7432-128763158477_thumb.jpg

post-7432-128763160399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sola

Put about 40 cuttings down this morning ranging from semi-hard to soft, 3 to 6 nodes. There in a dedicated propagation room with automated humidity, temperature and bottom heat control.

Just gotta keep the fungus gnats out now :P.

how they lookin Harry?

here's my original cutting now, not really the most amazing growth over a year but she's still kickin at least

post-251-0-55709900-1294366236_thumb.jpg

Nice job man, it's looking pretty healthy and happy from here. Are the others around it seed grown?

its pretty much an established little plant now! B)

yep the others are from seed, - mt jackson narrow acuminata and south coast obtusi. i have one other obtusi cutting that has grown a single phyllode since winter..

Just took pics this morn to post :)

Out of all the cuttings I took only 1 has thrown roots and another 7 are calusing. Heated benches stopped working about a week in and fungus gnats have taken hold so I lost a few to them. Might have had a bit to much acetone in the hormone gel as all the dipped ends have died back about 3mm and those that have a calused have done so above the dead bit.

Pics!

med_gallery_2785_1_940764.jpg

med_gallery_2785_1_544868.jpg

Image uploading has changed? Have to do for now :rolleyes:

What type and strength hormone/s did you use Harry?

Clonex purple gel, IBA 4g/L. Approx 3/2 gel to acetone. That was the aim anyway, was more like 1/1 lol.

It comes in 4g/L? interesting. I've got 3g/L and 8g/L here. What was the acetone used for?

med_gallery_2785_1_940764.jpg

ahey! nice work man. now we just gotta work on the strike rate..

Wow 8g/L! Strong stuff :) Re the acetone see post 31 & 33 of this thread trip :wink:

:) comes down to material and time of year I think. To many contributing factors with my attempt to narrow the field any, especially the fungus gnats and the heated benches breaking down.

Three node semi-hard cuttings seemed to hold on the best under the conditions I have my cuttings.

Will give this another crack :)

Edited by Harry

I'll have to read that article again.

The 8g/L is powder, not gel. Supposed to be for hardwood cuttings. Will give it and the gel a go on some obtusifolia and sassafras cuttings when I'm back from NZ.

i wonder if the use of a fungicide and/or a non-organic planting medium would help with the die-back of the base of the cutting,?

harry cheers for the success!