The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

HELP! MEALY BUGS!!!

Tobacco & Garlic is ok but they get used to it! It will decrease the amount of insects but you wont kill them all with this! Try adding some Neem to the Mix! I´d also add some Soap to the mix in order to kill them! But be careful that you dont overdose on soap! bye Eg

Man I'm not spray freaking soap on my Peyotes.

I understand that! But the insects wont go away from alone! Unparfumed pure Soap is a ingredient in some organic insecticides and should be pretty safe! I used it many times on more rare and vulnerable plants than peyote! But hey, i wont take the blame if they change color to blue! :P

What would happen to the bugs if you removed all moisture from the environment? I know dust might can be killed off by a lack of moisture. Maybe you could seal your cacti in a room and run a dehumidifier for a few weeks. The drop in humidity could kill off the bugs. Eventually, the cacti would loose some of their moisture and their alkaloids would concentrate-maybe killing the bugs off.

There also might be a(high or low) temperature that would kill the bugs, but not the cacti.

I used it many times on more rare and vulnerable plants than peyote!

Really? Such as...?

I just bought Castile Peppermint Soap, Supreme Neem oil and 2 pounds of Diatomaceous Earth from here.

I hope it's ok to post that link.... is it?

Edited by Teotz'

Such as...?

Tropicals and Orchids! Also on all kind of Cacti! But if you dont wanna risk it, try neem! If that hasnt worked, then you can still try something deadlier! bye Eg

I have also used soap on my roses for aphids etc.. & other leafy plants, the main thing is not to do it in full sun or it can burn them

The added bonus is that its easily washed off with water once the pests have died unlike oil based products

Teotz your idea with the spray paint and lighter is along the same lines as how i controlled the ant farming on my sunflowers, with fly spray and a lighter, no more bugs but unfortunately no more sunflowers :( haha so yeah you can't do it safely

EG's idea is bang on: "Try adding some Neem to the Mix! I´d also add some Soap to the mix in order to kill them!"

I've used this many times on other succulents with good success.

Well... I just bought Castile Peppermint Soap, Supreme Neem oil and 2 pounds of Diatomaceous Earth from here.

Hopefully it will be here soon and it will help.

What do you guys think of those products and that vendor?

(*Note*- Mods if this type of discussion is not allowed please let me know.)

To insects DE is a lethal dust with microscopic razor sharp edges. These sharp edges cut through the insect's protective covering drying it out and killing them when they are either dusted with DE or if it applied as a wettable powder spray.If they ingest the DE it will shred their insides.

Nice! :wink:

Teotz, but make sure that you wear a P2 or P3 Dustmask with particle Filter! That dust has similarities to Asbestos and the particle size should be not far away from that! bye Eg

Teotz, but make sure that you wear a P2 or P3 Dustmask with particle Filter! That dust has similarities to Asbestos and the particle size should be not far away from that!

You mean with Diatomaceous Earth? They say the shit is edible! Is this true? Can you eat Diatomaceous Earth? It is said to have detoxify effects! It does say however to make sure you don't inhale it... will this really hurt me?

On a side note.... is Neem oil edible? Can it be ingested orally by humans?

Edited by Teotz'

Its very likely that its edible! Sounds as edible as any other dirt for me! If breathing hurts you has to do with the particle size! If they are so small that your lung cant filter them out, then you can get something like asbestosis from heavy intake! The Problem is that there is no way but microscopy to tell how small the particles are!

I dont know if Neem Oil is edible! Its definately not that toxic because you use it on animals against parasites! But i´d be careful with an Oil which was not sold for consumtion! They usually arent food grade! But the fact that its "cold pressed" is a good start! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Thanks Evil Genius, your info is always awesome.

Could I not just mix it with a little water so it's not all dusty???

I have heard that both Diatomaceous Earth and Neem oil are both safe and edible.

Exactly! Moisten it a little bit before you use it! I do this all the time when i work with dusty soil! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Alright I got everything.

I was think I would just mix some water, neem oil and some organic soap in a spray bottle and spray it on all my cacti... does this sound good?

Could this damage them in anyway?

I was also going to mist them and sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth all over them.

If there is anything I should do different, let me know!

All good! Make sure that the soap is unperfumed! You get unperfumed soap in the apothecary and in household stores! The translated name for the soap is "soft soap" and the chemist should know it by that name!

If you are unsure if your soft soap contains perfume, smell it! :wink: Unperfumed soap should smell very neutral!

The Latin name on my soap from the apothecary says SAPO KALINUS! It looks a little bit like honey! Maybe this helps! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Make sure that the soap is unperfumed! You get unperfumed soap in the apothecary and in household stores! The translated name for the soap is "soft soap" and the chemist should know it by that name!

I got like special botanical soap, I told you. It's called Castile Peppermint Soap! See!

This soap is so gentle it is ideal for horticultural applications and everyday needs. Other advantages is that it helps soften hard water and it dissolves dirt rather than cutting it. The peppermint and rosemary give it a refreshing scent.

Ingredients: Water, Coconut Oil, Hemp Oil, Olive Oil, Olive Fatty Acids, Glycerin, Peppermint and Rosemary Oils

This stuff defiantly smells! It smells GREAT!

Edited by Teotz'

okay I thought it was mealy bugs but the pic would suggest otherwise, I did a search for help but this thread was the best I could find (and i'm lazy)

white spots all over my cacti and spreading rapidly, very small 1-2mm raised with darker brownish in middle.

also while I'm asking should I worry about the ants nesting in my P Red torches roots?

okay I thought it was mealy bugs but the pic would suggest otherwise, I did a search for help but this thread was the best I could find (and i'm lazy)

white spots all over my cacti and spreading rapidly, very small 1-2mm raised with darker brownish in middle.

also while I'm asking should I worry about the ants nesting in my P Red torches roots?

Sounds like scale to me. Ive found the best thing for this is to frequently brush them off with your fingers. That's if they're not in hard to reach places. Otherwise a toothebrush can work pretty well.

I don't think the ants are too much of an issue. If anything they would be benfitial with other pests. Dunno if anyone else has different experence with this.

I don't think the ants are too much of an issue. If anything they would be benfitial with other pests. Dunno if anyone else has different experence with this.

I have ants in my greenhouse, they don't seem to be a problem but they do like biting my feet and stealing my cactus fruits & seeds.

With an isolated attack (only one cactus infested) I once successfully addressed a cactus mealy bug problem by removing all the soil and disposing of it in the trash, spraying off the roots, then cleaning the roots with a toothbrush. I don't recall if I added dilute soap or anything at the time, but it was many years ago. I'd imagine adding DE to the new soil mix and using dilute Dr. Bronners soap or a spray of neem oil on the roots once they'd dried and healed up a bit from the brushing abuse could be even more of a precaution against the mealies returning. I hate mealy bugs almost as much as spider mites.

Okay. I apologise in advance for my bluntness because I've been out dancing and drinking and it's past 4am.

If you're natural alternatives fail (and they probably will), you will need to use chemicals.

Mealy bugs damn near damaged everything I had. From Psychotrias, Cathas, multiple succulents, and so many ornamentals.

Chemicals. Use them but use them properly. Use a systemic and apply it as directed - stick to the intervals recommened like gospal (an example of a systemic is Rogor).

Also use a contact - doesn't matter what type really. You can use your natural ones like nicotine and garlic if you want, or use pyrethroids, whatever. But you need em to kill the ants who are farming those mealies.

If I didn't use these and use em properly I would have basically lost everything. Treat em like antibiotics - use em properly, otherwise you're just promoting resistance.

Teotz-

If you have no plans on eating your plants, you'll take IndigoSunrises advice and use a foliar systemic spray.

I use a concentrated liquid systemic made by Ortho that mixes with water & is sprayed on the affected plants.