The Corroboree
Guest homoGenius

Psylocibe tea vs eating??

Guest homoGenius

Can anyone give a learned opinion as to whether making a tea up from dried Psylocibes is just as effective as eating the shrooms themselves??

I don't want to waste a small amount of material that was gifted to me but the tea idea is **HEAPS** more appealing to me!

the tea will be rapidly absorbed by an empty stomach, making it quicker in onset, duration and in turn, intensity.

eating whole and slower, longer and mild, eating powder in in between the other two.

i did this in a country where legal, hope you are too...

Foaf would say almost as effective with the almost being negligible.

Tea is like a rocket ship to the moon strap urself in where as eating them is much more gentle in the come up & the taste does get more tolerable after a while a Foaf informs me.

So put on the keetle.

don't know the answer to your question but i've got a suggestion:

put your teabag in water, drink the product, then put the teabag in fresh water, and repeat as many times as you want. after a few goes, if you are missing out on anything, it must be such a tiny amount..... and maybe you'll be glad for any reduced effects hehehehe. you might miss out on some tiny amount but think about all of the fungus you didn't have to consume. well worthy.

IMHO strained tea or eaten whole are the only ideal options, several times i have had powder caught in my throat during the trip, from drinking unstrained tea.

onset is pretty rough with tea, probably best to drink it over half an hour or more.

Powder them in a coffee grinder then mix with juice.

The juice seems to hide the gritty texture of the shrooms and makes the dosing much smoother... so I've been told that is.

Stir and gulp, stir and gulp. I don't think anyone finds this part pleasant but stir and gulp and it will only take 10-15 seconds. Fill a schooner glass with juice and stir the powder into that. Don't try and mix it with a mouth full of juce as half of it will be left in your throat on the way down. Full schooner mixed in glides down!

Wash down anything left in your glass as well as in your throat with a lil water, then take your place and wait for the show to get under way!

Just accept that its going to be a lil yuk and step up. Its the apprehension that makes it worse. Accept it and its never as bad as you think. The first mouthfull is the worst its all down hill after that. Pour it straight down your throat, guzzle guzzle guzzle. Don't take mouth fulls or you'll be flicken bits of soggy mushy out from every nook and crany behind your teeth till you next trip.

You get used to it but ya sorta don't at the same time. Sounds like mushies all over to me... err, so I've heard.

Best method i have found to date....

First collect an amount of psilocybes you are comfortable with consuming, leave whole or chop roughly and DROP into an acid solution consisting mainly of HCl, and small quantities of KCl and NaCl that is heated to around 37c. ;)

but yeh, with the dried up mushies, either cap em or what harry said, the juice will hide the texture and flavour, just skoll it down.

I realy dont see what the problem is with mushies, they really dont taste that bad compared to some other "consumables"

First collect an amount of psilocybes you are comfortable with consuming, leave whole or chop roughly and DROP into an acid solution consisting mainly of HCl, and small quantities of KCl and NaCl that is heated to around 37c. ;)
:lol:
I realy dont see what the problem is with mushies, they really dont taste that bad compared to some other "consumables"
Same here, when I first tried them no one instructed me to think they taste bad, I ate em and :shroomer::blink::drool2: not instantly recognized as yummy but a quickly acquired taste for me, all like earthy and stuff, hell I wish ice cream came in that flavor (legal ice cream :wink: ) Later when I heard friends piss and moan about the flavor I had to wonder if they got funky mushies or somethin.

Anyway, I'm surprised people usually talk about tea versus eating as a either-or deal, I never tried it but wouldnt taking half the dose one way and the other half the other way prolong the peak?

The one advantage of making a tea is that it kills off any nasties that may have accumulated on the shrooms either in the wild or after picking.

I have always noticed, in the case of P. subaeruginosa, less bodily discomfort and weird stuff going on physically with tea as opposed to eating them. Not sure what the reasoning is for this but thats just what I noticed.

When I was overseas, I used to just chop the dry mushrooms up with scissors, like weed, and then put them into '0' capsules. You can fit half a gram per cap, easy.

You're still 'eating' them, just not tasting them. :wink:

Take one every half hour until satisfied. :lol:

"Anyway, I'm surprised people usually talk about tea versus eating as a either-or deal, I never tried it but wouldnt taking half the dose one way and the other half the other way prolong the peak?"

Foaf loves this method cup of tea then eat some in full flight mind blowing & prolongs trip he has been known to eat more on the comedown to get almost back to the peak.

Powder them in a coffee grinder then mix with juice.

The juice seems to hide the gritty texture of the shrooms and makes the dosing much smoother... so I've been told that is.

Stir and gulp, stir and gulp. I don't think anyone finds this part pleasant but stir and gulp and it will only take 10-15 seconds. Fill a schooner glass with juice and stir the powder into that. Don't try and mix it with a mouth full of juce as half of it will be left in your throat on the way down. Full schooner mixed in glides down!

Wash down anything left in your glass as well as in your throat with a lil water, then take your place and wait for the show to get under way!

Yeap, works very well. Might want a toothpick for some of the grit depending on how fine the powder is :shroomer:

hey shruman your double method dosage really intrests me i think i might have to research it bit it the near future :shroomer::)

multiple dosing does work, so long as your still more or less tripping when you go for more, an extra dose the next day will be far less effective.

Capsules are a brilliant method. i've found dry powder with any sort of beverage becomes throffy and really yuck to swallow, i still manage though. Capsules are ideal. Tea def. comes on faster, i agree with amulte that powder comes on pretty fast also. Again a lot is a matter of tolerance and frequency of use. and having an empty stomache helps.

Also depends wat sort of experience u want. I love a good dose in a tea, it really just takes you away and u need to lay the fuck down for a while.

I'm talking about consuming the legal but deadly poisonous LBM's scattered in forrests, so best to use the proper ones in a country where legal

like above tea is much more likely to kick your arse...also with capsules you should find they are great for long time storage with FA degredation

It sounds like 'dried' mushrooms dergade faster than powder or extract?

Psilocybin is a phenolic phosphate ester prone to hydrolysis and the product of hydrolysis, psylocin, is sensitive to oxidation. So could it be that 'dried' mushrooms still contain too much water whereas powder and extract are dry, so what if mushrooms are desiccated til they're nearly anhydrous and stored in a sealed, desiccated jar?

Melt chocolate on low heat, stir in powdered mushrooms, let set. Bon appetit!

Yeah I heard that the chocolate approach is good. Tastes like that cadbury crunchy chocolate so I've heard. Yum Yum!

You could do a cold water tea - this is one approach suggested to me by an old hunter to make use of the not-so-nice looking old shrooms you get when hunting, but you collect anyway - this was the very basic recipe.

Go to the cake decorating section of Coles and buy 'Tartaric Acid'' - it comes in a small shaker container.

Dissolve about a tablespoon to about half a litre of luke warm water. This is only a rough estimate, it doesnt seem to affect it too much if you adjust the measurements. Remember thought the tartaric acid is *very* bitter and you do end up drinking the final product so don't go overboard.

To this solution, stir in half an ice cream container of the old and weathered looking shrooms (in this case it was subs), roughly chopped up.

Gently stir every few hours, squeezing the bits of shrooms as you stir and allow the mix to sit overnight.

The next day strain off the juice using muslin cheese cloth, then again through paper towel or something else thats fine enough to filter out the smaller particles.

You should be left with a clear liquid thats extremely strong - one shot glass full of this used to be enough for a very strong experience. The flavour could be improved by mixing the final product with your favourite cordial.

The key to doing this successfully is the stirring and the straining part of the process - because the actives are so susceptible to oxidation, its vitally important you agitate the mixture as little as possible when stirring and straining - introducing too much air into the liquid ruins the final product- basically the more blue the solution goes, the worse you did your extraction as this is evidence of oxidation of the goodies.

When straining do it very slowly and gently, and have the liquid run gently down the SIDE of the vessel your straining into - to minimise the amount of agitation and air getting into the mix.

It stores well in the fridge in a light proof container - light will also degrade your goodies. :)

Interesting...

So what purpose does the tartaric acid serve hypha? Does this form a tartaric salt of the goodies?

I failed chemistry at uni.... :(

I wish I knew the exact chemical equation - perhaps we can throw it up in the chem section to see if someone with more knowledge on the subject can shed some light, all I know is it works really really well when done properly.

I was thinking that this might be a way of increasing the efficiency of existing extraction tequniques and maybe improve stability for storage.

Ever tried reducing the tea's volume to see what falls out of solution?

No I never did, but if you could evaporate the water without bringing the temp up too much it may be interesting.

Im not sure how you would go about that either though.

The thing about the agitation degrading the goodies is easily demonstrated by simply putting a small amount of the extract in another bottle, shaking it vigorously and watching the colour change - it goes a deep blue, and I found this to be far less potent.

The key really was to do everything as gently as possible.

Have you tried this process with dried mushies? Apparently the blueing doesn't occur with extractions done using dried fruits. Something to ponder. If this were legal I would give it a whirl :wink:

two immediate benefits I'd see to tartaric acid is it'd help prevent the psilocybin from being immobilized as a calcium salt and it'd greatly reduce or stop growth of fungal contaminants- important if its not being pasteurized