The Corroboree
Reamers

alternative to glove box

Hi All,

I have been reading about an interesting alternative to a glove box, Apparently a sealed clear plastic bag where the objects are manipulated from the outside of the bag works just as well.

Has anyone had any sucess with this method?

Cheers,

Hi Reamers,

I used to use a fishtank with a perspex front and big red gloves. it was a real pain in the ass. I would try and fit as many jars into the box as possible and at times it would be hard ti fit my hands in.

What I have done since I broke the glovebox is just work quick and use lots of alcohol spray. I do mainly agar transfers and transfers into grain jars. so far everything has been ok.

If you are using agar use h2o2 in the agar and everything should be ok.

If you are using syringes and spores just work quick and flame your itools. & spray alcohol everywhere.

good luck :)

The bag sounds hard... a glove box takes 5 mins to make.... get a cardboard box, cut holes for hands and sticky tape glad wrap on top.... They are so easy I even chuck them out afterwards.

But like water dragon I barely use one at all. Just close windows give a quick glen 20 spray and make sure my stuff is organised so im not leaving stuff open to the air.

Agreed.

I've just had my first mushroom grow which turned out quite a success.

Spray isopropanol over everything, make sure you autoclave, work under your range-hood in the kitchen, wear gloves, use sterile water and work quickly.

No need for a box.

No glovebox?? I don't know... you guys are making this seem too easy.

I've read alot on mushroom teks and there's alot to learn. I mean what happenned to the need for a dust free clean room irradiated with UV light; not to mention the shaving of your entire body of hair, having an enema, and washing with solvol soap and spraying yourself with alcohol prior to even touching anything mycological?

;)

I can remember reading a tek that recomended you clean the whole house and work in the bathroom spraying bleach and wiping the walls and ceiling.

my bathroom probably needs it, but Mycology is fiddly enough without all the extra stuff.

:)

Brocci boxes,gloves,clear plastic film and a hot glue gun are a good start and easy to clean, though they're light,small and fiddly..plus there are pores in the stryofoam.

I'm currently in the midst of building a perspex glove-box for gourmet shrooms and thinking of incorporating an exhaust fan and a new hepa filter from a vacuum cleaner to further extend the abilities of the cabinet.

It measures 700 x 450 x 400 so as to fit a cooled P.C. and accommodate other uses if need be.

post-300-1168004015_thumb.jpgpost-300-1168003722_thumb.jpg

Once I get a total price, I'd possibly consider offering them as a DIY kit with instructions....but then I'm probably getting ahead of myself :P

Glove_Box_002.jpg

Glove_Box_003.jpg

Glove_Box_002.jpg

Glove_Box_003.jpg

Edited by mescalito

Damn Mesc - That looks like a ripper of a glove box you got happening! If you have plans, please share! :worship:

Damn Mesc - That looks like a ripper of a glove box you got happening! If you have plans, please share! :worship:

Agree Ace, that box looks the bomb :o

But then again, a quick spray of misted isopropyl in a newly cleaned bathroom/kitchen seems to have worked for me fine, and I doubt i'll ever use a box.