The Corroboree
eeroborroc

Nurofen Plus

hmmm from what i understand, they used to be like that, but they were changed and are no longer half half.

stuff

Edited by spudamore

hmmm from what i understand, they used to be like that, but they were changed and are no longer half half.

yeah, you are right. N+ is no longer splitable.

I always figured that this was a myth, for the simple reason that they would be more expensive to produce that way. What reason could they possibly have for doing half-half?

You wouldn't really want to make a mistake and overdose on ibuprofen. It may not be as deadly as paracetamol, but it damages the stomach (as does aspirin) at indicated doses, so one would expect it to do significant damage even at the 'safe' dose that is mentioned on that link.

A med student I know was sitting in with her GP preceptor when a guy came in with severe stomach pains. The routine diagnosis questions were asked and the guy mentioned he was taking nurofen plus. It turned out he was addicted to them, taking 3+ packets a day and the guy ended up on the methadone program to kick the nurofen!

Stay away the the nurofen... bad nurofen... mess you up :blink:

I always figured that this was a myth, for the simple reason that they would be more expensive to produce that way. What reason could they possibly have for doing half-half?

I had heard that codiene & iboprufen will not bind together?

But obviously, A way around this problem has been found

as N+ appears no longer splittable.

Bluelight has a wealth of info on these questions here,

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?...threadid=153393

And here,

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=266367

Edited by DreamingNagual

Here are the cold, hard, rotten facts about this stuff:

The tablets were splittable up until about April 2005.

Codeine does not bind with ibuprofen. The N+ Side was 12.8mg codeine, mixed with a binder like corn starch or lactose or something.

A bunch of do-gooders (7th day adventists, or mormons or some other churchy group) filed a law suit against Boots Pharmaceuticals and lobbied them to change their pill formula/structure. Boots were well aware of the splittability of their pills and deliberately didn't change it in order to cash in on the codeine addicts market. The lobbyists eventually won and Boots were forced to change their pills.

The change was first seen with the release of the 72 packs about April 2005. New packaging, the pills are compressed harder than ever and were not made up of 2 joined halves. They had found a way to mix the two and make them hold together. :(

I actually have purchased nearly all the old packs in Sydney. I am a delivery driver, so I have the advantage of being able to hit many many chemists a day. I have about 40 chemists I used to regularly visit. Eventually, one by one, they all ran out of the old packs. I know of only 2 chemists in sydney who still have them and I ain't telling where they are. I personally have purchased around 1000 packs, 50000 pills at a cost of approx $15,000. There are none left in my stash....

I got away with this because I am a very clean-cut looking gentleman kind of bloke, I speak very well and always paid CASH. I know what to say to the pharmacist to buy multiple packs. "Yes sir, I own a trucking company and I need 9x 24 packs to fit in the first-aid kits in my trucks, damned if I know what the guys do with them but they keep disappearing. I'm trying to figure it out myself, but I gotta keep the fitst-aid kits stocked up for the OH&S rules.... Oh and can I get a receipt please!"

Cold water extraction with the new pills simply doesn't work. I don't know what they have done exactly, but it cannot be done. Any inside info on this would be great. If you wish to do a CWE for codeine, use chemists own paracetamol pills 100x pack. Start with Ice cold water and learn the signs of paracetamol poisoning before you start because it'll probably happen.

Recently I have switched to taking complete N+ tablets to stave off my addiction. They severely fuck your stomach up hard. Do not do this!!!! I only take them now to get rid of the runny nose, bone aches/pain, typical opiate WD's. I know I need subutex or methadone to detox but I am too proud to go to a doctor and ask for help.

Stay the fuck away from this evil thing. It has taken over my life in a bad way.

Get hooked on something else.

Please forgive me for my skepticism. If you are genuine, then don't take this personally, but I don't know you so your personal anecdote could just be a story for all I know, and there are some things that just don't gel for me.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims that N+ used to be splittable? Maybe an article from a reputable source.

Even if the two chemicals somehow do not 'bind' together, what's to prevent them mixing them with a binding agent. Dried fruit and oats do not chemically bind to each other, but when I buy a museli bar it is not half fruit and half oats. they are mixed evenly with a binding agent.

Let's assume that they do not 'bind' together. How do they stick the two halves together?

Like I said earlier, it would be incredibly expensive to make two seperate half-pills and then glue them together. I still don't buy it.

I wish I did have some proof, but I ate it.

I have no reason to make it up though & I probably should not have said what I said here, but they are no longer being manufactured and supply is almost impossible now so I have nothing to lose.

I am annoyed that I opened up here with my deepest darkest secret and you ask for proof?

What sort of proof do you want. I took shitloads of these pills and got whacked daily on them, for years. and fucked up my life.. spent a LOT of money I couldn't afford to spend.

Ask a heroin addict to prove that heroin is real, capable of destroying lives, etc.

N+ really were manufactured in 2 halves prior to April 2005.

--- <end /rant> ---

If you can find some in the old packaging, buy them and try it. They are damn near impossible to find now.

Off the top of my head, The batch numbers that were splittable were: 1c 3c 7c 10a 12a,b,c 13a 14b 31b 33c 35c

All the old batches had 2 red stripes on the front of the box, moving away from the centre circle logo.

The Use-By date should be mid to late 2008. The new batches are 2007, so going by that, I think they have changed the binder and/or the preservative in the process of making the new pills unsplittable.

To split them you just get a stanley knife, and gently apply pressure lengthways along the flat edge. The N+ side comes out a convex shape, and the ibuprofen side comes out as a concave shape. They are both wrapped in an incredibly thin layer of a paper like substance which can be peeled off if you ever wanted to. I assume this to to help hold the pill together to some degree.

The Codeine side is also a slight yellow colour, off-white and tastes incredibly bitter. When you drop this into water it will puff up and explode in about 5 seconds, into a yellowy fluffy substance, and send the water a slight yellow colour.

The Ibuprofen side is white, chalky and you can actually draw on a rough surface with it, like chalk. It has no taste, and will not dissolve in cold water very easily at all. It will dissolve in hot water in about 45 minutes.

There were some batches that I assume were experimental, because they came just before the packaging change, and they were bound together a bit tighter where they were joined, but still in 2 halves. If you hit these with the knife the codeine side would crumble.

To separate those ones, you drop the entire pill in water, and the paper layer peels it'self off like it is in acid, then the yellow N+ side puffs up as above and you will be left with a very clean concave ibuprofen pill that can be picked out of the water.

Add 23 more pills to the glass, pick the Ibu's out with a spoon. Add cordial and drink it up.

I think at the time when they decided to make them in 2 halves, they were not a very big company, and they were one of the first to put ibuprofen on the market. They probably did not have the technology or the funds / time to figure out how to bind ibu and codeine so it was possibly a matter of "this will do... until we figure out a better way"

Either that, or they knew exactly what they were doing, getting people hooked on the stuff and making profit. After all, without profit, nobody would bother manufacturing any kind of drugs would they...

Edited by Big George

I never asked for proof you are an addict. I asked for prove that the tablets were splittable. And I never said that you are making this up, just that you could be. Again, I don't know you.

I still don't know wtf they would have issues combining the two substances. They're two powders. Mix them with a binding agent. What's the problem? It's not like there's an issue like mixing water with oil. If you mix powders, they're going to stay mixed. Show me an article from a science/medical journal that states why they can't be mixed. Show me a news item documenting the law suit that forced the pharmaceutical company to change the pills. I will be quite happy if you can show me this. But don't expect me to just take your word for it.

Dude, I got fed panadene forte by my dentist for over a year. Sumtimes up to 2-3 packs a weeks, combined with lots of OTC N+ (I must admit I never even noticed they were splitable :blush: ) Eventually when I finally got in to the hospital for my wisdom teeth, I only took 2 tabs that night for the discomfort, not the pain. And I still got 2 packs sitting there over a year later. I really didn't notice any WD and was just pleased as punch to be normal again and not head fuct all day. I had worried that maybe I was addicted, but it appears that because they were taken for genuine pain, addiction did not form. Or maybe I'm part of that 7% of the western population whose body cannot convert codine to morphine?

If u want morphine (thats wat ur really addicted too) then just grow urself sum pippies, I even saw an indoor/hydro guide around sumwhere. Wean urself off by smoking O, don't go methadone! It's fuct for ur body!!! Go searching around now, I've found several wild poppies growing all around town and in the bush.

Maybe "Take a 1/2 a gram of Pharothyme" and u won't want to take them anymore?

I know a 30+year sober heroin addict and he just went cold turkey and lots of pot!!! Hash is also very helpful! Get too stoned to do anything for a few weeks while that shit works it's way out ur body.

If not, go get a toothache and stop fucking ur guts with IBP

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims that N+ used to be splittable? Maybe an article from a reputable source.

yes they were splittable. i have done it myself.

I still don't know wtf they would have issues combining the two substances. They're two powders. Mix them with a binding agent. What's the problem? It's not like there's an issue like mixing water with oil. If you mix powders, they're going to stay mixed. Show me an article from a science/medical journal that states why they can't be mixed. Show me a news item documenting the law suit that forced the pharmaceutical company to change the pills. I will be quite happy if you can show me this. But don't expect me to just take your word for it.

They were definetly splittable, and as far as i know many chemists in SA still have old stock. reading bluelight suggests that the reason is becuase ibuprofen and codeine isn't a stable combination hence keeping them separate.. I'm not qualified in this area tho, try google i guess..

JayJ, PM me if you wanna do a little shopping on my behalf.... :D

My best guess as to why they can't stick the two together is because the codeine side seems to be a lot less compact than the ibu side, also the codeine side is very sensitive to anything damp. Large fluffy particles don't stick to small compact particles too well.

Perhaps when they were developing the first product, the pills kept falling apart when they mixed the two. I can only guess as to why based on my experience.

I doubt you will find the information published online anywhere. Do some searching yourself if you want proof. I know what my experience was with this product, and it was splittable and there was no codeine on one side of the pills. Thats all the proof I need.

Here ya's go! To put an end to this I found 1 stray N+ from 2 years ago.(Lucky! Only 1 left in the pack) I placed it into a small glass of cold water and as Big george describe, the coating peeled off, the N+ side bubbled and became yellow before disolving into the water leaving a slightly concave side of (presumably) Ibuprofen undisolved as can be seen in the pics below.

Half pictured next to a whole modern N+:

th_54390_DSC03794_122_463lo.JPGth_54395_DSC03795_122_449lo.JPGth_54399_DSC03796_122_454lo.JPGth_54404_DSC03797_122_548lo.JPG

th_54411_DSC03798_122_368lo.JPG

NOTE: I just tried this with a modern N+ and it still disolved really easy, just the whole tab this time. However, a large quantity of the material has settled on the bottom. This I think is most likely mostly undisolved IBP. If u syphoned the top cloudy water layer off of the solids I rekon you would have left most of the IBP on the bottom of the glass with the filler materials, Save the Syphoned liquid, throw the undisolved shit. Hell, if ur eating them whole anyways, wat have u got to loose by trying this? You (BG) prob be the best to judge if it was a successful extraction. Do it and see if u get ur desired effects without the undesirable IBP effects.

Edited by naja naja

Thanks Naja. I'm pretty much convinced now due to your experiment and the general consensus here. I never actually said that they definately weren't splittable, just that I was skeptical.

Do some searching yourself if you want proof.

That's not the way it works. If you are making claims, it is up to you to provide the proof. As codiene is not something that particularly interests me very much, it's not something I've done a hell of a lot of research on. A link to a forum in which it has been discussed as it is here may have convinced me, but you didn't provide anything, just a personal anecdote.

I'm not trying to cause an argument or anything. I just think that I would be an idiot if I believed everything that was posted on internet forums...and I'm sick of smoking banana peels and peanut skins :lol:. Good luck overcoming your addiction.

the experiments i know of regarding this concluded that this was bullshit and both halves contained codein even in the old days.

I think that would stem from if they were split on the normal half way line (across the standard indent split) but this showed that half(lengthways) of the pill did turn yellow and effervess and the other half didn't. Even to the layperson this would indicate two distict halves/parts to the pill, the modern day pills did indeed react very differently in my experiments. So it is atleast true that they have changed their formula. It stands to reason that they'd only bother doing this if there was a prob with the previous ones. Maybe they were easily splitable by codine adicts :lol: . After my experiments, I believe it.

Keeping the goodies separated from the baddies is nothing new, as far as OTC analgesics go.

My Dad reminisces about these pills him and his mates used to buy(circa 1960s-early 1970s), no idea what brand they were, but it was like one pill inside another....paracetamol with a codeine centre.

theity'd scrape out the middle of a whole heap...if I recall correctly the 'inner pill' was yellow...and they'd make you 'feel nice'.

So the question is...why? Why didnt they combine the two substances like they do now? If there was a problem with combos...How was this resolved? Or was the '1/2 1/2' production method simply an artefact of earlier pill-manufacturing processes?

The authorities are always out to thwart those who would use OTC drugs for kicks...sure seems to drive innovation.

I know we're talking Ibuprofen here, but maybe the same thing happened with paracetamol?

There's only one synthetic drug that I remain curious about that I would like to try in my lifetime and that is methaqualone that had its heyday in the 1970's.

Called "MANDRAX" (and known as 'mandies' on the street) in Australia and "QUAALUDE" overseas, this was a novel barbiturate that had a greater than average amount of 'niceness' to it.

Cheech and Chong films allude to it and its a real classic.

Sorry for going off topic. Just thinking out loud. I think wandjina's post about the 70's kind of steered me to think of this ;)