The Corroboree
prier

Mekhong

Lately I've been buying some Thai Whiskey that goes by the name of Mekhong, or so I'm led to believe on account of the fact that the only thing on the label in English is the number 35.

The person I first heard about this from is absolutely adamant that Mekhong contains opium, I've done a bit of research and came up with nothing in regards to the opium.

Does anyone know about this? Or know of any other opiate/alcohol related type occurrences?

Regardless I'll continue you to buy it, because it's not half bad and at $19 a bottle you can't go wrong. :wink:

Found this little write up! Sounds intresting!

Mass produced Thai whisky, (thankfully) unavailable in virtually every other country in the world. Very few things can be compared to a serious binge on Sang Thip.

Impossible to drink with anything but Coke, when it is purchased in a bar in Thailand you buy it by the quarter bottle. Needless to say that it is rumoured to contain hallucinogenic chemicals. Certainly, once intoxicated the drinker can reasonably expect a long period of blackout that is directly proportional to the number of quarter bottles consumed. If the drinker is lucky, or perhaps unlucky, they may be told of their extraordinary exploits during this period by other, less inebriated individuals. Depending on the level of consumption, the recounting of such shameful tales may be accompanied by much laughter, a Thai tourist police incident form, or a night's free accommodation in a sparsely furnished room with a ditch down the middle.

Reported effects include: running around outside a hotel four stories up on a two foot wide ledge; sudden and inexplicable bar fights with Thai Lady-boys (renowned for their kickboxing abilities); and awakening from the blackout on board a premature flight home. Sang Thip is the bane of hard-working Thai hoteliers' lives, but the main staple of bar owners' revenues.

Mekhong

This brand is named after the river that flows through Cambodia and Vietnam. It has similar properties to Sang Thip, but with one notable difference: if you upend a bottle of Mekhong in a glass of water in such a way that the pressure of the water does not allow the whisky to escape the bottle, a clear liquid will be seen to dribble into the water. This is glycerine, used to artificially boost the alcohol content, which can cause blindness if consumed in large quantities.

Happy drinking...

Edited by cisumevil

I think I just found the link you where looking at :) but you forgot to add,

Mekhong

This brand is named after the river that flows through Cambodia and Vietnam. It has similar properties to Sang Thip, but with one notable difference: if you upend a bottle of Mekhong in a glass of water in such a way that the pressure of the water does not allow the whisky to escape the bottle, a clear liquid will be seen to dribble into the water. This is glycerine, used to artificially boost the alcohol content, which can cause blindness if consumed in large quantities.

That's a bit scary. :unsure:

unknown_thai_liquor.jpgunknown_thai_liquor_label.jpg

Edited by prier

My brother came back with many story of the absurdly cheap whisky in Thailand and the silly shit that resulted, apparently $5 for a large bottle from 7/11.. :o

thais call any dark spirit whisky. most brands are actually more like rum with caramel colouring added for sale in the cities.

My brother came back with many story of the absurdly cheap whisky in Thailand and the silly shit that resulted, apparently $5 for a large bottle from 7/11.. :o

5 dollars buys you no only the spirit but a mixer and a bucket to drink it out of

5 dollars buys you no only the spirit but a mixer and a bucket to drink it out of

The bucket also doubles as something to throw up in once you're done drinking, or maybe put on your head as you run otherwise naked through the streets of Thailand? :P

The bucket also doubles as something to throw up in once you're done drinking, or maybe put on your head as you run otherwise naked through the streets of Thailand? :P

yes, quite similar to how you might use the buckets from KFC after eating the chicken after a massive drinking session

Edited by genki

I think I just found the link you where looking at :) but you forgot to add,

Mekhong

That's a bit scary. :unsure:

Glycerine cause blindness?

I wonder how they arrived at that conclusion?

Glycerine is almost completely non toxic. Heaps of foods contain it as an additive. It can however be irritating if consumed in large quantities undiluted.

I remember being in a hotel in the southern Thai city of had yai (sp?) in the late 1970's with a mate and we knocked off a bottle of that together and I had really strong opiate like dreams that night :rolleyes:

Needless to say we both bought our import limit of liquor back to Oz in the form of Mekhong hehehe!